Group Rides?

Motogeezer1949_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Do you? How often? How long have you been doing them? How many riders on average in the group? Has group riding improved your confidence and skill level?
Have you made new friends and met enthusiasts like yourself? Have these friendships enhanced your quality of life beyond just riding?
C'mon, spill it!
 
Our NJRATS.com group is a fine collection of enthusiasts who enjoy spirited rides, with a system in place that allows each to ride to the level of their ability or desire, without losing anyone. We do not parade or ride in formation, we do the backroads as they are meant to be ridden. We have built a level of trust up, so the dozen or so regulars are comfortable with each other. Even so, once we get past 6 or 7 riders, I tend to enjoy the ride less. I do find motorcycling to be a more solitary or small group endeavor.

I will not do the poker runs or mega- rides with hundreds of bikers. No fun, no interest, and too many drunks/ pirates/ squids.
 
We have a good sized bunch of KLR riders in the area and I have enjoyed many group rides, tech days, and cookouts with them. Three of us took a week last summer to ride GA, TN, NC and VA., and we had fun on the various parts of the Dragon. For me, three seems to be about the right sized group for a ride. More starts to get complicated and it's harder to stay together.
 
Enjoy group rides very much. I have ridden in large groups where I knew hardly anyone and those experiences were great, especially for showing me what to do and not do when leading a group ride of my own. However, I prefer to ride either alone or with my close friends who ride. Ideal group size for me is between 4 and 8--more than 10 makes it difficult on keeping things together. If I organize a ride that has more than 10, I split it into two groups.

Riding with experienced riders has helped me become a better rider....it's also great to have a "point man" who knows the roads, the turns, and will be the first to hit loose gravel LOL.

I have made several new friends from group rides and we now ride together often. My core group of riders were friends long before riding became big parts of our lives. Our trips together are well-documented on this forum and riding has definitely brought us closer together.

I like tooling around by myself, too, but riding with my wife and friends has brought me some of the best experiences of my life.
 
A lot in this thread resonates - both ways. Have enjoyed many solo rides where the conversation is with me and the bike only. Have had a blast on group rides and picked up some improved riding skills. Really enjoyed riding on trips with my brother.
 
I like the odd large group ride for a worthy cause, although I seldom know anyone. I enjoy the noise and the energy that appears when a large group of motorcycles sets out for a trip. I don't always enjoy watching the antics of some of the idiots some events flush out, but there are ways to keep out of their way.

Most of the time, though, I ride alone and thoroughly enjoy it. I can persuade myself I have all sorts of abilities I don't, but there's no one there either to compare with or contradict me. I can go as fast or slow as I want and stop and start when I want.

In the past 12 months I've also done a couple of long distance rides with Pterodactyl; once another bloke came with us as well. They've been good rides. We get on well and, on a trip of more than a couple of days, it's good to have someone to talk with in the evenings. The riding with just two of us is good too. Pterodactyl is usually kind enough not to get too far ahead and we seem happy to ride along a similar pace. I hope I get to do some more riding with him this year.
 
I have ridden with a HOG (Harley Owners Group) chapter in the past, and still do, even though I no longer have a Harley. I also ride with a RAT pack (Rider Association of Triumph). I enjoy riding by myself but I really do like riding in a group better. Nothing like a bunch a bike rolling down the highway. I also organize a yearly ride called the Friends' Ride. We are usually around 15 bikes. I also participate in local charity rides such as Emily's Parade, and the Children's hospital Toy Run. I've also been riding with friends every year to Sturgis for the past 6 years, and don't plan on stopping. Riding by yourself sometimes feels like going to a movie by yourself. Every once in a while it's awesome, but most of the time, I'd rather have friends with me. I have a couple buddies that I often ride with, so often it's just Jeff and I, or Shaun and I, and occasionally the 3 of us. Most of my friends are bikers.
 
I've been the secretary/treasurer of a vintage motorcycle club for 20 years and we have a very active riding schedule of group rides about every two weeks.
The numbers can vary fro 10-15, to 25-35. 95% of us have been riding together for over 20 years and we only ride on back roads at speeds of not much more than 90 kph (55 mph).
We have many coastal roads with beautiful scenery so the slower speeds allow us to enjoy the scenery and the old bikes are not stressed.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Do you? How often? How long have you been doing them? How many riders on average in the group? Has group riding improved your confidence and skill level?
Have you made new friends and met enthusiasts like yourself? Have these friendships enhanced your quality of life beyond just riding?
C'mon, spill it!
i do.
a few local per riding season and one big one in ohio each year.
local group since i started riding and been doing the ohio one for many years. (as both rider and passenger)
local group can be from 3 - 10 cycles. the ohio one can be 30 - 40 ish.
i also did one in Tennessee last year for the first time with maybe 20 cycles.
all the above are with the same group of people from a different forum.
i have learned alot from riding with the group.
made great friends that go beyond just riding.



pic from an old group ride.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/bug%20bash%2010%20-%202013/100_2654_zpsa0e20016.jpg.html]
pic from a smaller ohio ride
 
When I first started riding in the mid eighties
I used to ride with a fast pack of Ninjas.
Guess over the years I have turned into more of a loaner
Although it's human nature to seek out like minded individuals, I don't feel the need to hang out with others just because they have the same hobby, interest, etc.
So, no car shows, team sports, motorcycle groups or hiking clubs any more....
 
See post # 15 for a piece I wrote for the Goldwing Riders Newsletter on my thoughts on group riding LOL

Riding in groups?

That said I had a great time on the CB rally rides, except for the two days I lost 2 guys on each ride lol

 
We do a couple of charity rides each year and bad experience has taught us to ride well behind the group.

The best group ride ever was at the NC rally. All rode safely and responsibly making for a really fine experience. Special thanks to Ferret, dUh and others who made sure the group rides were entertaining and safe.:beerchug:
 
NC Rally was the first large group ride for me....totally enjoyed it.....thanks to all who organized it!

I enjoyed Ferret's pace through the twisties....fast enough to be both challenging and enjoyable.

The only problem I saw was we lost sight of the pack behind us a few times.....I don't know the answer to that.

I understand the unwritten rule / courtesy of not passing the rider in front of you. Probably a good rule most of the time.

However I wondered....if the rider in front of you starts to lose the pack....then maybe it would be good idea to pass them?

That would kind of self sort the faster riders from the slower riders and since the delay of a group slowing, speeding up, stopping, starting tends to bunch everyone together again, it would all work out to keep the group together?

Just wondering out loud.....totally enjoyed the group as it was and can't wait to do it again!
 
The ferret_imp said:
See post # 15 for a piece I wrote for the Goldwing Riders Newsletter on my thoughts on group riding LOL

Riding in groups?

That said I had a great time on the CB rally rides, except for the two days I lost 2 guys on each ride lol



Wow, I just read your piece from the link you provided. I happen to organize at least one group ride a year, and I can relate to what you've said. Aware of all this I usually try to plan and anticipate for all that, though it's never full proof.

I plan a short ride of about four hours, so no need to stop for hotels, and such. I provide breakfast (breakfast burritos, donuts, coffee, and juice). Some gladly eat, and appreciate the gesture, and some will pack their burrito for later.

I tell everyone that we will be stopping right outside of town (within 5 miles) to fill up, and go potty, even if they have done so already. Stopping before we've even fully warmed up since to be fine with everyone, especially if they know what the plan is.

I tell them that there is no hurry, and we go when we're all there. While others pee, the others just talk, and take pictures.

We ride for a couple hours in the hills/mountains above Denver, then stop for lunch in the town that was planned for lunch. At which point everyone is free to eat where they want, but they know that in one hour we'll all meet at that gas station there. Some have really small range bikes such as my '14 Harley Seventy-Two was with its 2.1 gallon tank/80-90 miles range.

After riding that stretch to lunch, people can either make the meeting time, and ride with the group the last planned stretch, or head back down on their own, their own way, in smaller groups, alone, or stay behind for a longer lunch. So if they feel they want to ride those curves again, but faster, they can.

I try to anticipate the needs but I think the ride is short enough that no one looses patience, and I give plenty of information so they all know what to expect. Those who can't live with what's planned usually don't show up, as they know from previous years riding with me exactly what to expect. Maximum speed is usually 55mph. I never, ever go over the speed limit, and follow every warning signs to slow down in the curves. I don't think anyone ever felt uncomfortable with the pace. The size of our bikes ranges from 1800cc down to 250cc. Some need to be in 3rd gear, while others are in 4th or 5th gear, but we all keep up nicely, unless the leader (me) would decide to accelerate as if at the drag racing strip, which I don't.

I go over the rules of riding in a group. I pre-ride the route twice. The first time to preview the route design, and the second, only a couple days before the actual ride, to assess the road conditions, and newly started road work, or any other unexpected things, such as overflowing waters, sand, pot holes, etc...

There is a specific start time, yes, but it's ok. We are all back home by 2 or 3 pm, leaving room for whatever other plans people have for the rest of their day, and they can leave early if they wish at lunch, and take a shorter way home.

I think that all the points you addressed are going to make me think on how to do next year's Friends' Ride, even better, and more pleasing to everyone. That is, if it's ever possible, since as we all know, you just can't please everybody. But those who come back seem to enjoy the ride, as it seems to cater to their/my style.

In the words of Fog Hat, its a "slow ride, take it easy".
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
NC Rally was the first large group ride for me....totally enjoyed it.....thanks to all who organized it!

I enjoyed Ferret's pace through the twisties....fast enough to be both challenging and enjoyable.

The only problem I saw was we lost sight of the pack behind us a few times.....I don't know the answer to that.

I understand the unwritten rule / courtesy of not passing the rider in front of you. Probably a good rule most of the time.

However I wondered....if the rider in front of you starts to lose the pack....then maybe it would be good idea to pass them?

That would kind of self sort the faster riders from the slower riders and since the delay of a group slowing, speeding up, stopping, starting tends to bunch everyone together again, it would all work out to keep the group together?

Just wondering out loud.....totally enjoyed the group as it was and can't wait to do it again!
For what it's worth offroad, it seems to me important that every group ride have a person at the rear who stays with the slowest rider in the group. It's as important as the person up the front. I think it ought to be OK to pass the person in front of you if you want to ride more quickly and others in the group are doing so, provided there's someone bringing up the rear.
 
There is no rule in group riding that says you can't pass another bike. When you are asked not to pass other bikes, it simply means not in the same lane. Staggered riding formation affords every rider more space in case of an emergency stop, or avoiding an object. Passing another rider within his/her own lane who doesn't expect you to do so, will restrict his/her ability to move within his/her own lane. Bikes need to be able to use the entire width of the lane at all time. Passing another rider within his/her lane, either on the right or the left is plain dangerous. The proper way to pass another rider is the same as when passing a car, by using either another lane, or use the on coming traffic lane. This way the rider you are passing can clearly see you passing him/her, and you're not catching him/her off guard by snicking up on him/her. Also the group will see you passing, and will be able to adjust/slow down to let you back in, and everyone may have to readjust the staggered formation. The only time you may be side by side in the same lane, is when the group is coming to a stop at either a stop light or a stop, so the group doesn't take as much space on the road. Riding side by side is illegal in many states. I have one friend who thinks that creeping up on others within their lane is ok when he wants to talk to them. No one ever wants to ride with him, because he is unpredictable.

Also there should always be a road captain at the front, and a sweeper at the back of the group. That is not so much for pace, as it is to make sure no one is left alone in case of a mechanical/medical problem, or a fall.

I love group riding. The rules are clear, simple, and not all that hard to follow. A good road captain will anticipate traffic, will look out for the group, and will make careful moves, making lane changes only after making sure that there is enough space for the whole group to move over safely, just as an 18 wheeler truck driver would to move his long rig over to another lane. However and ultimately any rider is responsible for his/her own safety, and should never follow blindly the group without making sure that the move is safe for him or herself.
 
Back
Top