Grip Puppies

KiowaEagle_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I just picked up a pair on the recommendation of many on this forum. One question though. They seem to be about 3/8 of an inch too long for my 2014 model's grips. Did you trim them or just put them on and compress them a bit. I understand they're not the easiest things to get on so I don't want to get one on and realize after the fact that I should have trimmed it first.
 
They weren't too long on my 2014, if you think they need trimmed, do it before putting them on. Pretty easy to get on, would think they might be harder to get off though. Good Luck !
 
Kiowa, do you have heated grips? That may be why.
 
I trimmed mine first. Just kinda winged it, turned out fine. But yeah putting them on is much easier than taking them off intact.
Soapy water did the trick for me btw on installing them.
 
I had them on my bike for about 800 miles before one tore and split so I took them off about 2 weeks ago.

Yes, I had to cut them off the end closer to the center to fit my shorter heated grips.

The end that split on the one (throttle side) was not the end that I cut though.

Surprisingly although I remember noticing more comfort when I put them on- I didn't notice any perceived discomfort once I removed them.

If anything, I now welcome the better connection to the bars- less disconnect- feel like I am holding a marshmallow. We will see how I feel as the season progresses.

For install I used windex instead of soap. Less chance of residual suds showing up in the rain. :)
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the input guys. No, I don't have heated grips and they aren't all together too long, it just looks like they go past where the grips flare on either side and I didn't know whether they would ride up on them or it would compress them too much. I think I'll try them without trimming, at the worse I'll be out $20.
 
For both my CB500 and CB1100 EX I trimmed my Grip Puppies to 4 1/2 inches long. Place one on a flat surface that can take a box knife cut. Place a steel ruler on the puppy so the 4 1/2 inch mark reaches the back of the it. Now push the ruler down to flatten the puppy. Use the box knife to trim the puppy at the zero end of the ruler. Using the end of the ruler as a guide will keep the cut clean and square.

They are easy to install if your soak them is some warm water with a bit of dishwashing soap in it. Once they dry they will not slip. Bikers have been using soap and water to install handle grips for decades.
 
Thread starter
Update....Installed them yesterday. I didn't bother trimming them, they did just ride up on the flared end as I expected. They weren't all that difficult to get on either. But boy, what a difference! I was surprised how much fatter they made the grips feel, they didn't look all that thick. Much more comfortable now.
 
Did you buy the Grip Puppy brand? What size did you get?
 
Thread starter
I did get the Grip Puppy brand. They were the standard size I suppose, model FBA_91424. Didn't see any others. They're $18.25 on Amazon so couldn't go wrong. Worth every penny so far, we'll see how they last.
 
I had soft grips (not Puppies) on one of the BMW's when I bought it. I also didn't like the soft, no feedback , feel. I took a different approach. An approach I have used on the BMW and other bikes in the past.
If you have some random lengths of paracord (or similar size cord) wrap the grips with it. I used the larger 550 Mil Spec cord (4 mm). I believe I needed 6 - 8' for each grip.
It is an 'old salty sailor' trick. Begin with a loop lenghtwise on the grip. The first couple of wraps are somewhat tricky to do without loosing the first part of the loop. But, try to keep the loop straight and parrallel. make the wrap snug, but not too tight or you won't be able to pull the free end in to finish the project. The last wrap is put through the open end of the loop. It is then pulled under the wraps using the short exposed end of the loop where you started wrapping. Cut off the excess ends and you are finished.
jim
0a761ad673ec26004052189851a2ec15.

3edc99913b67801db5906822682f49a3.
 
tinboatcaptain, your links did not work for me. I think they used to call that technique whipping?
 
I am such a dinosaur with technology. I really have no clue how to fix it. I had, in the past, a Flickr account but they pulled every thing off when they sold/merged. I had eventually figured that system out. I'll eventually get this fixed...I hope.

And you are right it is called "Whipping". Such arcane knowledge is the side effect of growing up in a Naval family.

jim
 
Back
Top