Great roads

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
some great motorcycle roads in the U.S.

12 Best Motorcycle Roads in America

I have ridden 10 of the 12 roads on that list. Three Sisters in Texas (Tx 335,336,and 337) and San Juan Mountain Skyway in Colorado have eluded me, although I have ridden in both of those states. I can tell from Stichills recent seat time report I need to go back to Texas. Hopefully another trip to Colorado to pick up San Juan as well.

There are other great roads as well

Lewis and Clark Trail Rt 12 In Idaho
Chief Joseph Pass in Montana Hwy 43
Kancamagus Highway Rt 112 in New Hampshire
Smugglers Notch RT 108 in Vermont
Overseas Highway in Florida US Rt 1
Grand Staircase Escalante Rt 12 in Utah
Rattlesnake Grade in Washington 129 and Oregon 3
Diamond Back Rt 226A, Devil's Staircase and Murder Mountain Run in North Carolina
Claw of the Dragon Rt 16 in Virginia (we rode this at the CB rally in 2015)
Rattlesnake KY 192 in Kentucky

I'm missing 2 from that list as well, Rattlesnake 192 which I hope to hit before the rally in Ky and Grand Staircase Escalante Rt 12 in Utah I hope to ride in September.

How many have you ridden?

Any other great roads you think need to be on the list?
 
I've done the Kancamagus Highway (several times) and Smuggler's Notch. If I had known about the Grand Staircase Escalante I would have ridden it when I passed through Utah in '08.

What about the BRP?
 
Thread starter
BRP is number 4 on the 12 best roads list I linked to (a fabulous road btw)
 
Tail of the Dragon
Cherohala Skyway
Pig Trail
Tunnel of Trees

I should pick up Natchez Trace Pwy and Blue Ridge Pwy this summer. Somehow, never heard of Skyline Drive and may have to check it's proximity to where I will be this summer.
SO....Skyline Drive is in Georgia? Then are there two Shenandoah National Parks? Because, my map shows it in Virginia.
 
Thread starter
Sea... Skyline Drive is at the north end of the Blue Ridge. In Virginia actually, just above Front Royal Virginia. About 160 miles long. Not the most scenic but ok. Too far north for good mountain views. 35 mph speed limit.
 
OK... this is a good place to ask this question. My group will be based near Gatlinburg, TN for our trip this October to the Smoky Mtns. I would draw up a loop from there that touches Georgia, mainly so I can check that state off my list. I figured that it's about 125 miles to the Georgia Line from where I think we're staying. A 250 mile round-trip is a long 'day ride' for most in my group, so if we make a run down there, it has to be worth it. My question, then, is this: Is there a 'do not miss' road in Georgia that runs close to the TN/GA border?
 
Gatlinburg TN! Hope you like honky tonk.
I used to go to Rabun Gap GA a fair bit and liked the area, if I remember correctly we took a fairly fun road - 106/246 from Highlands NC. Been a while though so roads might have been improved since then. Was in Gatlinburg area in the fall, lots of people.
Smokymountainrider.com might be a resource.
The roads through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park are great rides as is 441 but fairly crowded. Little River Gorge, Newfound Gap. Close to Cherohala Parkway.
 
Thanks 4 Paws, for the information. As for Gatlinburg. a) I do like honky tonk ,but b) We are not staying in Gatlinburg, but I wanted to give folks here a point of reference. We'll be closer to Wear Valley, I think. I've been to the area before and know a good number of the roads in the immediate vacinity, but I've not been to GA yet. Could be that it'll have wait for another trip, but I'll check out the website. Thanks again!
 
baxtercat_imp said:
Kancamangus shake-down tour June 2017 VT 100 might also be on that list.
Thanks for this picture, I think it's settled - I need a set of silver side covers.

But didn't you just get a '17?
 
yes indeed. got a pretty good deal in February with the trade-in. took delivery last week. keeping the tradition alive, she needs to be christened with a great road trip--eg Cabot Trail.

 
Thread starter
BTW in case you didn't click on the link the top 12 roads listed in the article are

1 Tail of the Dragon Tenn/NC (We rode this at the CB Rally in 2015)
2 Cherohala Skyway Tenn/NC (We rode this at the CB rally in 2015)
3 Twisted Sisters (aka 3 sisters) Texas
4 Blue Ridge Parkway Va and NC (Rode this at the CB rally in 2015)
5 Beartooth Highway Mont and Wyo
6 Pacific Coast Highway Cal
7 Skyline Dr (they say Ga but it's in Va as far as I know and I have ridden it)
8 Pig Trail Scenic Byway Ark (We rode this at the CB the rally in 2017)
9 San Juan Skyway Colorado
10 Natchez parkway Tenn
11Going to the Sun Road Mont
12 Tunnel of Trees Mich




Sea.. Moonshiner 28 runs from RT 19/74 NC just s/w of Cherokee down into Ga and War Woman road runs off 28 in Ga.

https://moonshiner28.com/

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2012/06/08/roadrunners-bucket-list-roads-moonshiner-28/

Google Maps

 
The best I have ever ridden were:

1. The Rattler Route 209 starting in Hot Springs NC.
2. The Backbone of the Dragon Route 16 Tazewell to Marion Viginia.

Have ridden the Tail of the Dragon. Not bad but speed limit is low, it's crowded and there are Tennessee State troopers all over it.
 
Thread starter
The Back of the Dragon is actually a section of the Claw of the Dragon RT 16 near Wytheville, Va. We held the CB rally there in 2016. It was a pretty intense ride. Beautiful area.

http://www.clawofthedragon.com/maps.html
 
Thanks, Ferret! War Woman Rd. looks like exactly what I was looking for and I think I can pick up a stretch of BRP on the way back.

Nice.
 
Thread starter
There was another road in N Ga that we rode that was really cool. Lots of back and forth banked turns that made it a lot of fun. I'm trying to remember the name or number. May have to text my son or nephew who have better memory's than I do.

Edit: Nephew said it was in the section of 28 from 19/74 down to war woman rd.
 
Thread starter
You may be right Cormanus I'm better with route numbers than with dates lol. I'll trust you and fix them.

Btw your first map there is Moonshiner 28 and War Woman rd
 
Back
Top