GREAT engine...

Red Mist_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I just gotta say this big 1140cc powerplant is a free-revving brick. Other than not having much lean angle, the engine works as well as any sportbike, I keep it betwixt about 5-8 grand all the time in the canyons and just gives me the kind of control I'd expect from a real sporting machine. Lots of authority, zips right up to redline, never protests, pulls HARD, and sounds real nice. FUN to ride.

Shocks are next on the list of mods.
 
I agree. While many media articles have bemoaned that the power output is not what you'd find on a similar sized sport bike, they're missing the point. This engine has the most linear power band of any bike I've owned, with plenty of grunt at the low end. The sweet spot is anywhere between 3.5K and 7.5K. Perfect for carving canyons without having to shift once or twice in every turn.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
I just gotta say this big 1140cc powerplant is a free-revving brick. Other than not having much lean angle, the engine works as well as any sportbike, I keep it betwixt about 5-8 grand all the time in the canyons and just gives me the kind of control I'd expect from a real sporting machine. Lots of authority, zips right up to redline, never protests, pulls HARD, and sounds real nice. FUN to ride.

Shocks are next on the list of mods.
Flynrider_imp said:
I agree. While many media articles have bemoaned that the power output is not what you'd find on a similar sized sport bike, they're missing the point. This engine has the most linear power band of any bike I've owned, with plenty of grunt at the low end. The sweet spot is anywhere between 3.5K and 7.5K. Perfect for carving canyons without having to shift once or twice in every turn.
So true. The VFR was for me a great ride but the above is the defining characteristic of the CB. I love it and I don't need any more "power".

Cheers
 
Yeah, I'm probably one of the youngest ones on the forum; 21. I have had both an 07 CBR600rr, 1975 CB750, and an 11 HD Sportster, and this bike has everything Ive ever wanted from the sportster, everything the CB750 ever was, and as much power as I could want from the CBR, this is just...the perfect bike; so modular, so quick, Im 6'6 and 160, lanky as hell, and I look and fit so well, its just...the only bike i could ever want more is the 14 DLX but i just got my 13 2 weeks ago lol
 
All of the above.

And welcome Vossero :hello:
 
Thread starter
Vossero_imp said:
Yeah, I'm probably one of the youngest ones on the forum; 21. I have had both an 07 CBR600rr, 1975 CB750, and an 11 HD Sportster, and this bike has everything Ive ever wanted from the sportster, everything the CB750 ever was, and as much power as I could want from the CBR, this is just...the perfect bike; so modular, so quick, Im 6'6 and 160, lanky as hell, and I look and fit so well, its just...the only bike i could ever want more is the 14 DLX but i just got my 13 2 weeks ago lol
Now there's a kid who has got his head on straight. Even used a ten-dollar word or two.

That's a real spectum o' bikes you've owned, gives you a real good perspective. I remember (when I do remember anything) that my goal was to own at least one of every kind of bike; dirt bikes, cruisers, hard-core sport bikes, touring bikes, and so on.

Only kind I gave up on was the big heavy tourers. Almost bought an ST1100 the first year they came out, just fell in love with it and rode one, but didn't do it, and as the years rolled by I found my kind of touring always took me places the bigger bikes didn't want to go. Otherwise, I think I covered most of the types.

That Yamaha SR400 is looking like it could fill a emotional vacancy I think I have jest recently developed. Howthesomever I think Cap'n Kidd (my loyal and jealous steed) would be envious and so it would have to be stabled at the far side of the garage. Otherwise the Cap'n would kick it into next year after bitin' its fenders off.
 
I also agree. Coming off a older highly modified Bandit was concerned about how I'd react to the missing power. My son wanted the Bandit so I gave it to him . While riding a few weeks back we pulled out together on a calm stretch of state highway not far from my home and I knew when we took off my son was fixing to air out the old Bandit and I was fixing to be disappointed . He got the jump on me about twenty feet and we were off. Very much to my surprise I was able to hang right in there till I quit about 100, felt like John Wayne on a giraffe at that speed . Didn't get close to speed limiter though power was good all the way to redline. After listening to others here I thought my CB may be the one that slipped through the cracks. Quess I don't want to be let down when hitting limiter. Third time I've run it this hard up to that point , I don't normally ride that way. Other than throttle slack adjustment and oil change at 500 miles to Amsoil motorcycle 5w30 it's as it came to me. I love this thing!
 
When I was reading about the CB prior to purchase, I'm glad I ignored all of the people who reviewed it and said the power was lackluster. I'm coming it to a 750 Shadow and comparatively this thing is a monster! Not sure I'd want to go much faster.

"Yea bro, but check out my Hayabusa" No thanks. CB's got style.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
When I was reading about the CB prior to purchase, I'm glad I ignored all of the people who reviewed it and said the power was lackluster. I'm coming it to a 750 Shadow and comparatively this thing is a monster! Not sure I'd want to go much faster.

"Yea bro, but check out my Hayabusa" No thanks. CB's got style.
For real though...when i was 18 and had the CBR...it was all about speed and power...and ive always heard people say things like:

"Id never want to go that fast"

or

"It has enough power for me"

and Id always be like...wow...what a pansy...

BUT

This CB...really DOES have enough power, and i really WOULDNT want to go that fast haha...this bike is just perfect. literally nothing i would want different about it, maybe a fairing, like way more fairing options, because everyone has the same one! lol
 
Just think what a 450 lb bike with 140 to 200 hp is like! I just looked at a Ducati monster 1200s but not sure I need that level of power.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Vossero_imp said:
Yeah, I'm probably one of the youngest ones on the forum; 21. I have had both an 07 CBR600rr, 1975 CB750, and an 11 HD Sportster, and this bike has everything Ive ever wanted from the sportster, everything the CB750 ever was, and as much power as I could want from the CBR, this is just...the perfect bike; so modular, so quick, Im 6'6 and 160, lanky as hell, and I look and fit so well, its just...the only bike i could ever want more is the 14 DLX but i just got my 13 2 weeks ago lol
I may be one of the oldest on the forum as my DLX will arrive in June, a gift from my wife for my 70th birthday. I have to sell my GL1800 but still... This is my first post and I'm not sure what I am doing. This is a trial post. I hope to find info on access0ories like engine guards, luggage rack/sissy bar. I hope to make the CB a sport tourer.
 
I may be one of the oldest on the forum as my DLX will arrive in June, a gift from my wife for my 70th birthday. I have to sell my GL1800 but still... This is my first post and I'm not sure what I am doing. This is a trial post. I hope to find info on access0ories like engine guards, luggage rack/sissy bar. I hope to make the CB a sport tourer.
[/QUOTE]

You're doing great. I am a newbie here as well but I think I have been here long enough to say welcome and congratulations on your new CB
 
Hey, there, welcome terrymck. Enjoy the forum—there's plenty of help and information here.

Most of all, enjoy the bike. :)
 
terrymck_imp said:
Vossero_imp said:
Yeah, I'm probably one of the youngest ones on the forum; 21. I have had both an 07 CBR600rr, 1975 CB750, and an 11 HD Sportster, and this bike has everything Ive ever wanted from the sportster, everything the CB750 ever was, and as much power as I could want from the CBR, this is just...the perfect bike; so modular, so quick, Im 6'6 and 160, lanky as hell, and I look and fit so well, its just...the only bike i could ever want more is the 14 DLX but i just got my 13 2 weeks ago lol
I may be one of the oldest on the forum as my DLX will arrive in June, a gift from my wife for my 70th birthday. I have to sell my GL1800 but still... This is my first post and I'm not sure what I am doing. This is a trial post. I hope to find info on access0ories like engine guards, luggage rack/sissy bar. I hope to make the CB a sport tourer.
Welcome sir, not sure you are the oldest on the forum but you are probably close.
You did fine with your first post. Please go to the new members forum and introduce yourself and tell us some of your background.

In the meantime, get busy with the search engine to find out info or if you cant find what you are looking for post up and we will help.

70 and wanting a "sport tourer".., I love it! Good on ya my friend.
 
Welcome!

And I'm glad to hear we can still ride when we are 70! At least I hope I can. :)
 
I've a mate who'll be 70 next year and still going strong as a rider. I reckon there's hope for us all.
 
terrymck_imp said:
Vossero_imp said:
Yeah, I'm probably one of the youngest ones on the forum; 21. I have had both an 07 CBR600rr, 1975 CB750, and an 11 HD Sportster, and this bike has everything Ive ever wanted from the sportster, everything the CB750 ever was, and as much power as I could want from the CBR, this is just...the perfect bike; so modular, so quick, Im 6'6 and 160, lanky as hell, and I look and fit so well, its just...the only bike i could ever want more is the 14 DLX but i just got my 13 2 weeks ago lol
I may be one of the oldest on the forum as my DLX will arrive in June, a gift from my wife for my 70th birthday. I have to sell my GL1800 but still... This is my first post and I'm not sure what I am doing. This is a trial post. I hope to find info on access0ories like engine guards, luggage rack/sissy bar. I hope to make the CB a sport tourer.
Welcome, you have just made me an even younger member of the forum (I'm 70 in Feb '15). This is a great forum. Masses of information and some really great people who always respond when a member asks for advice or assistance. Keep riding, keep posting. Look forward to the ride reports.

As a matter of fact, you know, the 1940s produced some fine vintages. :)

Cheers
 
Back
Top