Got These Today

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Having read of some forum members having the misfortune of accidents or dropping their bikes while moving them, I decided it was past time for some crash guards. These very nicely crafted SW Motech bars arrived today. Ordered a set for Pamela's V-strom as well.

35a1580433532706db03d0574dd12757.jpg


45f2a87a7f4e60f15d2726a6d623ed43.jpg


d55f2ed2d985983707be6fd7b935e1ce.jpg
 
I have these same guards and like them a lot. A word of warning though, don't buy the MFW highway pegs and clamp kit for these, even though they say they fit. I did and the clamps just don't fit properly. When you tighten them down to get them correctly positioned they scratch the bars, and no matter how I tried they never would line up right but off at a weird angle. That's what happened to mine and I had to refinish my brand new crash guards at the time (wasn't at all happy about that.) Ended up returning the pegs but keeping the bars.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Having read of some forum members having the misfortune of accidents or dropping their bikes while moving them, I decided it was past time for some crash guards. These very nicely crafted SW Motech bars arrived today. Ordered a set for Pamela's V-strom as well.

35a1580433532706db03d0574dd12757.jpg


45f2a87a7f4e60f15d2726a6d623ed43.jpg


d55f2ed2d985983707be6fd7b935e1ce.jpg
I'm thinking about getting those myself.
Where did you order those from? Twisted Throttle?
 
I installed these on my bike as well a couple days ago.
The right side crash bar sticks out quite a bit and looks like you could never scrape the engine or covers but the left side crash bar doesn't stick out but a tad past the left side engine cover, I held a level from the left side crash bar to a couple points to the back of the bike and the level hit the engine covers at a few different points.
Not sure if that is a good way to gauge where the bike may touch if its laid over or not.
I really like them and feel a little better knowing they are on there tho.
 
Nice purchase Redbirds !! Been busy with Summer and work, I'll try to catch up with you in the next month or so..

Make sure you post some pictures when you get them mounted.
 
Thread starter
LARIDER_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Having read of some forum members having the misfortune of accidents or dropping their bikes while moving them, I decided it was past time for some crash guards. These very nicely crafted SW Motech bars arrived today. Ordered a set for Pamela's V-strom as well.

35a1580433532706db03d0574dd12757.jpg


45f2a87a7f4e60f15d2726a6d623ed43.jpg


d55f2ed2d985983707be6fd7b935e1ce.jpg
I'm thinking about getting those myself.
Where did you order those from? Twisted Throttle?
I'm thinking about getting those myself.
Where did you order those from? Twisted Throttle?
Yes, Twisted Throttle.
JF Coastal_imp said:
Nice purchase Redbirds !! Been busy with Summer and work, I'll try to catch up with you in the next month or so..

Make sure you post some pictures when you get them mounted.
Hey JF, it's almost too hot and humid to ride now anyway but things should improve by September.

Pictures later today if we can get the garden work done this morning.
 
WHAT???? Too hot to ride, but ok to WORK in the garden?

Something doesn't seem right there
 
johnnyj_imp said:
I installed these on my bike as well a couple days ago.
The right side crash bar sticks out quite a bit and looks like you could never scrape the engine or covers but the left side crash bar doesn't stick out but a tad past the left side engine cover, I held a level from the left side crash bar to a couple points to the back of the bike and the level hit the engine covers at a few different points.
Not sure if that is a good way to gauge where the bike may touch if its laid over or not.
I really like them and feel a little better knowing they are on there tho.
This is tied to the fact that engines on our bikes are not symmetrical — the left side protrudes out a fair amount further than the right side. Although I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to provide an equal amount of protection for both sides.
 
redbirds_imp said:
LARIDER_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Having read of some forum members having the misfortune of accidents or dropping their bikes while moving them, I decided it was past time for some crash guards. These very nicely crafted SW Motech bars arrived today. Ordered a set for Pamela's V-strom as well.

35a1580433532706db03d0574dd12757.jpg


45f2a87a7f4e60f15d2726a6d623ed43.jpg


d55f2ed2d985983707be6fd7b935e1ce.jpg
I'm thinking about getting those myself.
Where did you order those from? Twisted Throttle?
I'm thinking about getting those myself.
Where did you order those from? Twisted Throttle?
Yes, Twisted Throttle.
JF Coastal_imp said:
Nice purchase Redbirds !! Been busy with Summer and work, I'll try to catch up with you in the next month or so..

Make sure you post some pictures when you get them mounted.
Hey JF, it's almost too hot and humid to ride now anyway but things should improve by September.

Pictures later today if we can get the garden work done this morning.
Yes, Twisted Throttle.

They are also available from Revzilla, which is where I got mine.
 
Thread starter
Bars are installed on both bikes. These bars fit perfect and were easy to install (about 45 min per bike). I took some pictures that show an idea of the level of protection that might be expected if the bike was dropped. Left side would have the least safety margin I think.

4f938e2d34fec6b635b5e00abe884244.jpg


e9d8355ce5f3f59f831de2eb68c3291f.jpg


169c417866931ee02b32906125e19ab2.jpg


67a114a386c09ff3d43a3cf70eb4a8e2.jpg


225d3b1985194f734a6cd07784644123.jpg


ceadd969c83c789b98645b7a9b55354a.jpg
 
Pam's look cooler :D

Is the oil filter always that exposed ? or do you still have a faring off ?

I like the black guards on the CB, they seem to just blend in to look like extensions of the frame.
The ferret_imp said:
WHAT???? Too hot to ride, but ok to WORK in the garden?

Something doesn't seem right there
There have been some very humid days here when I was dying to go for a ride. I would put my helmet on and rip it right back off. I think its a lot dryer up and over your way.

Besides, you don't need to wear AGATTs in the garden.
 
Thread starter
Chapomis_imp said:
Pam's look cooler :D

Is the oil filter always that exposed ? or do you still have a faring off ?

I like the black guards on the CB, they seem to just blend in to look like extensions of the frame.
The ferret_imp said:
WHAT???? Too hot to ride, but ok to WORK in the garden?

Something doesn't seem right there
There have been some very humid days here when I was dying to go for a ride. I would put my helmet on and rip it right back off. I think its a lot dryer up and over your way.

Besides, you don't need to wear AGATTs in the garden.
You can get a shield for the filter but I see no need. Oil filters are pretty tough and since the bike is not ridden in rocky off road areas it's fine.
 
Look great. When my wife quits riding if I have 100K miles on the ST, I'm going to sell it and get one like Pam's. I like that.

PS you have a great looking area to work on bikes.
 
Very nice! I have a set coming in by the end of this week, looking forward to getting them installed.

Any caveats, warnings, suggestions, etc about the install?
 
Back
Top