Got My Permit - 1st Bike?

Cory_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi:
Hope no one minds - I did ask before, but am actually ready now.
The first bike that I sat on that I said, "Oh yes." about was a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, but there's not a local dealer and am not into risking massive inconvenience (unless maybe it's a 2nd bike).
Having considered everything on 2 wheels, the next bike that I sat on and said, "I think this is it." was the Honda CB1100. Just seemed possibly perfect.
It will be my first road bike, but I'm a moderately accomplished former Amatuer motocross racer. Was even in MXA twice; in full-disclosure it was totally by accident and po'd my friends off who were much better than I.
The search for a pure standard motorcycle from a nearby dealership has fingers pointing to a Suzuki SV650, Yamaha XSR900, Suzuki Bandit 1250 or a Honda CB1100 EX.
My question, if you get a chance, is - Which ****** bike should I get?
Looking at making it happen within 2 months.
Thanks.
 
Well, for a first road bike I would frankly be tempted to direct you to the SV. I don't recall your other posts so I don't know what transpired. (I may even have chipped in, who knows?)

In your shoes I might also be tempted to try out a good used 12-14 year old FZ6. These can be had for $3k and resold for same when you're ready to move on.

My first road bike - that I actually owned - was a VFR800. Not a smart bike for a newb, but I owned if for 5 seasons and survived. So who am I to talk?
 
My first bike was a 56 AJS that hardly ran. My first bike that ran was a 350 Honda 4, the velvet shriek as cycle world called it, back in the day. I enjoy the cb1100 as my only bike. It seems heavy for a first bike. Sounds like you've been doing the lite off road thing. Its a sweet ride for a good deal. Skip the intermediate step and heads for the big league.
 
Cory Wrote:The search for a pure standard motorcycle from a nearby dealership has fingers pointing to a Suzuki SV650, Yamaha XSR900, Suzuki Bandit 1250 or a Honda CB1100 EX.
Hmmm. I currently own the CB1100 EX and the Yamaha XSR900, and I used to own those two Suzukis. Also, I was a motorcycle dealer for over a decade.

The fact that you're an accomplished former motocrosser does change things a bit, since you're not the typical new rider. You already know how to use a clutch, you know about the basic dynamics of operating a motorcycle, and you have experience in dealing with compromised traction.

Without knowing your age, size, or maturity level, I would normally tell you to ditch the XSR from that list. Too fast, too easy for it to get away from a new rider. Again, though, you're not like most new riders, so you might be fine on anything you choose. You didn't mention your height, which would normally be a factor with the XSR, since it's so tall, but motocrossers are used to dealing with much taller bikes, so this factor probably won't concern you. The flip side is you're used to light handling and explosive power, and the XSR is the only one of the four to offer those two qualities. As a former racer, you might want some excitement in your street bike, and the XSR offers the most performance thrills of the lot, by a wide margin.

In general, however, I would steer any new rider to the XSR700 or the updated 2018 MT-07 over the XSR900. Nearly the same thrills, in a smaller, lighter, more manageable package. Lower cost to purchase and insure, as well.

I would definitely recommend the XSR700 or 2018 MT-07 over the new SV650. Either Yamaha simply has the Suzuki covered in nearly every important category.

The choice between the Bandit 1250 and CB1100 EX is fairly obvious for most people. Either they want evocative retro style and exemplary Honda build quality in an air-cooled/dual-shocks package, or they want a bit of wind protection and generic, unassuming '90s styling in a far more modern jack-of-all-trades bike that represents pure function with no frills. The Suzuki is taller and a lot top-heavier than the Honda, and significantly faster, as well.

Style vs function, that's what you're choosing between there. There is one functional advantage the Honda possesses, however, and it's right up a new rider's alley: the CB's preternaturally user-friendly throttle response. Regardless of a motorcycle's size or power, you will likely never experience an easier, more confidence-inspiring throttle than the CB1100's.

So, I would recommend the CB if you want a naked Standard liter bike that you won't grow out of, and either the XSR700 or 2018 MT-07 if you want to go the traditional route of choosing a smaller, more manageable machine as your first street bike. Along those same lines, the other option I might steer you toward is the new Kawasaki Ninja 400, assuming you're okay with its race-replica styling and slight forward-lean seating position.
 
Cory_imp said:
Hi:
Hope no one minds - I did ask before, but am actually ready now.
The first bike that I sat on that I said, "Oh yes." about was a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, but there's not a local dealer and am not into risking massive inconvenience (unless maybe it's a 2nd bike).
Having considered everything on 2 wheels, the next bike that I sat on and said, "I think this is it." was the Honda CB1100. Just seemed possibly perfect.
It will be my first road bike, but I'm a moderately accomplished former Amatuer motocross racer. Was even in MXA twice; in full-disclosure it was totally by accident and po'd my friends off who were much better than I.
The search for a pure standard motorcycle from a nearby dealership has fingers pointing to a Suzuki SV650, Yamaha XSR900, Suzuki Bandit 1250 or a Honda CB1100 EX.
My question, if you get a chance, is - Which ****** bike should I get?
Looking at making it happen within 2 months.
Thanks.
My 2014 CB1100 standard is 540 pounds wet. A significant difference over my 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II stone (417 pounds?). However, I rarely notice it, other than moving it around the garage. Although the last bike I had to pick up (3 times, off road) was my 2018 Yamaha XT250.

At my age, taking long trips to remote areas, I like Honda reliability.
The V7II shook almost as much as my Sportsters, so smoothness is also a major plus.
For durability, Yamaha would be closer to Honda, compared to Kawasaki or Suzuki, IMHO.
I would consider another Triumph, but I am boycotting the local Moto Guzzi - Triumph dealer.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Cory Wrote:The search for a pure standard motorcycle from a nearby dealership has fingers pointing to a Suzuki SV650, Yamaha XSR900, Suzuki Bandit 1250 or a Honda CB1100 EX.
Hmmm. I currently own the CB1100 EX and the Yamaha XSR900, and I used to own those two Suzukis. Also, I was a motorcycle dealer for over a decade.

The fact that you're an accomplished former motocrosser does change things a bit, since you're not the typical new rider. You already know how to use a clutch, you know about the basic dynamics of operating a motorcycle, and you have experience in dealing with compromised traction.

Without knowing your age, size, or maturity level, I would normally tell you to ditch the XSR from that list. Too fast, too easy for it to get away from a new rider. Again, though, you're not like most new riders, so you might be fine on anything you choose. You didn't mention your height, which would normally be a factor with the XSR, since it's so tall, but motocrossers are used to dealing with much taller bikes, so this factor probably won't concern you. The flip side is you're used to light handling and explosive power, and the XSR is the only one of the four to offer those two qualities. As a former racer, you might want some excitement in your street bike, and the XSR offers the most performance thrills of the lot, by a wide margin.

In general, however, I would steer any new rider to the XSR700 or the updated 2018 MT-07 over the XSR900. Nearly the same thrills, in a smaller, lighter, more manageable package. Lower cost to purchase and insure, as well.

I would definitely recommend the XSR700 or 2018 MT-07 over the new SV650. Either Yamaha simply has the Suzuki covered in nearly every important category.

The choice between the Bandit 1250 and CB1100 EX is fairly obvious for most people. Either they want evocative retro style and exemplary Honda build quality in an air-cooled/dual-shocks package, or they want a bit of wind protection and generic, unassuming '90s styling in a far more modern jack-of-all-trades bike that represents pure function with no frills. The Suzuki is taller and a lot top-heavier than the Honda, and significantly faster, as well.

Style vs function, that's what you're choosing between there. There is one functional advantage the Honda possesses, however, and it's right up a new rider's alley: the CB's preternaturally user-friendly throttle response. Regardless of a motorcycle's size or power, you will likely never experience an easier, more confidence-inspiring throttle than the CB1100's.

So, I would recommend the CB if you want a naked Standard liter bike that you won't grow out of, and either the XSR700 or 2018 MT-07 if you want to go the traditional route of choosing a smaller, more manageable machine as your first street bike. Along those same lines, the other option I might steer you toward is the new Kawasaki Ninja 400, assuming you're okay with its race-replica styling and slight forward-lean seating position.
Thanks. I think, then, all things considered it might be the CB1100 or XSR700 (with the Yamaha maybe the right call for getting my feet wet).
I'm 6'1" (was 6'2" before motocross), 54 and with questionable maturity, but will do my best.
Not that 2-up will happen right away, but my wife is all in once I get comfortable. Does that eliminate the Yamaha? The Honda seemed like it would completely work for a passenger.
Thanks again.
 
Lots of opinions here. I'd go for lightness / agility over heft, at least for the first year. I haven't ridden the latest incarnation, but I think a new SV would be your best bet. I do agree with VLJ that it'd be helpful to know your height and physical condition.
 
Cory, the XSR700 will do two-up, no problem. Starting from northern California, I took my wife up to and across Canada two-up on an SV650, which has a smaller pillion seat than does the XSR700.

Is an XSR700 the best tool for two-up riding? Of course not. The CB1100 or Bandit 1250 are far superior for that application, but the smaller bikes can do it. The XSR700 has a semi-decently-sized bench seat, rather than a separate pillion pad, so it's among the best choices for two-up riding in that category of small, naked standards/sportbikes.

Being 6'1", you will actually fit better on the XSR700 than on the CB1100, which will fold your legs up quite a bit more. On the other hand, the CB's relaxed, smooth, torquey motor makes it so much nicer than the XSR's smaller, revvier mill for any distance work, whether solo or two-up.
 
The CB hauls a pillion without noticing except, perhaps, when braking on a hill. It needs some sort of a backrest or rack though or the pillion constantly feels he or she may slide off.

Have you had any road riding experience at all? If not, starting smaller than the CB1100 might be prudent. It’s a heavy brute at low speeds.
 
This discussion brings to mind my 1976 CB750F which was only about 20 pounds lighter...so, I do not consider the CB1100 particularly heavy...about the same as both Sportsters and just a tad more than the Bonneville.

Heavier than a sportbike, but not really that heavy.

Continuing the yesteryear comparison, the CB750F (736cc) was rated
67 HP @ 8,000 RPM, 44 ft lbs @ 7,000 RPM
and the CB1100 (1140cc) is
86 HP @ 7,500 RPM, 66 ft lbs @ 5,700

Right now, there is no other street M/C that I would prefer.
 
doc....it seems you know nothing other as heavy streetbikes.....our collleague it seems knows only easy going/handling "bicycles".....byside the weight.....different kind engines ( too in volume) has different kind characters....different seat positions are too different for handling a bike.......the different feeling of suspension like enduro and chopper....

we dont know what prefer his as if he can feel eventual by testdrives all this different things ...
 
alprider_imp said:
doc....it seems you know nothing other as heavy streetbikes.....our collleague it seems knows only easy going/handling "bicycles".....byside the weight.....different kind engines ( too in volume) has different kind characters....different seat positions are too different for handling a bike.......the different feeling of suspension like enduro and chopper....

we dont know what prefer his as if he can feel eventual by testdrives all this different things ...
In my signature block are two bikes, owned in the last ~ year, which weigh 278 pounds and 298 pounds. Once moving, weight makes little difference. On the other hand, I did not enjoy riding my son-in-laws Road King very much (723 pounds dry).

The OP is a mature adult, heavier than I, has extensive riding experience, so I would not advise the same as a 16 year old.

OTOH, my worst crash was at the age of 16 on a CA110 (174 pounds dry?) Had I more experience I may have avoided an 18 wheeler turning left in front of me...or decapitated myself...instead of a spinal injury.

Other bikes, dating back to 1963, include:
CB360
SL350
CL350
CL160
CB160
and three Yamaha enduros (CT175 = 236 pounds wet)
 
smile ok...but just dont forgett it seems HE knows only " bicycles"..

.for me is the 400kg goldwing since many years too my daily normal food.....in this view : a 125cc motocross is just a funny toy for the garden
 
No way to the NEW SV. That seat is for short people and is torture. You need more legroom. How about a VStrom 650?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
nhawk7504_imp said:
No way to the NEW SV. That seat is for short people and is torture. You need more legroom. How about a VStrom 650?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What would you say of the VStrom 650 vs. the Yamaha XSR700? There's also the Yamaha FJ-09.
Riding will be 100% street if that matters and 2-up is important or I'll be a d*ck.
Thanks again.
 
Starting on a CB is not impossible. It has good power but is not unwieldy like a Ninja1000 or a Yamaha FZ-09. It is heavy but well balanced. However I would never recommend it to a beginner. I had 24000 km on my first bike, and still found the CB's weight and power took some getting used to. I had a few moments on my first bike where I was able to recover because it didn't have the weight or the power of the CB. I would say get something lighter with a bit less power for your first. Preferably used and a good bargain, after a season if the CB still pulls your heartstrings go for it. You also never know the type of rider you will become. I was initially drawn to the cruiser styles, but after riding for a while I found myself drawn to bikes with a little more clearance and a standard riding position to hit the twisties gained my interest. A friend of mine started on a cruiser and after became an Adventure rider (BMW F800GS). I had a friend who started on a sport bike, but then switched to a nice relaxed cruiser (Harley Davidson). Start with an all around bike, put tonnes of miles on it, the type of rider you are will come out and then get the bike that suits your style.
 
I say go with the CB. It's a very easy bike to ride despite the weight. I'm 5' 6" and near 70 with bad knees and shoulders, yet this bike's weight has never been a problem for me. With your height and experience in motocross (best training for bike control known) I see no reason to start with a light weight bike that you will soon grow weary of.
 
I am 6'2" tall and weigh 225 pounds. I rode motorcycles of all sizes for 23 years, and then took a 25 year hiatus. When I returned I bought a Honda CB500XA. It is called an adventure bike and is capable of riding on dirt and gravel roads. More so if you change the tires.

It is 125 pounds lighter than my 2017 CB1100 EX. It has a tall suspension, so the riding position is straight up and my knees were not as folded up as on my CB1100. It is quite capable of highway speed, but is more suited for scenic twisty back roads. Best of all it is half the price of a CB1100. Over three summers I rode over 33,000 kilometers/20,500 miles on it and thoroughly enjoyed every ride.

It was also very easy to trade in at my Honda dealer when I bought my 2017 CB1100 EX.
 
Back
Top