Got hit today

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So I'm sitting at a red light early this morning on the CB1100, and before the light turns green, WHAM I get hit from behind from the car behind me which for some reason thought it was OK to proceed. I went flying into the air (and remember my CB rolling into the intersection without me) and ended up face down on the pavement. An ambulance trip to the hospital and now I'm home, beaten up pretty good. My mid-back took the brunt of it, but I hurt all over.

Anyway, checked out the CB at the impound yard, the rear fender is smashed, the bike laid on its left side so the lower engine casing is scraped up, the clutch lever snapped in two and the rear footpeg bracket that holds the exhaust wiggles loose. Worse, the bike will not start now....I fear that it ran on its side and maybe seized up from lack of oil? Anybody know if that's possible?

Thanks...
 
Dang that's a bummer. Hope you weren't badly hurt. Assume the hitter was ticketed and had insurance?

No bike won't lay on side and burn up from lack of oil. It hass a tip over switch that kills the ignition once bike angle exceeds say 60 degrees.

Things to do (1) make sure it is in neutral. (2) make sure the red emergency kill switch has not been tripped (3) cycle the key, turn it off and turn it back on. Then it should start.

Sorry it happened, hope you heal quickly, your bike gets fixed and that you are adequately compensated for lost wages, pain and suffering. Don't settle until you and the bike are 100%.
 
Sorry to hear about that, DaSwami. Glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed.

In addition to the items Mickey mentioned, you also might want to check the clutch switch. Since it hit hard enough to break the clutch lever, the switch may have become damaged or misaligned.
 
DS,

Items and thing can be fixed,replaced....or both..
Human's health cannot...
Get well ASAP...wish you speedy & full recovery:D

pb
 
Thread starter
Thanks Ferret.....driver was assigned 100% fault on the accident (ticketed) and she does have insurance, but I'm still meeting with an attorney because I've never had this happen before and the trauma is quite underrated, already have a bad headache. Tomorrow is gonna be fun (not).

Did all of the above and the bike just clicks and then nothing, like a bad battery or starter, but neither was an issue before damage.

I'm demanding they take the bike to the Honda dealer for a complete inspection, they want to examine it in the impound yard first. Whatever, it was $225 to tow and $25 a day to sit there, I'm not paying it.
Flynrider_imp said:
Sorry to hear about that, DaSwami. Glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed.

In addition to the items Mickey mentioned, you also might want to check the clutch switch. Since it hit hard enough to break the clutch lever, the switch may have become damaged or misaligned.
Aaaaah...that's why I want a dealer to do a complete assessment.
 
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Da Swami. Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse. Hope you and you bike get back on the road soon.
 
Thread starter
Thanks fellas. Just got word the insurance company is going to have it towed to the local Honda dealer tomorrow, so that is a great first step.

Assuming we get it running again, anything else to watch for on the test ride, shaking in the seat or odd handling? I'm worried about a bent rim, frame or swingarm..
 
Sorry to read about your crash DaSwami, but happy that you survived. I have some experience in this, both as an insurance agent and as a person whose bikes have been involved in claim-worthy crashes.

Here's the thing: Unlike cars, there is virtually no reliable source for used or aftermarket parts. It is also, in most cases, much more expensive to repair parts than to replace them. So, what do these two things mean? They mean that it there is s strong likelihood that every part that has a scratch or a dent or is marred or bent will be replaced with a new part. If your Honda dealer is as good as mine, they will go over every inch of the bike looking for anything that needs to be replaced. Your bike will really be 'better than new' in some respects when this is done. UNLESS---the other party's insurance company doesn't know what their doing or is trying to cut their costs. Most companies will treat you fairly, though, and especially since they know you have injuries; they get extra fair when they are worried about a big BI claim. One piece of advice, though, don't threaten legal action against them too soon. Doing so will probably only delay repairs as claims reps are people, too and they get defensive when threatened.

Good luck to you. I hope both you and your CB1100 are as good as new in no time.
 
Sorry to hear of it, and hope you're not too banged up. What can at first feel not too bad, sometimes worsens.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea,

10-4, I'm not that kind of guy to play that card, but keep in my hip pocket

postoak, she was apologetic, but offered no excuse

pdedse, I hear you, feeling worse by the hour, off to bed soon
 
Thread starter
Brothers,

The lesson here is...?

You can do everything right and still lose......be careful out there and best wishes for safe riding.
 
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am glad you are up and mobile though. This could have been much worse. Make sure you give yourself enough time to heal up before you get back out there again.

You are right, you can do everything just like you should and still get hosed. That's just life. I hope you feel better soon.
 
Slow Poke_imp said:
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am glad you are up and mobile though. This could have been much worse. Make sure you give yourself enough time to heal up before you get back out there again.

You are right, you can do everything just like you should and still get hosed. That's just life. I hope you feel better soon.
The best laid plans ......... what can you do? Sorry to hear you took such a hit. Best wishes for a no pain recovery, and that the bike ends up good as new after repairs. Do have it carefully checked ..... you don't want frame damage.

I got rear-ended in 2006 on my Kaw W650, but the circumstances were different. I was stopped at a red light, the pick up behind me was also stopped. I was about to make a 'right on red,' but noticed a fast moving car approaching from my left, so I had to stop. Pickup driver was concentrating on traffic from left, but didn't notice I'd stopped. Bam! But it was low speed, and I stayed on the bike and fortunately, didn't get pushed into oncoming traffic.

Bike stayed up and I stayed on the bike. Damage was minimal, requiring replacement of rear fender, license plate holder and turn signals ..... think that was it.

Driver was insured, but we handled this 'off insurance' ...... he was a good dude, and followed thru as he said he would.

Bob
 
Sorry to hear about your accident , wish you a speedy recovery and no lasting health issues.
Two years ago I bought a Helite air vest and use it on every ride.
I bought the Turtle back high viz one , not cheap but check the videos on line explaining how they work.
 
That’s awful bro. This woman was stopped behind you at a light and accelerated into you or did she fail to stop and ran into you? Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Chip
 
Get well soon DaSwami!

When you feel better you might want to talk to the shop about your concerns. My dealer had a CB1100 in for an incident. Like yours the bike was taken in on a flatbed. They said a lot of times they never even meet the owner and find out what happened until he/she picks up the bike.

You would be able to give them details to help in their examination. Good luck!
 
Wow. Hope you fully recover quickly.
As much as I enjoy mine, a bike is truly an inanimate object. Lawyer probably good route simply for the experienced advice.
Take your time, heal completely, and ride in the spring.
Best wishes.
 
Back
Top