Got a Cardo comm unit...unimpressed

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
It's my fault for trying to solve a problem that I didn't really have, but I recently purchased the Cardo Freecom 4+. I specifically spent more on this thing because the speakers were advertised to be "awesome, with deep bass" in comparison to cheaper Cardo units. Uhm....no. At highway speed, listening to music, all you can hear is the very high end of the high end. Cymbals, claps, and tinny voices. Even just wearing the helmet off of the bike, the sound quality sucks. I'm sure that it's OK for a cell call or communicating over the mesh network. I don't really need to take calls while riding anyway, and I can't imagine that I'll have more than a few occasions a year to speak over the mesh network.

On the plus side, the integration into the helmet is super clean....and the ability to control the thing while gloved and riding is good.

I mainly bought the thing because I like to listen to music while on my commute, and thought that having the option to take calls would be nice on occasion. Also, my BMW R1250 "supposedly" seamlessly integrates with the helmet / phone pair and allows you to control things through the TFT. Well, yeah....sort of. You need to dive down 4 layers into the GUI, all the while removing the speedometer from the display. All to do something that takes a single swipe at the helmet unit (volume, next/previous, answer call, etc.)

I'm going back to my bluetooth ear plugs. For anybody looking for mainly a decent in-helmet audio solution, these things are FANTASTIC. They work great as just earplugs, but the audio quality is just super. The cardo isn't even in the same universe, and the bluetooth ear plugs only cost $60. No problem slipping the helmet on with these things on.

Discord
 
I dont know if you tried it but systems like Sena and Cardo are intended to be used in conjunction with standard earplugs. For example, if I try to ride without ear plugs my Sena does the same thing...you can only hear the higher tones. However the second I put in ear plugs then Sena speakers come through crystal clear unless I'm going way too fast.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I dont know if you tried it but systems like Sena and Cardo are intended to be used in conjunction with standard earplugs. For example, if I try to ride without ear plugs my Sena does the same thing...you can only hear the higher tones. However the second I put in ear plugs then Sena speakers come through crystal clear unless I'm going way too fast.
Actually, no I haven't. I'll see if this helps, but it does make some sense. Thanks! I can actually try it with my bluetooth plugs in but not powered to evaluate and then go and get some passive plugs if that works.
 
tommymck_imp said:
It's my fault for trying to solve a problem that I didn't really have, but I recently purchased the Cardo Freecom 4+. I specifically spent more on this thing because the speakers were advertised to be "awesome, with deep bass" in comparison to cheaper Cardo units. Uhm....no. At highway speed, listening to music, all you can hear is the very high end of the high end. Cymbals, claps, and tinny voices. Even just wearing the helmet off of the bike, the sound quality sucks. I'm sure that it's OK for a cell call or communicating over the mesh network. I don't really need to take calls while riding anyway, and I can't imagine that I'll have more than a few occasions a year to speak over the mesh network.

On the plus side, the integration into the helmet is super clean....and the ability to control the thing while gloved and riding is good.

I mainly bought the thing because I like to listen to music while on my commute, and thought that having the option to take calls would be nice on occasion. Also, my BMW R1250 "supposedly" seamlessly integrates with the helmet / phone pair and allows you to control things through the TFT. Well, yeah....sort of. You need to dive down 4 layers into the GUI, all the while removing the speedometer from the display. All to do something that takes a single swipe at the helmet unit (volume, next/previous, answer call, etc.)

I'm going back to my bluetooth ear plugs. For anybody looking for mainly a decent in-helmet audio solution, these things are FANTASTIC. They work great as just earplugs, but the audio quality is just super. The cardo isn't even in the same universe, and the bluetooth ear plugs only cost $60. No problem slipping the helmet on with these things on.

Discord
Your report sounds just about spot on - yes.

Wearing earplugs will improve the experience, but any music playback will still be superior with wired/wireless earphones.
 
Interesting. My Sena 20S with its standard in-helmet speakers works great. My ATGATT kit includes earplugs. I’ve not tried the Sena without them.
 
Maybe the PackTalk Bold has different sound qualities than the Freecom, but my wife loves the sound of her speakers. I never used the helmet speakers and use Bose QC20 wired earbuds instead.

There are quirks with the Packtalks, as there are with any of these things, but we’re both happy with the sound. I suggest you try the wired earbuds and see if you like that better.
 
Another option expressed by other forum members in regards to the Cardo Freedom+ models is to use the optional JBL drivers.

I don't, and the packaged speakers that come with the Freedom+ model are not great. Riders who purchased the JBL speakers "swear by them" that they sound superior.

Better than in-ear buds, I wouldn't know.
 
Thread starter
Mine came with the JBLs, and without earplugs anyway (didn't think to try that) they really aren't that good. For MTC, yeah, I have bluetooth earbuds that work great (so it's not like I have completely unrealistic expections). Was just hoping to carve a decent music solution out of the cardo unit. Heading out to my morning commute into the bowels of the military industrial complex...will give the ear plugs a try.
 
I would suggest trying with some earplugs in, be it "moto" plugs or just regular foamies as well as installing the Cardo Connect app and changing the tuning to Bass (there are also Voice and some setting for High Treble can't remember what it's called.
 
Thread starter
OK....it's shocking how much better these things work with ear plugs. Still not quite as good as my plugs with the bluetooth speakers inside, but definitely adequate. Also, as a pleasant surprise, the volume is automatically adjusted up and down depending on ambient noise. So, as you pull to a stop, the volume is dropped keeping the perceived level constant. I'll have to check out tj_gee's recommendation. There wasn't much in the way of instruction other than a cheat sheet that came inside the box with the unit, and I haven't explored the cardo website for more detailed instructions.

Finally, I also take back my complaints about how my BMW R1250GS pairs with the unit. Lack of instructions in the BMW riders manual didn't make things easy, but I managed to set it up so that control of the unit with the side wheel is intuitive. All in all, I went from unimpressed to very happy.... Thanks all for the suggestions.
 
I have a Cardo Packtalk with the regular speakers and it works fine, comms from other riders is very clear. I wear disposable foamear plugs all the time which make the speech clearer. The systems biggest enemy is wind noise at Motorway speeds, perfectly usable at 70-80mph on my Tiger with its good wind management but no good on the CB at those speeds, too much general helmet noise. Not really an issue as I avoid motorways on the CB, it's a country bike at heart.
 
tommymck_imp said:
OK....it's shocking how much better these things work with ear plugs. Still not quite as good as my plugs with the bluetooth speakers inside, but definitely adequate. Also, as a pleasant surprise, the volume is automatically adjusted up and down depending on ambient noise. So, as you pull to a stop, the volume is dropped keeping the perceived level constant. I'll have to check out tj_gee's recommendation. There wasn't much in the way of instruction other than a cheat sheet that came inside the box with the unit, and I haven't explored the cardo website for more detailed instructions.

Finally, I also take back my complaints about how my BMW R1250GS pairs with the unit. Lack of instructions in the BMW riders manual didn't make things easy, but I managed to set it up so that control of the unit with the side wheel is intuitive. All in all, I went from unimpressed to very happy.... Thanks all for the suggestions.
Technology is like that sometimes. Things are awful until everything clicks into place. I'm glad youre getting your money's worth.
 
Back
Top