Google Analytics

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
To all users:
I am running software on my computer, which looks into any weblinks called up (in the background) when I open a site. It intercepts any such "home calls", e.g. when I go onto a commercial site. But our forum was always "clean". Guess my surprise, when I noticed this morning ... for the first time ever ... that cb1100forum.com calls up Google analytics. Has anybody (moderators, admin, other ???) approved or at least acknowledged this change ?
Do we care ? yes we do, or at least ... we should. Why should Google be allowed to make money with our forum, when this money does not go to our community, the operating cost ( web service ), or anything else to our benefit ?
 
To be honest I don't know anything about anything you just said.

But I'd like the layman's version to learn?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I have not seen anything from Google on my screen
 
iOS shows me that it blocked 5 trackers on CB1100forum.com on my iPad. One is Google Analytics
 
One of the benefits of an independent blog site, in addition to [mostly] relevant and organized information regarding the CB1100, and no distracting pop-ups.

Way more fun than Facebook.

Thank you Guth.
 
Gecko, like Ferret, I know nothing. If there has been a change requiring approval, only the forum owner, Guth, could have given it.

Ever since I’ve been a member of the forum, from time to time I’ve seen Google in the logged on list, and assumed it’s trawling the site for data for its search engine.

Am I wrong?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Gecko, like Ferret, I know nothing. If there has been a change requiring approval, only the forum owner, Guth, could have given it.

Ever since I’ve been a member of the forum, from time to time I’ve seen Google in the logged on list, and assumed it’s trawling the site for data for its search engine.

Am I wrong?
I think that’s right Cormanus , if you google about info about a CB 1100 this forum will be in the look up location .
 
FWIW my software shows "1 tracker prevented from profiling you, Trackers on this Webpage Google-Analytics".
 
I got out of the advertising business when stuff like Google Analytics became part of the job.

Search Engine Optimization.
Cool, I like engines!
It's not that kind of engine.
Oh.
 
Because I know only a little about all this, I’m not sure what Gecko is telling us. From my point of view, it’s a good thing if Google trawls this site as a way of informing it’s search engine. If it’s then hooking onto members to target advertising to them, I’m much less happy. I’d have hoped Guth would have to give permission for that, but I acknowledge it’s a faint hope.
 
I know when I Google something about a CB 1100, forum threads do come up in the google search
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Because I know only a little about all this, I’m not sure what Gecko is telling us. From my point of view, it’s a good thing if Google trawls this site as a way of informing it’s search engine. If it’s then hooking onto members to target advertising to them, I’m much less happy. I’d have hoped Guth would have to give permission for that, but I acknowledge it’s a faint hope.
It is more than this Cormanus, Google can browse our site (trawl it, spider it, whatever you like to call it) as much as they want, that would not inject a script like Analytics into our website. What my software shows me is that Google must have convinced somebody to add Google analytics to the forum code (which is supplied by MyBB as you can see on the bottom. Is it a problem ? Depends on how yo want to see it. I find it odd when it seems to appear out of nowhere.
 
Thanks Gecko. Only Guth could have given permission.
 
Back
Top