Good grips for CB1100? Which ones are you all installing?

At the Guzzi breakfast I noticed a fellow had on foam sleeves over his grips. They did not feel too big; I may have to give them a whirl.
 
Installed Oury Road Grips in black. Used Oury grips on all previous bikes I owned including MX bikes. They have served me well. Thanks rdtshaw for your excellent post. Motivated me to go ahead and make the change.
 
rdtshaw_imp said:
Sorry if this had been asked, but search for grips turned up a huge results with nothing specific. I have never replaced the grips on a motorcycle and don't know if there are specific ones I need for the CB1100 besides the 7/8" bar diameter spec? What are you guys rocking there? The stockers stop being comfortable after about 45mins. :) Thanks for any insight or direction to some threads I missed.

Rob
This is the first time that I've actually left the stock grips on a street bike.The entire CB-11 seems as comfy as I need it to be and I won't change anything unless it really needs it.I really need to ride out to RR 337 in Medina,TX and see if I'm still comfy.
 
Are the bar ends supposed to be able to turn even after tightening? I didn't check before removing them and now that I have new grips installed I'm noticing for the first time that the ends continue to spin.

I have Vibranator bar ends on my VFR which don't spin at all. I can't remember if the stock set up did. Thanks!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Thank you! So, I can stop turning the screw driver now? My forearm is getting tired.

By the way, i went with the Pro Grip 699 open end grips. They seem to go well with the bike and surely will be an improvement over stock.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Thank you! So, I can stop turning the screw driver now? My forearm is getting tired.

By the way, i went with the Pro Grip 699 open end grips. They seem to go well with the bike and surely will be an improvement over stock.
In fact, I think you want to back off the screw slightly, such that the end of the weights are loose, and can move a bit.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Thank you! So, I can stop turning the screw driver now? My forearm is getting tired.

By the way, i went with the Pro Grip 699 open end grips. They seem to go well with the bike and surely will be an improvement over stock.
In fact, I think you want to back off the screw slightly, such that the end of the weights are loose, and can move a bit.
In fact, I think you want to back off the screw slightly, such that the end of the weights are loose, and can move a bit.
Thanks DG. My bar ends do move slightly with a firm pull, which concerned me but I'm glad to read that it's expected.
 
Has anyone found retro-style "waffle" grips on their bike? If so, do they provide any more cushioning than stock? I have stock grips with foam sleeves over them, but I'm changing my bars and am thinking that retro-style grips would look good.

Something like this.
35d2515a518ccb96145d5c793d55af38.jpg
 
Thanks, Ferret. I just thought they looked cool, but if they don't perform well, then screw it. I'll just replace them with stock and foam slip ons, which Is what I have now and they work fine.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Those were junk 40 years ago ES. Go to a antique bike show and sit on someones bike that has them. Almost anything is better than those IMO.

From the 60s to the mid 70s we usually replaced them with grips like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-Style-Bl...ntage-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Grip-/181589640375

But now I think the pro Grip Gel grips are the standard
I have those on my Bonneville and love 'em. I rode the two bikes back-to-back this past weekend, and am thinking about trying them on the CB now. I know it's comparing apples to oranges (in regard to the vibes, etc. of the two bikes), but I was surprised that they were even more comfortable than the Grip Puppies I have on the CB.
 
Hello all I havn't taken delivery of my cb yet , but I will most likely modify a set of universal kuruyakin black iso grips. A little expensive but I have done this to my last 3 bikes an liked the results (sorry for the huge pic)

I usually remove the end cap and bore out the end of the grip, this allows re installation of stock bar ends...
 
drodg_imp said:
Has anyone installed the Honda heated grips? I had those on most of my BMW's and really like them.

I've installed the Honda OEM grips. I also use grip puppies over them. For me, this configuration provides a significant boost in comfort over stock...both in cooler temps and longer tours..there is an existing string or two about OEM grip installation...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If you are looking for the real Grip Puppies in America, not some cheap imitations, call California Sport Touring.
510-741-3700 The person I spoke to was Kim.

My throttle hand would cramp up within an hour with the hard and small diameter Honda grips. Slipped on some Grip Puppies with a bit of dish soap and warm water, problem solved.
 
Has anyone installed the Kuryakin ISO grips on their CB1100 yet? I really like the look and feel of these and hope to be able to do the job. Thanks!
 
Back
Top