Good grips for CB1100? Which ones are you all installing?

HikerToo_imp said:
I tried grip puppies for a few days and just took them off.
The grips felt too big with them on, although softer so my hands did not hurt at the lower thumb junction like they do on the stock hard grips.
I have medium, size hands and glove size.
Guess I'll look at other suggestions in this post for softer grips but same diameter.
I'm with you. I picked up a pair off the shelf of a local accessories dealer and didn't like them right away. They definitely make the grips fatter than I'd like and also seemed to give my throttle response a "spongy" quality that I didn't care for at all. Speaking of sponges, I'm betting that the grip puppies would be a squishy wet mess in the rain. Next!
 
...I guess it's a matter of hand size then. I'm 6' (but only about 175lbs.), but I wear an XL glove. I've run these on my FZ1 and the CB, and it was an amazing improvement for me.
Hopefully you guys can find something else that works for you, too!
 
This reminds me of my old fooseball days when the bars went from the green top tables with "normal" handles to the brown tops which had fat handles. It was a cuss getting use to the big handles but afterwards the green tops felt like toys. The CB1100 grips feel a lot like the green tops but so far they seem to be OK.
 
Thread starter
Hey fellow CB1100 goobs... :) I meant to post this earlier, but here are some pics of the OURY grips and the install. I am very happy with them. They are about 3mm thicker diameter than the stock, just enough to add the cushion I wanted without being odd to hold on to. They are a bit too sticky texture wise at first, but after a couple rides, they are better. They were $13 bucks shipped from amazon. To top it off, the bike on the package just says, "Put me on your CB!" :) They come with the ends closed, but a quick outpatient surgery will square that away so the bar ends can be reinstalled.



----------------------------------
I used Isopropyl alcohol and the syringe to get under the old grips and slide them off, took a little work. I didn't want to cut them off. I put some of the alcohol in the new grip and slid it right on. after a couple hours it was on solid. Did the same with both sides.



---------------------------------
Here is the new Oury grip next to the stock.



---------------------------------
After sliding the grip on, just need to x-acto a hole in the end.





---------------------------------
All done! Slide the bar end back on and screw it in. Repeat on the other side. :)

 
rdtshaw, nice pictorial
Are they softer than stock?
My throttle side seems to bother my lower thumb area.
Although I just did add a pair of the 719's mentioned previously to an Amazon order.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
rdtshaw, nice pictorial
Are they softer than stock?
My throttle side seems to bother my lower thumb area.
Although I just did add a pair of the 719's mentioned previously to an Amazon order.


Thanks Hiker!

They are definitely softer, the stock offers zero padding. With the stock ones I felt like I was holding onto a plasti-coted metal bar. They aren't so soft I feel disconnected from the bars though. The foam ones seem like they would be a bit too isolating. I was having pain in the palms of my hands. I have gone on 6 or 7 30ish mile rides and I have not once thought about the grips.

I just got the OURY's for my mountain bike too. (2 sets actually. For my son's bicycle as well, he's 10 and in love with the shiny new CB1100. He is thrilled that he has the same grips. "Dad, that bike is so cool. I'm really glad you put the pipe on it, it sounds so good. I like this one much better than your old bike." Lol. :) . I'm gonna ride the adoration while I can before he gets to the "Dad's not Cool" phase...
 
Think I'll try some of these... ;)
88a9de8f0c2721b835449a197e0391b2.JPG
 
Tink,

Those would look good with some streamers! :)
 
Yup. Streamers and a nice long white seat. We want pictures when you're done..... :angel:
 
:rofl: ohhhh noooo, here we go again
 
A couple weeks ago I purchased the Grip Puppies because I had seen them from this post. I wanted to give it a couple hundred miles on them before I gave a review. I have carpal tunnel pretty bad in my right hand. I had the left one fixed up and I am awaiting some more sick/vacation time from work to get the right one operated on. I was able to ride 10-15 miles and my hand would go numb. I would have to build up speed and pull the clutch in and coast just to let my right hand hang to my side to get the blood circulating again. I installed the grip puppies and have been very pleased with the results. I can now go at least 30-40 miles without pain and numbness. I realize it is not a fix but it sure helps until the proper fix can come along. Happy riding everyone.
 
Swartzracer,

Where did you find them? I can only find them on a UK site and don't want to pay the shipping.
 
My local Honda dealer has the Pro Grip, Grip Puppies, and Oury's around the same price point. Can't decide which one to go for, comfort, easy install, or best look. I am sure any one of them will be an upgrade.
 
Back
Top