Good deal on 14 Cb1100??

Plus throw a PA insp. sticker on it. I read the statutes and actual age doesn't fail the tire, (might be coming) but any cracking does.

Well, tomorrow will tell all.
I really wanted to have it before winter, so I can do some mods in my basement. Firm up the forks per my friend Jon, for one, plus all maint. surely not done. If this one is a no, there are none that look good for a good price, and there haven't been ANY new listings for well over a month.

Hope it works out well for you!
 
The test ride doesn't scare me so much, as long as the bike isn't being "track-day" tested, it's that long ride home that's got me nervous, so glad that's off the table.

This is probably more than anyone wants to read (I didn't read all of it), but it does have some interesting info:


If you believe the source, some interesting points:

It's good to look for visible cracks, but apparently it's microscopic cracks at the molecular level below the surface that cause the tread to separate from the cord.

Also interesting: ozone from things like arc welders and old electric motors (like you might find in a shop) accelerate the oxidation, along with exposure to vapors from chemicals (often used in shops), and then there's UV if it's near a window.

Apparently cold weather and the right humidity can be a tire's friend as it slows the molecular and evaporative processes: cold-weather days see less tire failures than hot days. The Southwestern US is particularly bad for tire failures.

Estimated 3000 tire-failure-related accidents a year....

Hope the rest of the bike is in great shape--if so, you've found a really good deal, even if the tires are beyond sketchy. 😎
 
Great work! Enjoy the ride!
I did the same thing when I bought my CB1100 almost 3 years ago, it was an almost 300-mile ride home from the dealership that I bought it from.
By the time I got home I felt very comfortable on that bike
 
PB, we gotta cut him some slack right now. He just got it! :)
 
PB, we gotta cut him some slack right now. He just got it! :)

My short lived T-shirt business that I thought was going to allow me to retire young

K8zz3fa.jpg


3cUSJvH.jpg


7uMPXCe.jpg


Oh...and just in case:
hRHeVMf.jpg
 
Fantastic news, Pete! It will change your life. David
 
Back
Top