Good deal on 14 Cb1100??

Pete in PA

Running like a top
Thread starter
Going to check out a 14 CB1100 standard. 3500 miles, all original, rack with Hepco and Becker box on back. $5000.
At a small rural dealer, they mostly do service there, been for sale 11 months.
I think it's the original tires, will check.
He's fine throwing an updated inspection sticker on if I buy.
If they're original, are they safe? Ill be riding it 230 miles home.
I think as long as it's not wet roads I'll be ok.
Thoughts???
 
Last edited:
Are you going to "maybe" buy it, or will it be a done deal? If the the latter, could you have them put on new tires before you arrive? Do they carry CB1100 sizes? (probably not). On the other hand, I think the original tires on my '14 Standard lasted over 10k miles. On the other, other hand, they are 12-13 years old. I think you'll find differing opinions here.

Will you be replacing the tires right away regardless? Then I think I'd have tires shipped to the dealer or to you, arrange for them to have them installed once you agree on the purchase and ride home.

If you are riding it home, how are you getting there? Could you rent a uhaul for the day? It may not be that expensive and then you can do the tires at your leisure.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Thread starter
Are you going to "maybe" buy it, or will it be a done deal? If the the latter, could you have them put on new tires before you arrive? Do they carry CB1100 sizes? (probably not). On the other hand, I think the original tires on my '14 Standard lasted over 10k miles. On the other, other hand, they are 12-13 years old. I think you'll find differing opinions here.

Will you be replacing the tires right away regardless? Then I think I'd have tires shipped to the dealer or to you, arrange for them to have them installed once you agree on the purchase and ride home.

If you are riding it home, how are you getting there? Could you rent a uhaul for the day? It may not be that expensive and then you can do the tires at your leisure.

Good luck!
Haven't seen it in the flesh, anything goes. No time to have tires put on. Remember Haven't verified anything.
After 230 miles I'll know the tires, they might stay on. 🤷
 
Those tires are unsafe. Even if it isn't raining, once the tires get warm and under stresses in the road you could suffer a catastrophic blow out or tread separation.

I got new BT54s delivered fast from Amazon, and maybe there are other retailers where you could get suitable tires quick to bring with or ship to the shop.

Part of your buying agreement is that they drop their other jobs the moment you decide to buy and mount and balance your tires. They could do it while the paperwork is being completed.

Or, rent a u-haul or trailer and drive it there or rent one near the shop and drive the bike home.

The risk in this case isn't worth it.

If it's in great condition, the price is very good from my recent shopping experience. In Oregon last spring, 2014 STDs we're going for $6499-7999, and I just checked Cycletrader and other than one with 44K miles, those prices are holding.
 
Last edited:
Haven't seen it in the flesh, anything goes. No time to have tires put on. Remember Haven't verified anything.
After 230 miles I'll know the tires, they might stay on. 🤷

So you're not 100% they are original tires? You could ask them to ID what tires are on the bike; shouldn't be hard to compare what's on with what's original. Internet says stock were:

AI Overview

The stock (OEM) tires for the 2014 Honda CB1100 standard were Bridgestone Battlax BT54 radials. [1, 2]
Stock Tire Specifications

  • Front Tire Size: 110/80R18 (Load/Speed rating: 58V)Rear Tire Size: 140/70R18 (Load/Speed rating: 67V or 70V depending on exact regional spec)
 
Asking the shop is a great idea. They should know how to read the code on the tires:

Tire-date-code.jpg.webp
 
Thread starter
He didnt seem to want to check the tires for their dates. Per the picks, they are the original tires, but could be newer replacements.
He says he rides the bike to the bank etc.
 
Would he send you a pic of the tyre dates?
 
The guy doesn't sound very motivated to sell, if he can't be bothered to look at the tires.

Rust never sleeps, nor does does oxidation or evaporation of plasticizers and oils from a tire.

Piddling around town and a 200 mile trip at speed are far from the same thing.The tires are going to get hot, put under sustained load, twisted on every corner and battered by every rough road surface--seems like a torture test to demonstrate why not to ride on expired tires. o_O
 
Just FYI in case your leaning this way:

You are in a different area, but Amazon could get the factory OEM tires delivered to me here in Oregon by this Friday:


 
Last edited:
Thread starter
If I look at it Thursday and they are original, he better take off another $300 at least.
Then I'll buy it, but come back another day and trailer it home.
Is it even safe to test ride the bike?
 
Last edited:
He'll let you take it for a solid test ride, I hope?
 
👍

Good plan! Don't orphan that beautiful Nighthawk at your estate sale, abandoned and locked up in a garage with some teenager with a torch, a cutting wheel, and lots of bad ideas.:p
 
Depends on the test ride goals?

You should be able to ride it enough to tell if it's mechanically sound without getting the tires hot and putting undue strain on them, but if you are still trying to decide if a CB1100 in general is worth buying to replace your Nighthawk you may or may not be able to tell if you are having to baby the tires on the test ride.

You did recently ride your friend's CB1100 with the modded front end, or am I misremembering? If you have access to his bike, push his to decide if a CB1100 is generally the bike for you, and just ride the one for sale the bare minimum to make sure it's mechanically sound?
 
Yes he will, but is it even safe for that on original tires?

Tough to say that it's "safe". Member LucienLeFranc has already voiced a strong, reasoned argument against, and I'm not going to disagree. What's the likelihood that you have a blowout on 12-13 year old tires? My opinion on the matter means nothing, but I'd say "not very likely".

Would I take a test ride around town on the bike for say 30 minutes? If I'm being honest...sure, I would. I probably wouldn't have thunk much of it...before reading this thread! I've purchased a few aged bikes, one had 20 year ol' tires. I rode the bike some 600-700 miles before I even realized that. Stupid me, really. Point is, you can find lots of anecdotal "evidence" that it won't happen. It means nothing.

My brother has been a mechanic for more than 45 years--he claims mc tires are made WAY better now than what he would see back in the early part of his career, and thinks a catastrophic blowout nowadays is rare. But if I asked him what he would do in this situation, I'd bet good money he would say to the bike shop sales person someting like this:

"I'm really interested in this bike, but I won't buy it unless I'm allowed a 30 minute (or more) test ride. And I won't test ride it w/out new tires on it. I'm not gonna risk my life and hope the tires hold, becaues I'm going to test ride it--and not just ride it up and down a local street. Put new tires on the bike, and if I like it I'll buy it for $5000 (or whatever agreed upon price) plus $100 towards the new tires".

I can just hear him saying that.

And if they can't agree to that...well, other CB1100s will come along for sale in time.


​

 
Let me try something out. If it is fact that 12 year-old tyres are unsafe, then a motorcycle dealer who offered for sale a motorcycle fitted with 12-year old years is surely in breach of some sort of duty of care, particularly if they allow the customer to ride the bike away without drawing it to their attention.
 
Thread starter
Tough to say that it's "safe". Member LucienLeFranc has already voiced a strong, reasoned argument against, and I'm not going to disagree. What's the likelihood that you have a blowout on 12-13 year old tires? My opinion on the matter means nothing, but I'd say "not very likely".

Would I take a test ride around town on the bike for say 30 minutes? If I'm being honest...sure, I would. I probably wouldn't have thunk much of it...before reading this thread! I've purchased a few aged bikes, one had 20 year ol' tires. I rode the bike some 600-700 miles before I even realized that. Stupid me, really. Point is, you can find lots of anecdotal "evidence" that it won't happen. It means nothing.

My brother has been a mechanic for more than 45 years--he claims mc tires are made WAY better now than what he would see back in the early part of his career, and thinks a catastrophic blowout nowadays is rare. But if I asked him what he would do in this situation, I'd bet good money he would say to the bike shop sales person someting like this:

"I'm really interested in this bike, but I won't buy it unless I'm allowed a 30 minute (or more) test ride. And I won't test ride it w/out new tires on it. I'm not gonna risk my life and hope the tires hold, becaues I'm going to test ride it--and not just ride it up and down a local street. Put new tires on the bike, and if I like it I'll buy it for $5000 (or whatever agreed upon price) plus $100 towards the new tires".

I can just hear him saying that.

And if they can't agree to that...well, other CB1100s will come along for sale in time.


​

I will say my 92 Nighthawk Had 10+ year old Dunlops on it when I got it, and I ran them till worn out. I'm bringing a bright flashlight, and if they are original, will check for even the finest cracks.
 
Thread starter
Let me try something out. If it is fact that 12 year-old tyres are unsafe, then a motorcycle dealer who offered for sale a motorcycle fitted with 12-year old years is surely in breach of some sort of duty of care, particularly if they allow the customer to ride the bike away without drawing it to their attention.
Plus throw a PA insp. sticker on it. I read the statutes and actual age doesn't fail the tire, (might be coming) but any cracking does.

Well, tomorrow will tell all.
I really wanted to have it before winter, so I can do some mods in my basement. Firm up the forks per my friend Jon, for one, plus all maint. surely not done. If this one is a no, there are none that look good for a good price, and there haven't been ANY new listings for well over a month.
 
Last edited:
When I bought my 2014 last year, the tires were over a decade old. I test rode it and bought it. I also rode it once or twice at home just because I couldn't help myself, while waiting for the new tires to be delivered.

Just because it went fine for me doesn't make it a right decision. It's just where my personal comfort level is with that particular risk.

If I was in your situation, I would test ride the bike if it looks good. If I wanted to buy it, I would negotiate for new tires in exchange for paying the asking price, which is not a bad price if the bike is in good shape. Since the bike has been for sale almost a year, some negotiation seems warranted.

Again, I'm not saying this is a right decision, and I'm not even making a recommendation, I'm just speculating about what I would likely do if I was in your shoes.

I really hope you get the bike!
 
Back
Top