Gonna pass on the CB1100

Cactus Kurt_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
After riding the CB1100, I'm gonna pass on the purchase. At 6' 2", I'm just too tall to feel comfortable. Compared to my KLR 650, the CB feels like a mini bike. The ergonomics on my KLR are perfect for my body dimensions and inseam (KLR's 35" seat height compared to the CB's 31.5"). I realize they are completely different styles, but the KLR is more comfortable (to me), even as a street bike. I planned on using the CB as my daily commuter (replacing my KLR), and comfort is top priority.

I know other taller riders have no issues with the ergonomics of the CB1100, but after riding KLRs for many years the CB just feels... small. I can stand over the CB with at least 3" of crotch clearance. Unfortunately for me, this results in a cramped riding position.

As I recall, the 1983 CB1100F I owned in my 20s felt much bigger than the current CB1100s, but I probably wasn't yet 6' 2" tall in 1983 :)
 
Yea they are small for an 1100.
 
Almost anything feels small to me after riding an adventure style bike. Most recently, I rode a rented R1200GS for several days. Then, got on my theoretically same-sized R1200R, and it felt like I was riding a tricycle. After a few miles, it felt comfortable again, but it's interesting what our immediate ergonomic response is to something other than what we're familiar with. The CB1100 does seem small for its size.
 
Coming from an 900F I can confirm the older bikes are certainly taller, the foot control position on the CB1100 is also not very tall people friendly, I'm not too tall so it works perfect for me but I can definitely see how taller riders might experience discomfort.

I test rode a '14 Sportster FortyEight 1200cc 5 years ago, and I think they're somewhat comparable in a weird way, both clunky on the gearing, and both offer a decent torque range throughout but ofcourse they offer different ergonomics from the factory. In the end you put your butt on whatever bike gives you a comfier ride.
Goodluck hunting :thumbsup:
 
Cactus Kurt_imp said:
After riding the CB1100, I'm gonna pass on the purchase. At 6' 2", I'm just too tall to feel comfortable. Compared to my KLR 650, the CB feels like a mini bike. The ergonomics on my KLR are perfect for my body dimensions and inseam (KLR's 35" seat height compared to the CB's 31.5"). I realize they are completely different styles, but the KLR is more comfortable (to me), even as a street bike. I planned on using the CB as my daily commuter (replacing my KLR), and comfort is top priority.

I know other taller riders have no issues with the ergonomics of the CB1100, but after riding KLRs for many years the CB just feels... small. I can stand over the CB with at least 3" of crotch clearance. Unfortunately for me, this results in a cramped riding position.

As I recall, the 1983 CB1100F I owned in my 20s felt much bigger than the current CB1100s, but I probably wasn't yet 6' 2" tall in 1983 :)
I can identify with your observations as I too own a KLR650. I'm nearly 6'4" with 34" inseam and love the KLR ergos--fits like a glove. Between 2008 and 2010 I had the opportunity to do a couple Oregon-Mexico-Guatemala trips and my '07 KLR650 was a great bike for that because there were all sorts of fun non-paved roads to explore. And it was sufficient to handle long 700 mile hiway days too. After that, it became my "explore-my-own-backyard" mountains and forests of OR and WA, while always being my commuter bike too.

But I love "classical" looking bikes and enjoy a different mc vibe. But all the ones I looked at--Moto Guzzi V7, Triumph Bonnevilles and T120s, or throwbacks from the '80s (Yamaha XS650s)--all of them were "too small" for me. The other route I could have gone was to buy another adventure bike, but why if I was happy with the KLR650. So I just decided that the bike would fit me and I'd do what I could to make it better. I bought a simple foam "bleacher pad" and strapped it to the seat. That helped. On my '14 Standard I installed handle bar risers and that combined with the seat pads helped quite a bit. But I'm still tall on it and that won't change. Oh well. I did an OR to Illinois trip with that setup on the '14 CB1100 and I put footpegs on the engine guards I installed and that gave me some stretch-out room which helped as well.

With my current '17 CB1100ex, I still use seat pad, but haven't yet installed the handle bar risers because I don't feel the need to because I've gotten used to the smaller feel. But every time I ride the KLR650 several days in a row w/out using the CB, then the next time I get on the 1100, sure enough, it feels small again. But then I forget about it and ride the country roads and all is good!

Anyway, I'm planning another OR to...? trip for summer of 2020, prolly back to Illinois to visit my mom and possible all the way to NY to visit my daughter if her summer plans pan out for an internship. In that case, I'll put the risers on, and look for another set of hiway pegs for the engine guards, maybe buy another bleacher pad to raise the seat even slightly higher.

Lots of words to say I've made the CB1100 work for me, but there aren't too many classical looking bikes that will fit a tall person like a 35" seat height KLR650 will. One that does come to mind is the Triumph Scrambler, which I believe has a 34" seat. I've sat on those a few times and they are a noticeably better fit for me than the CB1100. Maybe that will be my next bike--but not for some time as I'm happy with what I've got.

If you need to replace the KLR, maybe a similar adventure bike would work for you. The Honda Africa Twin, Suzuki DR650, there's the Husky 701, KTM has several, Yamaha has a new 700 adv bike...lots of good chocies. Anyway, good luck with your search!
 
Thread starter
Yes, I'm extremely happy with my KLR. I can see why there is such a cult following. I've ridden the Africa Twin and, while it's a great bike that fits my dimensions, it's way too heavy (500+ lbs) and powerful for an adventure bike, imho.

As a bonus, the KLR with it's prehistoric construction, is super easy to maintain and repair. One cylinder, carburetor... analog everything.

The KLR is a great commuter bike. 6 gallon tank/55 mpg = 300 miles between refuels. Tall riding position let's you see traffic. Small fairing blocks the majority of wind. Although it's kind of a pig as a dirt bike, it's tractor-like torque will handle most off-road situations.

I had my heart set on a CB1100, but the search for a retro road bike will continue... it's part of the fun! The Kawasaki Z900RS will be my next test ride, but alas, it looks kinda smallish too :-/
 
Cactus Kurt_imp said:
Yes, I'm extremely happy with my KLR. I can see why there is such a cult following. I've ridden the Africa Twin and, while it's a great bike that fits my dimensions, it's way too heavy (500+ lbs) and powerful for an adventure bike, imho.

As a bonus, the KLR with it's prehistoric construction, is super easy to maintain and repair. One cylinder, carburetor... analog everything.

The KLR is a great commuter bike. 6 gallon tank/55 mpg = 300 miles between refuels. Tall riding position let's you see traffic. Small fairing blocks the majority of wind. Although it's kind of a pig as a dirt bike, it's tractor-like torque will handle most off-road situations.

I had my heart set on a CB1100, but the search for a retro road bike will continue... it's part of the fun! The Kawasaki Z900RS will be my next test ride, but alas, it looks kinda smallish too :-/
I was curious if I remembered right about the Scrambler 1200...the 2020 version has a seat height of 33.1" / 840mm, so a little less than I thought. While it is a good looker, the msrp is 14k!! They have a "Street Scrambler" at 11k, but it's seat height is only 31".

The seat height was the problem I ran into consistently when looking at "retro road" bikes. You can get taller seats and/or add pads, but then you might have to mess with handle bar height as well so that you don't feel hunched forward.
 
CK: I totally get what you are saying and have a similar set of problems. I totally enjoy the soul and aesthetics of the CB1100. Solid. However, - for me - it has been amongst the worse long distance comfort bikes I have ridden, but not as bad as comparable Triumph Bonnevilles.

Similarly, I have found adventure bikes quite comfortable. Example: Kawasaki Versys 650, NC750X (arguably not an ADV), Africa Twin. The Africa Twin standard is actually lighter than the CB1100 and on-paper performance equal, even with a 142 cc and two cylinder "deficit". 2020 Africa Twin is a bigger beast. However, general aesthetics of ADVs are ugly, with the Africa Twin being arguably the least ugly, ..., if ugly is not bothersome.

If you thought the CB1100 small, then you may find the Z900RS a tic tac. I would still test ride it though because never turn down testing riding any motorcycle unless it is missing a wheel or sumthin'.
 
I'm 6'6" and have only owned one bike in my 45+ years of riding that fit me comfortably, and that was only after lowering the pegs and buying the factory "high" seat. Everything else is better suited for shorter folks, though my CB really isn't that bad comparatively. I'm purposely excluding ADV-styled bikes because I would never care to own one. That's life!

32f1957da80f0ebaf29aaea44b276208.jpg
 
Ay yes, LongRanger! I knew we had someone at 6'6". Are you saying you lowered pegs to the CB or was that to another bike?
 
No, it was on the RT, since my intention was to use it as my multi-day, extended ride motorcycle, and it offers some adjustability in the foot controls. Unfortunately, those plans haven't completely panned out yet. Maybe this coming year. I've left my DLX stock. I was unable to determine how to lower the brake pedal and didn't want to mess with it.

I tried some lowered pegs on the F800GT and it was a mess. The brake lever can't be lowered, so between your legs getting splayed out by the lower (and wider) pegs, and the loss of the rear brake, it wasn't worth it. I'm uncomfortable actuating the rear brake unless my boot is on the peg!
 
Cactus Kurt_imp said:
Yes, I'm extremely happy with my KLR. I can see why there is such a cult following. I've ridden the Africa Twin and, while it's a great bike that fits my dimensions, it's way too heavy (500+ lbs) and powerful for an adventure bike, imho.

As a bonus, the KLR with it's prehistoric construction, is super easy to maintain and repair. One cylinder, carburetor... analog everything.

The KLR is a great commuter bike. 6 gallon tank/55 mpg = 300 miles between refuels. Tall riding position let's you see traffic. Small fairing blocks the majority of wind. Although it's kind of a pig as a dirt bike, it's tractor-like torque will handle most off-road situations.

I had my heart set on a CB1100, but the search for a retro road bike will continue... it's part of the fun! The Kawasaki Z900RS will be my next test ride, but alas, it looks kinda smallish too :-/
It's significantly lighter than the CB, with a slightly shorter wheelbase, but it's much taller. The seat height with the standard seat (in America) is a bit too tall for shorter folk. The Kawi will assuredly fit you much better. It's faster, too, but less refined, and definitely a whole lot less "authentic retro." In reality it's retro in looks only, and many of those "retro" styling details are severely compromised.

Still, yes, it will be a much better fit for you. It's not ADV tall and roomy, but it will provide an immediately noticeable improvement in leg room, compared to the CB1100. The Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE is even taller. The new Triumph will give you all the seat height/leg room/high bars you will ever need.

Bring money, though. Lots of it.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Cactus Kurt_imp said:
Yes, I'm extremely happy with my KLR. I can see why there is such a cult following. I've ridden the Africa Twin and, while it's a great bike that fits my dimensions, it's way too heavy (500+ lbs) and powerful for an adventure bike, imho.

As a bonus, the KLR with it's prehistoric construction, is super easy to maintain and repair. One cylinder, carburetor... analog everything.

The KLR is a great commuter bike. 6 gallon tank/55 mpg = 300 miles between refuels. Tall riding position let's you see traffic. Small fairing blocks the majority of wind. Although it's kind of a pig as a dirt bike, it's tractor-like torque will handle most off-road situations.

I had my heart set on a CB1100, but the search for a retro road bike will continue... it's part of the fun! The Kawasaki Z900RS will be my next test ride, but alas, it looks kinda smallish too :-/
It's significantly lighter than the CB, with a slightly shorter wheelbase, but it's much taller. The seat height with the standard seat (in America) is a bit too tall for shorter folk. The Kawi will assuredly fit you much better. It's faster, too, but less refined, and definitely a whole lot less "authentic retro." In reality it's retro in looks only, and many of those "retro" styling details are severely compromised.

Still, yes, it will be a much better fit for you. It's not ADV tall and roomy, but it will provide an immediately noticeable improvement in leg room, compared to the CB1100. The Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE is even taller. The new Triumph will give you all the seat height/leg room/high bars you will ever need.

Bring money, though. Lots of it.
It's significantly lighter than the CB, with a slightly shorter wheelbase, but it's much taller. The seat height with the standard seat (in America) is a bit too tall for shorter folk. The Kawi will assuredly fit you much better. ...
Good call on the Z900RS; its seat height is nearly 33" (32.9) so that is getting better for those needing room. That's about 1.75" higher than the CB1100 so unless the Z900RS footpegs are higher proportionately, that should open things up for the knees / hips.
 
Fact is that you won’t ever know how a bike fits you until you ride it. Good luck with the Kawi. Hope it works for you.
 
I sat on a Z900RS and found it much more comfortable than the CB1100. I’m 6’ and have a 34” inseam but it came down to cost and the ‘14 CB leftover was about half as much. I’ve put the K&H Hi seat on it and it’s nearly the same.
 
I have read through this one and was kind of giggling about it. I am 6' 2" and unfortunately like the Tiddler Bikes. I bought the 2014 CB1100 because it was a smaller bike for it's size. I did not want a huge Goldwing style bike. I did not want a bike that felt big to me. I have worked on a number of different big bikes and they felt "Big" to me. I did not like them at all. The CB1100 felt just right for me. I absolutely love it.

I have an XL600 and it feels Great also. In fact it is the only bike I can ride for long distances and not have my wrists get that numb feeling.
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I have read through this one and was kind of giggling about it. I am 6' 2" and unfortunately like the Tiddler Bikes. I bought the 2014 CB1100 because it was a smaller bike for it's size. I did not want a huge Goldwing style bike. I did not want a bike that felt big to me. I have worked on a number of different big bikes and they felt "Big" to me. I did not like them at all. The CB1100 felt just right for me. I absolutely love it.

I have an XL600 and it feels Great also. In fact it is the only bike I can ride for long distances and not have my wrists get that numb feeling.
If long run hand numbness is an issue on the CB1100, "Grip Puppies" makes quick work of that inconvenience for noticably improved comfort. I learned that from another Forum member's experience.
 
Thread starter
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I have read through this one and was kind of giggling about it. I am 6' 2" and unfortunately like the Tiddler Bikes. I bought the 2014 CB1100 because it was a smaller bike for it's size. I did not want a huge Goldwing style bike. I did not want a bike that felt big to me. I have worked on a number of different big bikes and they felt "Big" to me. I did not like them at all. The CB1100 felt just right for me. I absolutely love it.

I have an XL600 and it feels Great also. In fact it is the only bike I can ride for long distances and not have my wrists get that numb feeling.
The CB1100 was gobs of fun to ride, don't get me wrong. I'm just looking for something a bit more comfortable for daily commutes and weekend getaways. I don't consider Gold Wing style bikes suitable for daily commuting (uber-heavy and not the greatest in city traffic). Not looking for a bike that feels "big" either, just one that puts me in a proper riding position for the style of bike. I felt squashed on the CB1100 (legs at acute angle, bars too close).

Besides the 1983 CB1000F, I owned a 1976 KZ900 when I was about 19 years old. It was a large, scary fast bike in its time and even the local police used them. Checking out a Z900RS this weekend. Dealer wants $7999 (only 200 miles). Was returned to dealer because the buyer said it was "too tall". I've heard they have twitchy throttles... we'll see.
 
OK When I said Goldwing I did not mean it literally. LOL! I road a vintage Suzuki GS1000, after repairs, and it was a beast. Felt really big and well it felt like I was riding a Goldwing. I road my buddies Kawasaki ZRX1200 and it too felt big and bulky but he loves it.

I mean to each their own right. I can understand the CB1100 feeling small... but that is what makes it right for me.

I have spent a life time looking for the Perfect Bikes for my collection. For me the CB1100 is one of the top dogs.
 
Back
Top