Goldwing for long trips?

Gingersdaddy_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Guys, I may have an optuninty to get a Goldwing for long trips where me and the wife will ride togather instead of on our own bikes. I realize there is a big weight difference, but how different is it compaired to the CB? Thanks in advance for any input. :biker:
 
I assume you are talking an 1800? Of course it's huge compared to a CB but there is no better bike IMO for 2 up long distance travel. The motor is amazing, it handles great, their reputation for reliability cannot be matched, your wife will be in a queens perch. They have shaft drive and reverse. There are a lot of owners forums for Goldwings but be prepared for a bumpy ride, they are all old guys set in their ways and way more opinionated than CB owners lol.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I assume you are talking an 1800? Of course it's huge compared to a CB but there is no better bike IMO for 2 up long distance travel. The motor is amazing, it handles great, their reputation for reliability cannot be matched, your wife will be in a queens perch. They have shaft drive and reverse. There are a lot of owners forums for Goldwings but be prepared for a bumpy ride, they are all old guys set in their ways and way more opinionated than CB owners lol.
Yes, we sat on one at the dealer a while back and the "Queen" did like her perch. I visited one of the forums and observed a little of the bumpy ride. If it happens we will probibliy keep both the CB and the Shadow.
 
I think for long distance traveling that there is no better bike.
There is a guy remaking the seats now with a build in "potty"
This way you do not have to stop as often, a great asset for us older people.
The first customer can get his/hers free as long as he/she provides "food back"
 
Lots of good clean wings on the market, owned by little old men, that barely rode them on Sundays lol. Some real bargains to be had.
 
Well nobody answered your question...It is hugely different. Kind of like comparing a pony (the CB) to a draft horse (the GW). It will be a beast at low speed with a passenger aboard. But like others have said, nothing better on the highway at speed. Check the weight (910 lbs!) of the beast and add you and your passenger and luggage and you could be over 1300 lbs! The max load carrying is listed at 417 lbs (people and baggage)-that means that just about every two-up touring GW is overloaded.

If you and your wife are only going to tour once or twice a year, or take shorter trips, you might consider my other ride- a Honda NT700V. You can get one for less than 6 grand.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I think for long distance traveling that there is no better bike.
There is a guy remaking the seats now with a build in "potty"
This way you do not have to stop as often, a great asset for us older people.
The first customer can get his/hers free as long as he/she provides "food back"
That's somewhat similar to my patented, custom Harley saddle, the "BlowRider." It's a methane recovery system that feeds Harley-rider farts directly into the intake manifold. At Sturgis we were seeing MPG gains of over 20%. When we fed the riders pickled eggs and beer, the gains were over 30%.
 
Maybe a svelte BMW would be closer to what a CB feels like?
And Cycle World has picked the BMW K1600 as best touring for many years, and the R1200RT as best sport touring this year. I have never ridden one, but do dream about them on occasion after sitting on them in a dealer...
 
The Wing is a great bike and once you practice some slow seed manuvering in a parking lot, you will love riding it...especially 2 up. There are big differences between the two bikes, but you should have no problem adjusting to those differences. Great bike. I would own one if I had the garage space and the extra money
Oh...and you could probably tow the CB behind it, too. LOL
 
A close friend of mine has an 04 wing. He rides 2 up a lot and told me it just takes some getting used too with the weight ect but boy will that thing eat up the road. We are planning to swap bikes sometime soon. That wing has an adjustable air suspension and will actually get lower than my Nighthawk by a good ways. I guess what amazes me so much as how good that sucker will corner being as big as it is and my bud is a really good rider too.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone. I saw a guy yesterday on a 2008 wing and I stopped and talked to him, he concured with your comments above and said He didn't care for the intercom system and I was like really, there is a problem?? and he said "Yeah, my wife won't shut up back there!" :rofl:
 
Back
Top