Going to ask Takashi for a refund

HondaJon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
We'll guys, I am going to ask Takashi for a refund on the TSR header. It has a fatal design flaw, It is sad because the quality of the components and chrome is first class and the header pipes look soo good.

The RTV blew out again today and I'm done. There is no way in hell RTV alone will hold up against the heat and pressure that an exhaust systems makes, oh, and I forgot the added resistance offered by the CAT. That's why every other system is welded, uses springs or clamps. TSR, what were you thinking???

Here is the google translate version of the instructions regarding the collector

Install the O2 sensor before installing the mounting joint EX EX joint (set part) (a collection section). Apply the liquid gasket that came with the pipe spigot inside the collecting portion. The project out to be too much paint, removal can become very difficult adhesive force becomes stronger, you may be used as a reference about the back half of the insertion portion. # I plug in the collecting portion 4 exhaust pipe 1 to #. I will mount to the inside of the frame mount in the same way as the original pipe muffler stay. The backside uses the M8 nut that comes with a genuine bolt mount bolt.




I'll let everyone know how things go with Takashi. I have often found that you will see the true character of a man when things go wrong.
Going to ask him for a credit towards the motogear titanium header. It has no cat and uses SPRINGS to hold the collector to the pipes.
 
Any reputable mail order business would accept return/exchange for defective parts, or completely dissatisfied with its advertised function. Policy re: eating return shipping cost is sometimes the customers nickel (or yen).
 
Unless you hadn't installed it, I'm not sure I'd take it back if I were him. I'd see what I could do for you with the manufacturer, but he's only the reseller. If the manufacturer won't accept a used return, then he can't possibly absorb that kind of thing. Maybe do a warranty claim with the manufacturer or something. RTV? Really?
 
Thread starter
Good News, Takashi has credited my account already with even receiving the header. He is going to deal with TSR. All TSR needs to do is change thier design and add some tension springs. The chrome finish is supurb. I really liked the look and the bend of the pipes.

Bad news is my bike will be down while I wait for the motogear unit
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Good News, Takashi has credited my account already with even receiving the header. He is going to deal with TSR. All TSR needs to do is change thier design and add some tension springs. The chrome finish is supurb. I really liked the look and the bend of the pipes.

Bad news is my bike will be down while I wait for the motogear unit
Good news Jon
 
That is great service! I plan to place an order soon myself with him.
HondaJon_imp said:
Good News, Takashi has credited my account already with even receiving the header. He is going to deal with TSR. All TSR needs to do is change thier design and add some tension springs. The chrome finish is supurb. I really liked the look and the bend of the pipes.

Bad news is my bike will be down while I wait for the motogear unit
Do you not have the stock unit?
 
Jon -

You've done the forum a great service for uncovering the flaws with the TSR headers. Sure saved me some money!

Takashi is the man. I would have been surprised if he hadn't immediately issued a credit. I'm sure he will relay the issues to TSR. TSR would be smart to make the changes.

The titanium headers sound exciting. Did Takashi provide a lead time?
 
Glad to hear Takashi has done the right thing. Thanks for keeping us informed through every step of the process. Hope the Ti headers work out for you.
 
Jon might have gotten a bad set, because mine work perfect have no leaks, look great and after 250 miles have had 0 backfires and no blueing of the pipes. And the bike is much more fun to ride. I have 0 complaints with mine, and the price was right. Thanks Takashi.



CB4ME_imp said:
Jon -

You've done the forum a great service for uncovering the flaws with the TSR headers. Sure saved me some money!

Takashi is the man. I would have been surprised if he hadn't immediately issued a credit. I'm sure he will relay the issues to TSR. TSR would be smart to make the changes.

The titanium headers sound exciting. Did Takashi provide a lead time?
Jon might have gotten a bad set, because mine work perfect have no leaks, look great and after 250 miles have had 0 backfires and no blueing of the pipes. And the bike is much more fun to ride. I have 0 complaints with mine, and the price was right. Thanks Takahashi.



CB4ME_imp said:
Jon -

You've done the forum a great service for uncovering the flaws with the TSR headers. Sure saved me some money!

Takashi is the man. I would have been surprised if he hadn't immediately issued a credit. I'm sure he will relay the issues to TSR. TSR would be smart to make the changes.

The titanium headers sound exciting. Did Takashi provide a lead time?
 
Thread starter
Darmahman, I'm glad to hear yours are OK and trust me, I hope TSR revises thier design and adds pull spings to this critical union. If they do, I'll buy another set. I LOVE THE LOOK OF THESE HEADERS.

But take a look at this:

Over Racing - Springs



Yoshimura - Springs



Morwaki - Springs



Motogear - Springs



TSR - RTV Sealer ?



Which one do you think will leak?
 
I wonder if a used set of TSR headers will show up on Samurider...

Although I wouldn't do it if I were HondaJon (who wants to spend that much money and then have to do a home-remedy?), the cut and clamp fix ought to work. If the used price were right a trip to the local machine shop for some tab welding and installing springs could work too.
 
When the whole system is buttoned up, I can't get ANY movement out of the connection. Springs wouldn't help. The pipes feel plenty tight in the collector. Plus I think it looks cleaner. I am happy Takashi refunded your money. A quality guy.
 
Thread starter
Indeed. I had the $750 back in my account today, But I wanted those headers. The chrome is soo nice and they just work on the bike.

Maybe I got a bum set?

I did have to remove some ridges in the collector holes for the pipes to fit. I'm curious as to how TSR will react.

$73 to ship back to Japan. Asked Takashi for a shipping credit on my next order.
 
Do you think those ridges were some kind of tool marks from their fab shop or could they have been there on purpose for a "press fit"?
 
Thread starter
Deanohh,

It was slag for sure from the fab shop and only in 2 of the holes.

Trust me guys, I am really bummed. I loved the look of the header. I was even thinking of having it welded, but I don't know anyone with enough skill to do it right.

I wish I spoke Japanese, I would love to talk with TSR. I am tempted to ask Taksahi if TSR would test fit and double check another set for me to make sure all was 100%.

Oh, another thing I didn't mention. The cat had a little play inside the collector, which means it wasn't bonded, which means that with the right tools and some time, it could have been extracted without damaging the collector, not that anyone should defeat emissions equipment on their motorcycle :)
 
Thread starter
**UPDATE**

TAKASHI IS THE MAN! - He is giving me a 7000 yen discount to cover my retrun shipping cost, More good news on the Motogear header;

Hi again, I made inquiry with MotoGear about your question.
It does not have catalytic converter.
and it works with centerstand and stock muffler. + 1000 yen for full polish

Also going to get a TSR Air intake funnel

http://shop.tsrjp.com/item/IS00008N00770.html

These mods should open her up :excited:
 
The snorkle part of the stock filter cover seems to hold the battery in on that side. You might want to make sure the batt is secure when you put on that metal one.
 
Jon,

Takashi continues to impress. He should be everyone's go-to guy for quality Japanese accessories and world-class service.

I wonder if Webike would have issued a refund? I sort of doubt it.

Are you definitely going with the MotoGear Ti headers? Samurider lists the MotoGear slip-on and their full system but doesn't have a listing for headers only. I'm guessing 120,000 yen for the headers???

Considering no restrictive Cat, 100% Ti construction, side and center stand retention, breathtaking appearance etc. they just might justify the hefty price tag.

Question on the TSR air intake funnel? Are you basically desnorkling the bike?
 
Thread starter
CB,

Here is the link for the header, it's on page 2 of Takashi's site.

http://www.samurider.com/?p=15371

Going to be around $800 for the polished unit.

As for the TSR cover, I am looking to "uncork" the motor. The cover looks nice and I don't have to modify the stock lid

The motogear header sans cat, K&N filter, TSR airbox cover, Staintune muffler and PC V should yield some great results. I have also blocked the PAIR valve, which has eliminated the decel pops. Then it is off to get a dyno map made.

I anticipate positive results.
 
How do you block the PAIR valve? I have decal pops with after installing my Staintune so I'd like to try to fix that.
 
Back
Top