GN4 New Formula...

decarmine_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
After reading many posts on this forum, as well as actually reading the owner's manual for my 2014 standard, I purchased a gallon of 10W-30 GN4 (SJ) motorcycle oil for my first 600-mile oil change. I purchased it through Amazon - not FROM Amazon, but FULFILLED BY Amazon.

Emblazoned on the upper right corner of the label are the words "NEW FORMULA"!

When did this new formula first appear? How does it differ from the old formula? Only information with anything that looks like a date is the phrase "US ILA 2011-00156" on the back label. Has it been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for five years?

It seems to have all the specs I've seen mentioned here:
M001HMC190
MA
JASO T903:2006

It's got Honda's reassurance that it's good for all Honda 4-stroke motorcycles. I'm not reluctant to use it -- just wondering if this is the "NEW AND IMPROVED!" product, and if so, then how so?
 
From the latest catalog:

Pro Honda GN4 Honda set the standard for motorcycle oil when it introduced GN4 way back in 1975. We selected the highest-quality base stocks and created an additive package specifi- cally designed for the unique requirements of motorcycle and ATV engines. Constant testing and development give today’s GN4 even better shear resistance, viscosity stability and cleanliness to meet the requirements and stresses of a new era of engine technology.


In other words, I don't know. But it does look like your batch of oil is new. :)

Latest ProHonda Oil Catalog
 
Thread starter
Rolls_imp said:
From the latest catalog:

Pro Honda GN4 Honda set the standard for motorcycle oil when it introduced GN4 way back in 1975. We selected the highest-quality base stocks and created an additive package specifi- cally designed for the unique requirements of motorcycle and ATV engines. Constant testing and development give today’s GN4 even better shear resistance, viscosity stability and cleanliness to meet the requirements and stresses of a new era of engine technology.


In other words, I don't know. But it does look like your batch of oil is new. :)

Latest ProHonda Oil Catalog

Thanks :)
 
I'm going for Amsoil 10w30 full synthetic. Better for high temps as well as cold starts. Change it once a year or 10,000 miles, $8.85 a quart but I'll pay $2 more than Gn4 and ride without worrying about my engine
 
Shhhhhhhhh, Pauley! Don't distract folks from the chain v. shaft debate.
 
:rofl: and here we go

BTW a shaft requires oil, a chain requires "lube"
 
I seldom replace the crush washers on anything. if it sticks to the plug i feel it wants to ride with me a little further. But if i use synthetic oil..... ( Just for you Kballowe)
 
quail_imp said:
I seldom replace the crush washers on anything. if it sticks to the plug i feel it wants to ride with me a little further. But if i use synthetic oil..... ( Just for you Kballowe)
Me too. I've used the same ones on many bikes for years and never had a leak, but once in a while I'll change them if I think they've taken enough abuse.
 
hahahahahaha - I can remember heated discussions about crush washers on a couple other Honda forums.

It appears that some folks are quite passionate about crush washers.
 
Crush washers are cheap. I just buy one whenever I buy a filter and the parts guy tapes it on the filter. So I always change mine.

Do they really crush down? Anybody ever measure one before and after use?
 
Not really. In my mind, they simply keep me from grinding the steel drain plug into the aluminum case.

We have a 20 year old Genuine Honda riding mower.... with the original aluminum "crush" washer.

...our Yamaha uses a crush washer like that found on the end of a spark plug. Those actually do crush, and are single use.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Crush washers are cheap. I just buy one whenever I buy a filter and the parts guy tapes it on the filter. So I always change mine.

Do they really crush down? Anybody ever measure one before and after use?

Yes they can crush but not in the sense of a spark plug crush washer. IF yours has been crushed at all, you should be able to run your thumbnail over the washer from inside to outside, and you will feel a small lip near the outside ring.

I do not automatically change them, but give them the thumbnail test. IF I feel the lip I change it from some I have in stock.

I gave the part number in the HOW TO do your own 600 mile service and hint Honda cars use the exact same part number and around here Honda car dealers sell the part for 1/4 th the price that motorcycle dealers do, but even at the m/c shop they are not very expensive, usually less than a dollar.
 
You can get copper washers from several sources. I use them on some of my vintage stuff. Just an alternative, that's all.
 
Back
Top