Glad Honda didn't make it a 750

tomas_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The CB1100 is a sweet motor. If Honda would have made it a 750, it would have been under powered and you've been shifting a lot more. The motor has really smoothed out after the 1000 mile mark was reached. Before that there was so much tingly vibration in the handle bars, I didn't know if I could live with this bike. Now I don't notice or feel any of it, it smoothed out that much. The motor only has 85 horses, but it feels like much more. I've owned big horsepower bikes, but this motor seems to get the most out of it's 85 horses. I can pass vehicles at will all day long, no matter if I'm riding solo or two up, and if I feel like down shifting or not. When it comes to cruisen, it just purrs on down the road smoothly. Don't know why a person would need more motor. Good job Honda...................:clap:
 
Nice observation! I'm glad it wasn't a 750 as well. My Nighthawk 750 supposedly had 75 horsepower. The 1100 feels so much stronger than the Nighthawk to me. Just right I might say.

I truly do enjoy the experience of riding my CB.
 
This bike fits my power needs quite nicely. It really is a remarkable machine in a world of ubiquitous ADV, cruisers, and sport bikes.
 
I wouldn't mind a CB750 sibling for the CB11. I am kind of partial to "smaller" bikes though and think that if they found some weight savings and positioned it like the old CB400 and tuned it more for power than "feel", it'd be a winner.
 
My Honda NT is a 700 and just doesn't have the b*lls of the CB. I think the CB has a medium feel, not all that large as it is. I wouldn't buy a smaller version, but maybe some would as a starter bike.
 
I find comments about vibration interesting because my engine was very smooth from day one and I don't recall any vibration that I wouldn't call normal.
It certainly wasn't anything like you describe as hard to live with. Maybe yours was "just one of those things'" but I'm glad it smoothed out for you. In fact, from day one I was very impressed with the smoothness of the engine and bike as a whole.
This is by far the best bike I've owned in the past 22 years - and that includes two other new Honda's.
I certainly agree with your comments about adequate power and purring smoothly down the road. This bike never fails to put a smile on my face.
 
Ditto, especially if the down-sized 750 had a similarly down-sized power-to-cc ratio as the 1100.
I was actually dumbfounded when I originally heard what the HP of the new CB1100 was. I don't want to sound contrary here, and I greatly appreciate Honda over-engineering this engine, but I expected at least 20-30 HP more (heck, my old '83 GS1100e had somewhere around 100HP - thirty years ago!). Coming off an FZ1 (100ccs smaller) w/ a little over 150RWHP (modified), the CB's 82HP seemed pretty anemic. I mean, I'm no racer anymore, and I've certainly adapted to the 1100's power and comfort to the point that I find it perfectly acceptable now (in fact, all it took was a few interspersed rides on my '12 Bonneville to make the CB feel like an R1!), but 82HP from 1140ccs is not exactly the basis for bragging rights!
However, having said all that, if there was a 750-sized bike (say, 80-100 lbs. lighter than the CB1100) with the 1100's 82HP, I might be all over that! :D
 
While I love the 1100, I do sometimes wonder why they don't take one of their smaller naked bikes (like the 300 or 500) and set it up with the some of the retro styling cues from the CB bikes of yore
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
I find comments about vibration interesting because my engine was very smooth from day one and I don't recall any vibration that I wouldn't call normal.
It certainly wasn't anything like you describe as hard to live with. Maybe yours was "just one of those things'" but I'm glad it smoothed out for you. In fact, from day one I was very impressed with the smoothness of the engine and bike as a whole.
This is by far the best bike I've owned in the past 22 years - and that includes two other new Honda's.
I certainly agree with your comments about adequate power and purring smoothly down the road. This bike never fails to put a smile on my face.
I guess I should have made it clearer that the vibration wasn't through the entire powerband. I believe it was mostly around the 4000rpm range, and I'd have to say it started to make my hand feel numb and tingly if kept there long. I was wearing heavily padded gloves to avoid the vibration, which helped some. But now, I can ride bare handed and feel no vibration.
 
I can routinely pass cars in 6th gear just by rolling on. I'll admit I'm fascinated by the HP numbers of the KTM Super Duke R, but I have to wonder how much HP can/does one use in a reasonable "I want to keep my license and not die" sense. In the September issue of Cycle World there's an article about engine downsizing by Kevin Cameron that's begs the question of how much of the motor performance do you actually use. I think the CB does a spectacular job providing usable power without using premium fuel, high compression, or water cooling to get it done. But I wouldn't want it any smaller.
 
It sort of beckons into high HP cars as well. I used to have a 400 HP 1970 Olds that was a freakin HOOT to drive, but I had to potential to get into SOOOOOOOOO much trouble with that thing. I just absolutely LOVE smokin up the hides and leaving the BIGGEST cloud of smoke possible, but alas, people (read peace officers) tend to frown on that sort of horse play, and they don't tend to like the acceleration that can be had from a car like that either.

But I digress.....
 
We have a shore resort city of Wildwood Crest here in Joisey. I have a small place in the next town over. They have several car show and bike weekends throughout the summer, and the police and the summer special cops have a reputation of being very strict.

But at one classic car weekend,the cars were in a slow speed parade and the drivers were doing smoky burn outs and the cops assigned to the event were not only letting them, they were cheering them on. Everyone was surprised. It was all at a very low speed and it was harmless fun. Glad they recognized it as such and let it happen.
 
I like the 1100cc mill a great deal. Once I took a ride on my old CB700 with a friend on a ZRX1200. Then I made the mistake of swapping rides with him for a while...I would have bought a ZRX if they'd been fuel injected. I'm glad the CB1100 happened! I'm a little shocked and really happy Honda seems to be continuing to support the bike!
 
Im glad its and 1100 as well and I am a 750 owner. Its by no means down on power imo but needs more torque. The 1100 has that in spades. Honestly, this 750 will do it all and I ride interstates and parkways all the time at 75 mph but a 1100 would just do it so much easier. Its amazing how Honda has figured a way to make every bit of power available to the average user. I had a HD and it felt powerful once it came up on cam at 2K or so but nothing much ever happened beyond that. I just like the linear powerband of the inline 4. Im sold on the basic design. Looking forward to one day upgrading to a modern CB with anti locks, 6 speed, FI, ect.......
 
If I had to describe the power of the CB1100 with one word on what it is and what it isn't, it would go something like this:

It is satisfying, but not exhilarating.

Revving the engine out does provide ample acceleration, but to my butt dyno, there isn't a lot left beyond 7500 rpm. Torque is the big story. I am amazed how strong it pulls from 2000 rpm. My FJR wasn't awake until around 3000, though that bike accelerated like the hand of God was shoving you forward.
 
For who (whom?) the CB's targeted buyer was, it's got enough HP and certainly enough torque.
No bike can please everyone or fit everyone's riding style. Heck, we got people here lamenting the bikes performance at 2,000rpm and we got you hankering for more power above 7,500.
Horses for courses and all that.
 
Back
Top