Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....

Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
I am having no issue on 10w-40 here in Texas


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe I have said numerous times in this thread, or maybe the other one talking about the recommended oil, some bikes don't have any issues running the 10w40 oil while others will kick and scream until you get the 40 weight out and put the recommended weight oil in which from what reference has pointed out Honda recommends 10w30 for our bike. To take it one step further after a certain year Honda actually recommends only 30 weight.

My bike as well as others who have contributed to this thread are the ones that prefer to run better without issues with only 10w30.

If your bike can run 10w40 I congratulate you, your bike is not one if the picky ones I guess you could say.

Regarding the 40 weight oil and the heat/temperature top end, it all depends on what chart you use as in another thread I shared three different charts and two of them had the top temp off the charts for both 30 and 40 weights. I have also read that the 30 weight will dissipate the heat quicker and with an air cooled machine that is actually preferred.

Take it as you may the key is to ride safe and keep the wheels down!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I will Putin 10w30 pnm the next change or as soon as I hear something. Taking no chances for sure. The dealer is the one who told me to put in the 10w40.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I am having no issue on 10w-40 here in Texas


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe I have said numerous times in this thread, or maybe the other one talking about the recommended oil, some bikes don't have any issues running the 10w40 oil while others will kick and scream until you get the 40 weight out and put the recommended weight oil in which from what reference has pointed out Honda recommends 10w30 for our bike. To take it one step further after a certain year Honda actually recommends only 30 weight.

My bike as well as others who have contributed to this thread are the ones that prefer to run better without issues with only 10w30.

If your bike can run 10w40 I congratulate you, your bike is not one if the picky ones I guess you could say.

Regarding the 40 weight oil and the heat/temperature top end, it all depends on what chart you use as in another thread I shared three different charts and two of them had the top temp off the charts for both 30 and 40 weights. I have also read that the 30 weight will dissipate the heat quicker and with an air cooled machine that is actually preferred.

Take it as you may the key is to ride safe and keep the wheels down!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
...To take it one step further after a certain year Honda actually recommends only 30 weight....
Not trying to start an argument, but Honda says you can use 40 weight oil in higher temps. In the service manual, Honda recommends 30 weight, and, in a side bar Honda says:

"Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average temperature in your riding area is within the indicated range."

The "other viscosity" is 40 weight. The chart could have been clearer about the temp range, I interpret the range as 60 degrees F, and/or approximately 15 degrees C.

Regardless, Honda clearly states that 40 weight oil can be used in higher temperatures. They do not exclusively recommend 30 weight or nothing else.

I was at the dealer on thursday talking to the service manager, I told him about the problems some owners are having with 40 weight, (I was concerned because I am running 40 weight). So I asked him if he was sure about using 40 weight oil, since after all, Honda recommends 30 weight. He showed me page 3-14 in the service manual. He said they used 40 weight in all of the CB1100's they sold, (12 of them), and have not heard of any issue. He also assured me that using 40 weight would not affect the warranty. I just took a picture of that page from my service manual.



I am convinced that the problems you guys had were a result of the colder climate, this is (probably) why the 40 weight did not work out for you.

Those of us that live in warmer climates and are using 40 weight are, in fact, in compliance with Honda's recommendations, and need not worry. I wish I had looked at the service manual sooner.

Peace
 
Thread starter
Well the English language and how it is written or read leaves quite a lot to interpretation. Like when someone says "ride it like you stole it", how many different ways can that be interpreted???

Is that the same 1100 manual that someone else had checked and reported back the 30 weight? Who knows... Looks like one page may be the same but another area doesn't mention anything else.. Are there different versions of this manual? Who knows... Are there different interpretations? who knows... Please see the other thread http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Any number of things could be interpreted here. When I asked my dealership they came back and said 10w30 and said it did not mention any other viscosities... That is how the dealership read it...

Like I have said numerous times now, if your bike can run the 40 weight oil and doesn't kick scream or make goofy noises then great for you. You are one of the lucky ones... There is a good number of us that have the, for the lack of a better term, finicky bikes and not all of us are in the frozen climates.

The key thing is ride safe keep your wheels down and enjoy the bike.

Please for those that are lucky to run the 40 weight please keep the contents, comments, personal findings about 40 weight oil off of this thread as this has turned into almost an informative one for those with the noise reading how others before then have dealt with it. putting your findings or views only clouds this thread when some may look to it for guidance in the future. Post your comments or views on that other thread about the recommended oil. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Wheels down and enjoy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Well the English language and how it is written or read leaves quite a lot to interpretation. Like when someone says "ride it like you stole it", how many different ways can that be interpreted???

Is that the same 1100 manual that someone else had checked and reported back the 30 weight? Who knows... Looks like one page may be the same but another area doesn't mention anything else.. Are there different versions of this manual? Who knows... Are there different interpretations? who knows... Please see the other thread http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Any number of things could be interpreted here. When I asked my dealership they came back and said 10w30 and said it did not mention any other viscosities... That is how the dealership read it...

Like I have said numerous times now, if your bike can run the 40 weight oil and doesn't kick scream or make goofy noises then great for you. You are one of the lucky ones... There is a good number of us that have the, for the lack of a better term, finicky bikes and not all of us are in the frozen climates.

The key thing is ride safe keep your wheels down and enjoy the bike.

Please for those that are lucky to run the 40 weight please keep the contents, comments, personal findings about 40 weight oil off of this thread as this has turned into almost an informative one for those with the noise reading how others before then have dealt with it. putting your findings or views only clouds this thread when some may look to it for guidance in the future. Post your comments or views on that other thread about the recommended oil. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Wheels down and enjoy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The excerpt I just posted can only be interpreted in one way....

dBuster_imp said:
Well the English language and how it is written or read leaves quite a lot to interpretation. Like when someone says "ride it like you stole it", how many different ways can that be interpreted???

Is that the same 1100 manual that someone else had checked and reported back the 30 weight? Who knows... Looks like one page may be the same but another area doesn't mention anything else.. Are there different versions of this manual? Who knows... Are there different interpretations? who knows... Please see the other thread http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Any number of things could be interpreted here. When I asked my dealership they came back and said 10w30 and said it did not mention any other viscosities... That is how the dealership read it...

Like I have said numerous times now, if your bike can run the 40 weight oil and doesn't kick scream or make goofy noises then great for you. You are one of the lucky ones... There is a good number of us that have the, for the lack of a better term, finicky bikes and not all of us are in the frozen climates.

The key thing is ride safe keep your wheels down and enjoy the bike.

Please for those that are lucky to run the 40 weight please keep the contents, comments, personal findings about 40 weight oil off of this thread as this has turned into almost an informative one for those with the noise reading how others before then have dealt with it. putting your findings or views only clouds this thread when some may look to it for guidance in the future. Post your comments or views on that other thread about the recommended oil. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Wheels down and enjoy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It is the Honda service manual for the 2013 Honda CB1100, the same one the Service Manager at our local dealer has........Do you think I'm lying about this? What do you need?

dBuster_imp said:
Well the English language and how it is written or read leaves quite a lot to interpretation. Like when someone says "ride it like you stole it", how many different ways can that be interpreted???

Is that the same 1100 manual that someone else had checked and reported back the 30 weight? Who knows... Looks like one page may be the same but another area doesn't mention anything else.. Are there different versions of this manual? Who knows... Are there different interpretations? who knows... Please see the other thread http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Any number of things could be interpreted here. When I asked my dealership they came back and said 10w30 and said it did not mention any other viscosities... That is how the dealership read it...

Like I have said numerous times now, if your bike can run the 40 weight oil and doesn't kick scream or make goofy noises then great for you. You are one of the lucky ones... There is a good number of us that have the, for the lack of a better term, finicky bikes and not all of us are in the frozen climates.

The key thing is ride safe keep your wheels down and enjoy the bike.

Please for those that are lucky to run the 40 weight please keep the contents, comments, personal findings about 40 weight oil off of this thread as this has turned into almost an informative one for those with the noise reading how others before then have dealt with it. putting your findings or views only clouds this thread when some may look to it for guidance in the future. Post your comments or views on that other thread about the recommended oil. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Wheels down and enjoy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Not sure what else you could get out of it.

dBuster_imp said:
Well the English language and how it is written or read leaves quite a lot to interpretation. Like when someone says "ride it like you stole it", how many different ways can that be interpreted???

Is that the same 1100 manual that someone else had checked and reported back the 30 weight? Who knows... Looks like one page may be the same but another area doesn't mention anything else.. Are there different versions of this manual? Who knows... Are there different interpretations? who knows... Please see the other thread http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Any number of things could be interpreted here. When I asked my dealership they came back and said 10w30 and said it did not mention any other viscosities... That is how the dealership read it...

Like I have said numerous times now, if your bike can run the 40 weight oil and doesn't kick scream or make goofy noises then great for you. You are one of the lucky ones... There is a good number of us that have the, for the lack of a better term, finicky bikes and not all of us are in the frozen climates.

The key thing is ride safe keep your wheels down and enjoy the bike.

Please for those that are lucky to run the 40 weight please keep the contents, comments, personal findings about 40 weight oil off of this thread as this has turned into almost an informative one for those with the noise reading how others before then have dealt with it. putting your findings or views only clouds this thread when some may look to it for guidance in the future. Post your comments or views on that other thread about the recommended oil. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Wheels down and enjoy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Agreed

dBuster_imp said:
Well the English language and how it is written or read leaves quite a lot to interpretation. Like when someone says "ride it like you stole it", how many different ways can that be interpreted???

Is that the same 1100 manual that someone else had checked and reported back the 30 weight? Who knows... Looks like one page may be the same but another area doesn't mention anything else.. Are there different versions of this manual? Who knows... Are there different interpretations? who knows... Please see the other thread http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Any number of things could be interpreted here. When I asked my dealership they came back and said 10w30 and said it did not mention any other viscosities... That is how the dealership read it...

Like I have said numerous times now, if your bike can run the 40 weight oil and doesn't kick scream or make goofy noises then great for you. You are one of the lucky ones... There is a good number of us that have the, for the lack of a better term, finicky bikes and not all of us are in the frozen climates.

The key thing is ride safe keep your wheels down and enjoy the bike.

Please for those that are lucky to run the 40 weight please keep the contents, comments, personal findings about 40 weight oil off of this thread as this has turned into almost an informative one for those with the noise reading how others before then have dealt with it. putting your findings or views only clouds this thread when some may look to it for guidance in the future. Post your comments or views on that other thread about the recommended oil. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2551

Wheels down and enjoy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
No one is trying to muddy up this thread. Believe what you wish, but you are not considering that your (and others) claim that Honda specifies the exclusive use of 30 weight is causing concern among some of us that use 40 weight, even though most of us are not having issues. I was worried a little myself, until I looked into it, using credible sources.

Just one example, a member recently posted that he is going to go to the expense of changing his oil, (his choice), even though he is not having issues. What you are saying is causing concern to others. Honda does not say that, I just showed you proof of it. It is not a personal finding, it is in the Honda Service Manual for the 2013 CB1100. There are three different areas in the manual that list specification for engine oil, the excerpt I printed is the only one of the three that mentions 40 weight, but it is there.

I was one of the first people to listen to your original post, out of concern for you, my advice was to go straight to the dealer. I'm sorry your dealer didn't take your problem seriously, I would have demanded that they find the problem and fix it, period. I assure you that if you had demanded more, you would have received more. The truth is that you do not know for sure what is/was wrong. My only reason for posting here was to perhaps provide you with another perspective, (trying to help you). I am suggesting that until you are sure, you should keep an open mind. There are other things that cause low oil pressure, (your actual problem), what if it's not the viscosity of your oil?

I truly hope that your problem is fixed, I do. You don't have to worry about me posting anything else on your thread.

As I said before,

Peace
 
I trust members with seat of their pants experience much more than any manual and much more than any service manager recommendation. Oil pressure problems have occurred in FL, HI, AZ, MA, NY WI average median temps are so different in these location and don't come into play. They circulation of oil in these bikes is the problem and would not be surprised five yrs down the road to start creating problems. If Honda made a 5W-20 for motorcycle's i would be putting that in my bike. I considering going to Lucas 5W-20 on my next change.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display...3&loc=show
 
Steve I'd agree with you with the following exception...everyones experiences are so different with any product that it's really a crap shoot as to whether that product is any good or not. My brother and I laugh a lot because like most of you we are researchers these days. On every product we go online and read the reviews ....and they are inevitably so mixed. For example ...He was thinking about a new helmet, a Shoei Quest and had gone online to read reviews. He called and I said what did the reviews say? And he said " oh, you know, it the best/worst, loudest/ quietest, best fitting/worst fitting helmet they have ever worn." And we both laughed because that's how it always is when you are dealing with individual opinions.

I have found, (as long as your bike is under warranty at least), it is best to follow the manufacturers, the guys who designed and manufactured the product, recommendations. YMMV

I am always amazed by people (not saying you) who quote the manufacturer like gospel on things they support, and then dismiss off hand what the manufacturer says on things they don't.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Steve I'd agree with you with the following exception...everyones experiences are so different with any product that it's really a crap shoot as to whether that product is any good or not. My brother and I laugh a lot because like most of you we are researchers these days. On every product we go online and read the reviews ....and they are inevitably so mixed. For example ...He was thinking about a new helmet, a Shoei Quest and had gone online to read reviews. He called and I said what did the reviews say? And he said " oh, you know, it the best/worst, loudest/ quietest, best fitting/worst fitting helmet they have ever worn." And we both laughed because that's how it always is when you are dealing with individual opinions.

I have found, (as long as your bike is under warranty at least), it is best to follow the manufacturers, the guys who designed and manufactured the product, recommendations. YMMV

I am always amazed by people (not saying you) who quote the manufacturer like gospel on things they support, and then dismiss off hand what the manufacturer says on things they don't.
Agreed Mickey, you have to read through the crap, but when issue's like this come up Honda or any other company, you can be assured we will be the last to know.
 
Lol..if they will admit to it at all.
 
Thread starter
I am not trying to raise any fear in anyone but there is more than just myself that have had this noise with 40 weight oil in then changed back to the recommended 30 weight oil and the noises went away.

I don't know how you can say that is nothing..

True the dealership should have done more but they didn't. They, the so called Honda certified staff just told me it was a break in period for the oil which I think we all can agree on is a load of cr ap.

To Guth and or any other forum moderator, can this thread be locked and closed since it was derailed and if I have any other concerns or questions I can pm those that have been helping/guiding me along. I think those that run into this noise issue can weed through the derailment and learn what others, not only myself, have done to get their bikes back to something more normal.

If those may sayers read the thread title it was about the strange noise after the first service which just so happened to turn out to be an oil issue. Not a debate on viscosities.

And to davidsagree, have you not heard of different editions of a book or manual? So then it is possible for two copies to say different things... Unless in a perfect world there is only one version but there is no such thing just like our bikes are not identical and each one is unique even coming off the same assembly line.. Sorry but interpretation on how one reads something just like how I am sure your interpreting this comment differently than what it is actually saying.


Wheels down ride safe!!!

Please close and lock this thread, delete this post also it deemed necessary. Thank you.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Dbuster oil threads are like dandelions. You can kill one, but another will just pop up in it's place.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Dbuster oil threads are like dandelions. You can kill one, but another will just pop up in it's place.
That is fine, another one can pop up. This thread was about my getting ready for the riding season and I was greeted by bad sounds. Somehow it was derailed into an oil debate. Was hoping that it could have remained a decent thread where if someone else had bad sounds like what I shared that they could read about how others, including others not just myself, had resolved the noise. To include others not exactly in a frozen region either...

Like I have been saying all along our bikes are not the same and some just don't like running the same as others. Sure they are cb1100's but they all came off the assembly line at different times which means they are not the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
A guide to help assistance from American Honda Motor Co.
our concern, an intermittent engine noise,the cause is unknown.
(1) contact the service manager at a dealer with your concern, tell him your facts as far as your engine noise goes. NO hearsays.your experience is all that counts, no other opinions or internet forum gibberish as far as problem and cures. try to duplicate your concern for him, ask him to document your concern on their company service or repair order with your name address phone number and most important you bikes serial number. ask him to contact his area Honda service rep for assistance with your concern.ask for a copy of the repair order. Be polite, demand nothing.
(2)with your copy of the repair order, contact Honda motorcycle customer service with your concern. again quote only your concerns with your machine not internet gibberish. Honda will document your info by your model and serial number. recontact the dealer in person and Honda customer service every seven days for followup.Be polite,demand nothing. the more contacts with facts that Honda receives the sooner our concerns will be looked at. opinions and gibberish are ignored to keep from clouding the original concern received from we the owners of our Honda cb1100's. note: I have not read here of a engine failure so to me this means there is no fire to put out. contact the dealer and Honda customer service and do the follow ups. ride and enjoy knowing that your concern is in the Honda data base. avoid the internet gibberish .
not intended to offend anyone
Paul.
Paul
 
Seems to like everyone after swapping to 10w40 has the rattle which is to thick of oil for the relief valve. When you swap back you got to remember after changing O/F there is still about a quart left in the motor. Not sure about now but I would still think do but new motors always come with beak in oil meaning it has ZINK in the oil helps break in motor and seat the rings it's very hard to find oil with ZINK now. I'm going to run my oil for atleast 1,000 miles due to getting my rings seated ! But that's just me I'm not telling anyone else to do it. If you ever rebuilt a motor of any kind jack roush sells break in oil but it's very high ( nascar) but you need ZINK in a new motor


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top