Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....

Thread starter
40 weight oil out. Refilled with 30 weight and per CIP57's recommendations I let the bike run afterwards on the center stand to get it all circulated and there was already a noticeable difference. The true test will be tomorrow morning when I ride to work. If it is quiet I am sold only using 30 weight.

I will say this, after the ride home tonight I ran in to get a bit to eat then came back out fired up the bike to warm the oil up again and boy was the bike a clanging banging noisy bugger... Not sure how else to put it.

Just before the oil change:

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
40 weight oil out. Refilled with 30 weight and per CIP57's recommendations I let the bike run afterwards on the center stand to get it all circulated and there was already a noticeable difference. The true test will be tomorrow morning when I ride to work. If it is quiet I am sold only using 30 weight.

I will say this, after the ride home tonight I ran in to get a bit to eat then came back out fired up the bike to warm the oil up again and boy was the bike a clanging banging noisy bugger... Not sure how else to put it.

Just before the oil change:

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Yep exactly how mine sounds. It terrible to listen to:(
 
Ok I'm a newbie to this forum. Had a bunch of bikes! Sounds odd to me after the first oil change the noise starts ! I got a new red 2014 orderd. I'm guessing the check valve in the oil filter is bad maybe honda has a bad lot of oil filters. Have not seen a cb1100 with the oil filter off but it might have a check valve in the block where the filter screws on most look like a d tent ball. Tap it with a wooden hammer handle it should spring back ! That's if it has one!
Michael
I just watched the YouTube sounds like timing chain noise due to low oil psi! I would look on a new bike and get the part # from the oil filter & check it with the one they replaced it with! I'm just doing a lot of guessing here. But sure sounds like a timming chain noise to me and from what I have read on this post it starts noise after first oil change! I worked on Nissan for 20 years and people would bring in cars & trucks with same noise after having oiled changed using aftermarket oil filters, we would install a Nissan oil filter and the noise would go away! Nissan had check valves in their oil filters!
Michael
 
Fleetwood_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don't think we have that kind of valve. There is a check valve shown, but is inside somewhere. Reference this http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bdef870021404ec5a2d/crankcase

Item 8
Well, i did the 10-30 "swap" lol all seems fine but time will tell if the knock will return. Have you heard anything from your bike D-buster?
Well, i did the 10-30 "swap" lol all seems fine but time will tell if the knock will return. Have you heard anything from your bike D-buster?
Good to hear fleet, keep us updated.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don't think we have that kind of valve. There is a check valve shown, but is inside somewhere. Reference this http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bdef870021404ec5a2d/crankcase

Item 8
I just looked in my service manual, there is a "pressure release valve" a little ways before the oil goes into the filter, there is another valve, referred to just as a "relief valve" a little ways after the oil filter. In the troubleshooting section, one of the listed causes of low oil pressure is for one of these valves to be "stuck open".

dBuster and/or Fleetwood, did your dealers check your oil pressure? I don't recall any mention in previous posts.

Regardless of the cause, the root of your problem is low oil pressure. Just wondering....
 
David,

Thanks for that. I'm going to look in my manual tonight and get educated!
 
Thread starter
Well after the oil change it quieted down some but here is a video from yesterday after rising to work. Wasn't going to post it until after my ride home tonight to see if it was any different... You be the judge.

After changing oil next day after ride to work:

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Well after the oil change it quieted down some but here is a video from yesterday after rising to work. Wasn't going to post it until after my ride home tonight to see if it was any different... You be the judge.

After changing oil next day after ride to work:

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Its better but not acceptable, which is telling me its an oil pressure issue. From looking at the filter in both clips it does not look like you changed the oil filter. If you didn't pick one up and change it out.
If that doesn't work I would drop the oil again and change it, i know its costly but the dealer will just give you the run around again.

DB, check out this video i made for you.

 
CIP57_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Well after the oil change it quieted down some but here is a video from yesterday after rising to work. Wasn't going to post it until after my ride home tonight to see if it was any different... You be the judge.

After changing oil next day after ride to work:

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Its better but not acceptable, which is telling me its an oil pressure issue. From looking at the filter in both clips it does not look like you changed the oil filter. If you didn't pick one up and change it out.
If that doesn't work I would drop the oil again and change it, i know its costly but the dealer will just give you the run around again.

DB, check out this video i made for you.

Its better but not acceptable, which is telling me its an oil pressure issue. From looking at the filter in both clips it does not look like you changed the oil filter. If you didn't pick one up and change it out.
If that doesn't work I would drop the oil again and change it, i know its costly but the dealer will just give you the run around again.

DB, check out this video i made for you.


Hey Db, I changed my oil to honda full synthetic 10w-30 and new filter. Had a alittle rattle, then took it to work, there's not rattle to speak of. New filter is recommended. I'm in love with my CB again and a little wiser about my dealer lol.
Cip57, very intresting video. I no longer have the noise but my oil does not read in the sight glass when running, it disappears until the motor is off.
 
Fleetwood_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Well after the oil change it quieted down some but here is a video from yesterday after rising to work. Wasn't going to post it until after my ride home tonight to see if it was any different... You be the judge.

After changing oil next day after ride to work:

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Its better but not acceptable, which is telling me its an oil pressure issue. From looking at the filter in both clips it does not look like you changed the oil filter. If you didn't pick one up and change it out.
If that doesn't work I would drop the oil again and change it, i know its costly but the dealer will just give you the run around again.

DB, check out this video i made for you.

Its better but not acceptable, which is telling me its an oil pressure issue. From looking at the filter in both clips it does not look like you changed the oil filter. If you didn't pick one up and change it out.
If that doesn't work I would drop the oil again and change it, i know its costly but the dealer will just give you the run around again.

DB, check out this video i made for you.


Hey Db, I changed my oil to honda full synthetic 10w-30 and new filter. Had a alittle rattle, then took it to work, there's not rattle to speak of. New filter is recommended. I'm in love with my CB again and a little wiser about my dealer lol.
Cip57, very intresting video. I no longer have the noise but my oil does not read in the sight glass when running, it disappears until the motor is off.
Its better but not acceptable, which is telling me its an oil pressure issue. From looking at the filter in both clips it does not look like you changed the oil filter. If you didn't pick one up and change it out.
If that doesn't work I would drop the oil again and change it, i know its costly but the dealer will just give you the run around again.

DB, check out this video i made for you.


Hey Db, I changed my oil to honda full synthetic 10w-30 and new filter. Had a alittle rattle, then took it to work, there's not rattle to speak of. New filter is recommended. I'm in love with my CB again and a little wiser about my dealer lol.
Cip57, very intresting video. I no longer have the noise but my oil does not read in the sight glass when running, it disappears until the motor is off. It very well could be the angle you have your bike on. When I filled mine with 4 quarts it fills the window it's possible yours is just filled to the upper line More importantly it should fill up quickly once the motor is turned off
 
Thread starter
I will get a new filter Saturday... Thanks cip57 for your video. Will use it as a baseline to strive for.

But after riding home tonight things are sounding better.

Is it what the dealership called the break in period after an oil change? I doubt it..

But to me it sounds better...

2 days after oil change to the correct oil:

Oh and Honda mother ship wants me to call in and give my experience to them. Explain what has happened. Explain my issues.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
I will get a new filter Saturday... Thanks cip57 for your video. Will use it as a baseline to strive for.

But after riding home tonight things are sounding better.

Is it what the dealership called the break in period after an oil change? I doubt it..

But to me it sounds better...

2 days after oil change to the correct oil:

Oh and Honda mother ship wants me to call in and give my experience to them. Explain what has happened. Explain my issues.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
A marked improvement, its just about gone. Drop that filter and you should be good to go, if you hear any hint of it still there drop the oil again. Recover a quart in case you need to top off between your next oil change.
Break in period with in oil change is a bunch of crap, amazing what they will tell you to get you out of the dealership.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
I will get a new filter Saturday... Thanks cip57 for your video. Will use it as a baseline to strive for.

But after riding home tonight things are sounding better.

Is it what the dealership called the break in period after an oil change? I doubt it..

But to me it sounds better...

2 days after oil change to the correct oil:

Oh and Honda mother ship wants me to call in and give my experience to them. Explain what has happened. Explain my issues.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
A marked improvement, its just about gone. Drop that filter and you should be good to go, if you hear any hint of it still there drop the oil again. Recover a quart in case you need to top off between your next oil change.
Break in period with in oil change is a bunch of crap, amazing what they will tell you to get you out of the dealership.
I wasnt buying the break in period after an oil change garbage either. Just found that extremely funny they said it. I plan on mentioning that when I speak to the Honda mother ship...

Do you recommend a different filter or just get the same filter from the dealership?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
dbuster,

I just have to ask--does tapatalk have autocorrect? ;)

Edit to add: I did not mean for this to sound snippy or be a grammar nazi. I apologize if it did. I meant it looked like tapatalk was mangling his sentences.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
dbuster,

I just have to ask--does tapatalk have autocorrect? ;)

Edit to add: I did not mean for this to sound snippy or be a grammar nazi. I apologize if it did. I meant it looked like tapatalk was mangling his sentences.
Well tapatalk is on my mobile device and I do have autocorrect turned on... I guess I need to read my posts several times before hitting post. :)

Plus I didn't have enough coffee in me before that post this morning as well as a 4 year old having to get ready for daycare and the wife almost complaining about me reading about the 1100 again. Not that she would but she does... Just don't tell her I said that.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top