Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....

dBuster_imp said:
Jon and CIP both said they had 10w40 for their first service that they did themselves and had noises. My dealership used 10w40 and you hear the noise in my video after warm up. Jon and CIP went back to 10w30 and the noises went away...

The service manual calls for 10w30 for our bike.

Come to your own conclusion whether that was the problem or not. Maybe not all of our 1100's have issues with the 40 weight oil but it sure would seem like some do have issues.
I will be dropping the 40 weight out of my bike and putting the 30 weight in. Just as soon as I find a video on where to do it from or find a manual showing me.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Wasn't questioning you, I had not read the entire thread at the time, and I was wondering what the dealer's diagnosis is, it appears there is not one, which I find a little disconcerting, (on the dealer's part).

I was just pointing out that I have not had any problems, and I am using a full synthetic 10w40 for motorcycles. As I said before, I am considering going to 10w30 at the 4000 mile change just to be sure. I have been riding my bike regularly, never more than 5 or 6 days between rides.

You are in Wisconsin, and Fleetwood is in Kansas, your winters are much colder than ours, I'm wondering if this might be a factor as well, did your bikes sit up for a while, then develop the problem with the heavy oil? Or was it a problem before that? This could be a reason some CB1100's have troubles, and some do not.

Regardless, maybe the oil change will solve your troubles, hope so anyway.

Cheers.
 
Thread starter
Davidsagree, if I recall I said not all have this issue with the heavier weight. Not all bikes are the same they are but they aren't at the same time. Each bike side by side off of the same assembly line will be different in some way.

It could be the cold winter and storage but others have experienced the sound without having to have stored the bike.

Personally, the bikes should be able to take either weight... Having riden for 18 years in Arizona the heavier weight would have been almost natural to use.

The key thing is to keep the wheels down and hold on enjoying the ride.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Hey guys, sorry I've been away for a little bit because of work. No news on my bike, will get some info on Tuesday. My bike was stored for a little bit but it had the 10w-30 from the factory and never made a peep. I finally put some miles on it because of some warmer weather and had the 600 mile service done to it. Weather still warm and riding the bike started making noises soon as I took the bike home and unloaded off my truck after the service. Kept looking for a loose bracket narrowed it down to crankcase noise. I'm thinking dealer used 10w-40, if so I will drain and refill with synthetic 10w-30 and have dealer note that 10w-40 was added and made noises for warranty purpose. Thats if they used 10w-40.
 
Oil is oil 10-30, 20-50..... when the engine is at operating temperature it shouldn't be trying to eat itself.
Did they run it without oil???????????
 
Hi all, been listening to the noise, in the 80, s , 500 kawasaki used to suffer with sticking faulty cam chain tensioners, used to change loads of them and that in my humble opinion is what it sounds like.
 
dBuster_imp said:
Davidsagree, if I recall I said not all have this issue with the heavier weight. Not all bikes are the same they are but they aren't at the same time. Each bike side by side off of the same assembly line will be different in some way.

It could be the cold winter and storage but others have experienced the sound without having to have stored the bike.

Personally, the bikes should be able to take either weight... Having riden for 18 years in Arizona the heavier weight would have been almost natural to use.

The key thing is to keep the wheels down and hold on enjoying the ride.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Agreed, :)

I have never heard of a problem like that caused by the weight of the engine oil. Perhaps the tolerances in modern engines are close enough these days that it can occur. Wow, who would have thought?

Cheers
 
Fleetwood_imp said:
Hey guys, sorry I've been away for a little bit because of work. No news on my bike, will get some info on Tuesday. My bike was stored for a little bit but it had the 10w-30 from the factory and never made a peep. I finally put some miles on it because of some warmer weather and had the 600 mile service done to it. Weather still warm and riding the bike started making noises soon as I took the bike home and unloaded off my truck after the service. Kept looking for a loose bracket narrowed it down to crankcase noise. I'm thinking dealer used 10w-40, if so I will drain and refill with synthetic 10w-30 and have dealer note that 10w-40 was added and made noises for warranty purpose. Thats if they used 10w-40.
Been using 10W40 riding the crap out of it. Sounds lovely, like a inline four should sound.

Sounds like a few of these have had improperly adjusted cam chain tensioners.
 
Thread starter
Fleetwood, any word on your bike? Did the dealership use 40 weight oil? Can't wait to hear your findings.

I have not dropped the 40 weight out of my bike yet, family duties have kept me from doing it. I will do it trust me, that 40 weight is coming out of my bike. My bike is one of those that gets noisy and cranky with the 40 weight.

But like I said in the other thread about the service manual calling for 10w30, that our bikes may be the same model but they are all different and some do not like the 40 weight while others bikes can handle it. It is each owners choice of what we run in our bikes since the last time I checked my bike doesn't have an A/I to make decisions. If you run 40 weight, great your bike may be better than those that can't.

Keep the wheels down!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Fleetwood, any word on your bike? Did the dealership use 40 weight oil? Can't wait to hear your findings.

I have not dropped the 40 weight out of my bike yet, family duties have kept me from doing it. I will do it trust me, that 40 weight is coming out of my bike. My bike is one of those that gets noisy and cranky with the 40 weight.

But like I said in the other thread about the service manual calling for 10w30, that our bikes may be the same model but they are all different and some do not like the 40 weight while others bikes can handle it. It is each owners choice of what we run in our bikes since the last time I checked my bike doesn't have an A/I to make decisions. If you run 40 weight, great your bike may be better than those that can't.

Keep the wheels down!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Just received some news, my bike is ready to come home! Come to find out that the balancer chain was bad? Honda told my dealer to replace it and that stopped the noise. Egar to pick it up and run it for a bit. My service guy also said he put 10W-30 from the get go so idk about the oil situation?
 
inaccurate statement from your dealer and Honda, the cb1100 engine does not have a balancer chain.the balancer shaft is gear driven direct from the crankshaft. I think you and our forum members would like to have accurate info. maybe ask for an update from the dealer or from Honda.
vfrpaul.
 
vfrpaul98_imp said:
inaccurate statement from your dealer and Honda, the cb1100 engine does not have a balancer chain.the balancer shaft is gear driven direct from the crankshaft. I think you and our forum members would like to have accurate info. maybe ask for an update from the dealer or from Honda.
vfrpaul.
This post is what makes these forums so valuable.
 
CIP57_imp said:
vfrpaul98_imp said:
inaccurate statement from your dealer and Honda, the cb1100 engine does not have a balancer chain.the balancer shaft is gear driven direct from the crankshaft. I think you and our forum members would like to have accurate info. maybe ask for an update from the dealer or from Honda.
vfrpaul.
This post is what makes these forums so valuable.
This post is what makes these forums so valuable.
Wow, didn't know that, the noise is still there it took longer for it to warm up before the noise came back. I'm just going to switch to the synthetic 10w-30 and call it a day. If it blows up it's covered.
 
Fleetwood_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
vfrpaul98_imp said:
inaccurate statement from your dealer and Honda, the cb1100 engine does not have a balancer chain.the balancer shaft is gear driven direct from the crankshaft. I think you and our forum members would like to have accurate info. maybe ask for an update from the dealer or from Honda.
vfrpaul.
This post is what makes these forums so valuable.
This post is what makes these forums so valuable.
Wow, didn't know that, the noise is still there it took longer for it to warm up before the noise came back. I'm just going to switch to the synthetic 10w-30 and call it a day. If it blows up it's covered.
This post is what makes these forums so valuable.
Wow, didn't know that, the noise is still there it took longer for it to warm up before the noise came back. I'm just going to switch to the synthetic 10w-30 and call it a day. If it blows up it's covered. Fleetwood,

I'll tell you a quick story, my 1982 GS1100 had been sitting for a few years, brought it into the the dealer to get a carb syn and cleaning. When i went to pick it up they told me the motor was shot that they could not get it past 3000rpm's but that they would buy it off me for $500.00/// Rode the bike home pulled the carbs with my buddy to my NOT surprise they left all 4 main jets sitting in the bowl. Back than these bikes where worked to make 1/4 mile bikes once the crank was welded and the owner was a track guy. I will leave it to your imagination what a did after that.
I good mechanic you can trust is gold.
 
Thread starter
Yeah ride my bike to work today and the noise is there when I got to work. Cold or just warming up it is sounding normal. Ride it and get that noise again... so tonight the 30 weight is going in. There has to be a better explanation.

Fleetwood, I agree with the others find out from your dealer. What the they were smoking and to share it with everyone...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
How about a bad or intermittent injector. Have seen 4 and 6 cyl carbureted bikes with sync so far out you thought the engine was coming apart. Has anyone experiencing the noise tried releasing the clutch while it was happening ?
 
CBXBob_imp said:
How about a bad or intermittent injector. Have seen 4 and 6 cyl carbureted bikes with sync so far out you thought the engine was coming apart. Has anyone experiencing the noise tried releasing the clutch while it was happening ?
I did Bob, clutch in out, bike in gear on center stand.
 
Thread starter
I want to thank CIP57 and HondaJon for slapping me up a bit and making me see the light, Tonight I will be removing that 10w40 from my bike and putting in 10w30.

So strange how initial start up and warm up things sound good then go for a little ride and you get the noise again...

 
dBuster_imp said:
I want to thank CIP57 and HondaJon for slapping me up a bit and making me see the light, Tonight I will be removing that 10w40 from my bike and putting in 10w30.

So strange how initial start up and warm up things sound good then go for a little ride and you get the noise again...

D,
I would change the filter, you never know if there is a partial restriction or the filter sat out in the shop opened for a length of time. They come wrapped in plastic to prevent anything from getting inside. Let the bike run on the center stand not the side stand for at least 5-10 minutes to let the oil cooler oil mix with the new oil. Waiting for a :thumbsup:
 
I agree that the bike is quieter with 10/30 vs. 10/40 from my direct experience. On my first change the shop was out of 10/30 so I put in 10/40. It was noisier so I dumped it for the right weight quickly

Having said that, I cannot believe that terrible hammering noise coming from your bike is due to a minor oil viscosity difference. I sure hope I am wrong and the change fixes it.

BTW: It sucks your dealer service people are lying buffoons. I would contact Honda USA in Cali and let them know how badly they blew it.
 
Dumping the oil tomorrow, I have the day off, the sound is just plain weird. I'll ask my dealer tomorrow why they think they fixed the problem when it still makes the sound. Man if I had found my jets in the bowl I would have flipped! I rebuilt the carbs on the rebel but that was really simple and only 1 carb. As far as Fuel Injection goes, I'm clue less lol all I know is it atomizes fuel with the air to burn lol
 
Back
Top