Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....

I've had no issues wit the 10w 30.

I run the full synthetic because I live in FL and it gets HOT!

The Honda oil is expensive $10.99 a quart. Not sure what your dealer charges, but changing the oil on this bike is a breeze.
 
Fleetwood_imp said:
HondaJon_imp said:
I heard a similar noise after my first oil change to Amsoil 10w40 full synthetic.

Dumped the oil after a quick run and went with Honda HP4S Full Synthetic 10W - 30. NOISE WAS GONE AND HAVE NEVER HEARD IT AGAIN.

My guess is that the oil passages on the CB are very small and specifically designed for 10W-30.
I wonder if my dealer used 10w-30, i says it in the receipt, but they pumped the oil from a 55 gallon drum. So idk what brand, weight, or even long it's sat in the barrel. I think next time I'll just change my own oil.
So the synthetic is pretty good stuff, I thought you couldn't run synthetic with wet clutches?
NOT TRYING TO START AN OIL WAR, just inquiring information for future reference
You can't run low-friction car oil with wet clutches or the additives will make the clutch slip. Synthetic for motorcycles is fine and dandy.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
I heard a similar noise after my first oil change to Amsoil 10w40 full synthetic.

Dumped the oil after a quick run and went with Honda HP4S Full Synthetic 10W - 30. NOISE WAS GONE AND HAVE NEVER HEARD IT AGAIN.

My guess is that the oil passages on the CB are very small and specifically designed for 10W-30.
Thank you Jon, i have been trying to help and get this point across through out this thread. These dealer's use bulk oil because its cost effective. They more than likely use the same oil in there service department regardless of what bike there servicing.
 
My dealer's service manager told me that they use a bulk 10W-40 non-synthetic oil for all oil changes. That's just one reason that I have never had the oil changed by a dealer, either auto or motorcycle. If you want it done right and with the proper oil and filter called for by the manufacturer, do it yourself or buy the components and take them to a trusted mechanic. My CB was delivered with the engine overfilled with oil which I siphoned off to the proper level at home. When I bought my ST1300 in '06, I noticed that it was overfilled with oil and had the dealer drain off the excess oil before I rode the bike home.
 
I am kinda little obsessed with engine sounds too so i changed the oil few times on her last year ... started with the fac recommended gn4 10w30...then amsoil advanced..then honda hp4s full synth....and finally settled with silkolene pro 4 plus fully synthetic 5 w 40..it was the quietest among the above for her... the bike is quiet even after an hour of driving..which was what i was looking for...ps: I dont do high revs on her...
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
HondaJon_imp said:
I heard a similar noise after my first oil change to Amsoil 10w40 full synthetic.

Dumped the oil after a quick run and went with Honda HP4S Full Synthetic 10W - 30. NOISE WAS GONE AND HAVE NEVER HEARD IT AGAIN.

My guess is that the oil passages on the CB are very small and specifically designed for 10W-30.
Thank you Jon, i have been trying to help and get this point across through out this thread. These dealer's use bulk oil because its cost effective. They more than likely use the same oil in there service department regardless of what bike there servicing.
Thank you Jon, i have been trying to help and get this point across through out this thread. These dealer's use bulk oil because its cost effective. They more than likely use the same oil in there service department regardless of what bike there servicing.
Am I missing something here? Both you, CIP57, and Jon, from what I am reading, both did your own first oil change and not the dealership...

You yourself had noise issues after you did the oil change as well as Jon. So what am I missing? That doing your own oil change you will hear noises? And that the dealership uses bulk oil and that is a fact, and it is a fact that has nothing to do with changing your own oil?

Sorry been a long day at work, maybe I am just not reading the English language correctly...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I think I'm just going to change my own oil for now and use synthetic 10w-30. Don't like the idea of not knowing exactly what is going in my engine.
 
Thread starter
Fleetwood_imp said:
I think I'm just going to change my own oil for now and use synthetic 10w-30. Don't like the idea of not knowing exactly what is going in my engine.
Did they fix your bike or figure out what it was? Or are they just writing it off as nothing?

Be careful changing your own oil. There is proof from some here that even changing your own oil you will get noises also.

Maybe that is it. Anytime you change your oil whether at a dealership or by yourself, something is changing and the motor will gripe and complain about it for a while afterwards with strange noises.

That has to be it as that is the only common denominator here, the fact the oil was changed.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I believe the point some are trying to make is that 10w-40 oil (be it non-synthetic or synthetic) has lead to additional engine noise in a number of cases (no pun intended).
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
I believe the point some are trying to make is that 10w-40 oil (be it non-synthetic or synthetic) has lead to additional engine noise in a number of cases (no pun intended).
See, it took a master, guth, to make it clear. No 40 weight oil... Now I understand. Will check on what they used for my first service when I pick it up tomorrow.

I bow to your mastery of clarity!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Why are you guys changing your own oil?

In Britain we have to get the service schedule performed by a Honda agent during the warranty period which is 2 years.
After that it's advisable for resale value to keep using them, however most move to a cheaper independent with lower labour rates.

In Britain the first service is usually free. Or you just pay for the parts.

I intend to change my own oil and filter in between shop services, just because I'm an anally retentive old fart. However I don't get why you guys don't get it free?

Incidentally I had my first service done just prior to collecting the bike. It was 11 months old and 104 demo miles. I'm at 350 odd now and will change it again at 600-700 miles. Is that reasonable? Or should I go longer? Break in shrapnel all that?
 
Here in the US our first service is not free, and although we only get a one year warranty ( which actially turns into an 8 or 9 month warranty if you don't live in the south where its warm all year) as compared to your two year warranty, by law you cannot be denied warranty as long as you can prove the required services are performed by a capable individual. That can be the owner as long as he provides documentation and reciepts.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Here in the US our first service is not free, and although we only get a one year warranty ( which actially turns into an 8 or 9 month warranty if you don't live in the south where its warm all year) as compared to your two year warranty, by law you cannot be denied warranty as long as you can prove the required services are performed by a capable individual. That can be the owner as long as he provides documentation and reciepts.
Thanks Ferret, I can see why you don't pay the 'stealership' now, lol.
 
Thread starter
They used 10w40 on first service. Getting them to oil change and put 10w30 in it now. Maybe not $90 for them to do it. I will do it myself... Ugh

They go by standard jobs and did not check what this bike called for...

Still heard little noise when I went to pick it up... Recommendation if taking it in ensure you request 10w30!!!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
They used 10w40 on first service. Getting them to oil change and put 10w30 in it now. Maybe not $90 for them to do it. I will do it myself... Ugh

They go by standard jobs and did not check what this bike called for...

Still heard little noise when I went to pick it up... Recommendation if taking it in ensure you request 10w30!!!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Was that the problem? 10w40? The service manager at my dealer recommended that I use 10w40 due to our hot summers. Hmmm...
 
My dealership here in San Antonio also recommended 10w40. I'm out of the country or I would be riding. I will post if something happens and I start riding again.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I probably better rethink that, I usually go with the manual, but when a service manager tells you something like that, you would think that it's good advice.

However, to be fair, I used 10w-40 when I did the first oil change. It is still in the bike, and I have not experienced any problems at all, no strange noises, nothing. I do a lot of stop and go, and I rationalized that the 10w40 would be better in those conditions. Next oil change I'm probably going to use 10w30, just to be sure.
 
Thread starter
Jon and CIP both said they had 10w40 for their first service that they did themselves and had noises. My dealership used 10w40 and you hear the noise in my video after warm up. Jon and CIP went back to 10w30 and the noises went away...

The service manual calls for 10w30 for our bike.

Come to your own conclusion whether that was the problem or not. Maybe not all of our 1100's have issues with the 40 weight oil but it sure would seem like some do have issues.
I will be dropping the 40 weight out of my bike and putting the 30 weight in. Just as soon as I find a video on where to do it from or find a manual showing me.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Jon and CIP both said they had 10w40 for their first service that they did themselves and had noises. My dealership used 10w40 and you hear the noise in my video after warm up. Jon and CIP went back to 10w30 and the noises went away...

The service manual calls for 10w30 for our bike.

Come to your own conclusion whether that was the problem or not. Maybe not all of our 1100's have issues with the 40 weight oil but it sure would seem like some do have issues.
I will be dropping the 40 weight out of my bike and putting the 30 weight in. Just as soon as I find a video on where to do it from or find a manual showing me.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
I will let anyone decide what they want in their bike. Changing it is a piece of cake. If you ate just replacing oil you don't even have to drop the oil filter, but it will take less oil to come up to the correct level.

Warm it up, put on center stand, open oil fill, drop oil drain bolt, drain oil, replace drain bolt, add oil to correct fill amount, replace oil fill cap. Done.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=202
 
Back
Top