Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....

Cormanus_imp said:
I have been told overfilling is a very bad idea and that, if you do it, you should drain some out immediately. Does anyone know if that's right? Seems reasonable.
Hi Cormanus, yes you are right. Too much oil can over pressurise the crankcase, causing seals to leak and depending on how shallow the oil pan is, the crank / balance shaft/s could whip the oil up causing the oil rings to work overtime. On a personal note I find the oil level inspection interesting as my Owners handbook says to check the oil level on the centre stand but the workshop manual says "Hold the motorcycle in an upright position" This means no stand and the bike on the wheels. Personally I find the oil level more accurate on the wheels than on the stand. On the stand you may overfill the engine if you just go by the sight glass and not fill the engine with the correct "measured amount". Anyone else care to comment?

Kevin
 
I presume the trick is to get the bike level. If the floor's level, presumably the stand will hold it level, although the bike can move fore and aft. The trouble for me is that I could never hold the bike level off the stand and see the inspection window all at once. What's wrong with dipsticks?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I presume the trick is to get the bike level. If the floor's level, presumably the stand will hold it level, although the bike can move fore and aft. The trouble for me is that I could never hold the bike level off the stand and see the inspection window all at once. What's wrong with dipsticks?
In this picture the location of my Q-5 looks level. Its out about 1/4 of in inch front to back on 4ft for drainage. (same as your garage floor would Be ) If I face the front of the bike toward the backhoe on the center stand no oil shows in the window after motor is warm, turn the bike around 360 and the oil fills the window. That's how sensitive this oil check is. That's why i say when you change your oil with 4 full qts, check it in the same place all the time.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I presume the trick is to get the bike level. If the floor's level, presumably the stand will hold it level, although the bike can move fore and aft. The trouble for me is that I could never hold the bike level off the stand and see the inspection window all at once. What's wrong with dipsticks?
There's a big difference in what the sightglass shows between the bike being level with both tires on the ground, and being on the centerstand.

I don't have the manual in my hand (it's under the bike's seat and I'm not inclined to go look at it) but if the manual does state the bike needs to be on the centerstand then do it that way. Don't hold the bike level on the tires.

Bikes without centerstands usually need to be held level with both wheels on the ground. I use rear stands on all my bikes and cannot check the oil properly when they're up on the rear stand. It reads much lower than normal as the oil flows toward the front of the bike. There is a technique to holding the bike level with one hand whilst bending down to eyeball the sightglass.

My rear stand puts the wheel approximately where my (removed) centerstand would put it, just a bit lower, but sufficient to remove the wheel.
 
Thread starter
My bike was officially picked up about 20 minutes ago. The dealership called and said they found a forum, sounds like our forum, and read of the issues from Jodyz thread. I told them to look for this thread, maybe they will find this one. They did say they tried to find the video from Jodyz thread but couldn't find it. Let's hope it is still around to be shared.

They did say they won't be able to look at it today but will try tomorrow. The do have a 2013 cb1100 on the showroom floor yet to compare to they said.

While I was there though I sat on the new Yamaha stryker, not bad riding posture for me, better than the other bikes I sat on before... Plugged the wife about it... ;)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
My bike was officially picked up about 20 minutes ago. The dealership called and said they found a forum, sounds like our forum, and read of the issues from Jodyz thread. I told them to look for this thread, maybe they will find this one. They did say they tried to find the video from Jodyz thread but couldn't find it. Let's hope it is still around to be shared.

They did say they won't be able to look at it today but will try tomorrow. The do have a 2013 cb1100 on the showroom floor yet to compare to they said.

While I was there though I sat on the new Yamaha stryker, not bad riding posture for me, better than the other bikes I sat on before... Plugged the wife about it... ;)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Anxiously awaiting the diagnosis.

I liked the Stryker too. My wife didn't like the passenger pillion one bit.
 
dBuster_imp said:
My bike was officially picked up about 20 minutes ago. The dealership called and said they found a forum, sounds like our forum, and read of the issues from Jodyz thread. I told them to look for this thread, maybe they will find this one. They did say they tried to find the video from Jodyz thread but couldn't find it. Let's hope it is still around to be shared.

They did say they won't be able to look at it today but will try tomorrow. The do have a 2013 cb1100 on the showroom floor yet to compare to they said.

While I was there though I sat on the new Yamaha stryker, not bad riding posture for me, better than the other bikes I sat on before... Plugged the wife about it... ;)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Dropped my bike off just a bit ago, my dealer said they haven't had many problems with the cb1100, they can't work on it until tomorrow too. They are also going to contact Honda and tell them about the problem to see what they think. Hopefully it's resolved quick! I want to ride! Lol
 
Thread starter
I linked Jodyz thread to this one in case my dealership reads up again. I also reached out to try and get that sound clip and see if I can work some conversion magic and get it posted also.

Regarding the stryker, I ride solo so the passenger pillion is not an issue... That is why she has her own ride. ;)

You know what I didn't see at the dealership... The Vultus...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I changed the oil in mine at 550 miles. I used my bike lift which keeps both wheels on the platform and the bike perfectly vertical. With a new filter, 4 qts of Honda 10W-30 synthetic and warming the motor, the oil level showed about 1/8" below the full mark. With the engine cooled overnight, the oil level is dead even with the full mark when on the centerstand. Good enough for me.
 
Wait just a damn minute here. The dealership is referring to our forum for info on repairing the bike?

Does it bother anybody else that the mime is talking?
 
Thread starter
I don't think they are referring here for repair help but rather research on the issue. They said they checked with mothership Honda and there was nothing so they were trying to find out what ever they could.

Actually I commend them for doing research into this even if it is this forum. ;)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
I don't think they are referring here for repair help but rather research on the issue. They said they checked with mothership Honda and there was nothing so they were trying to find out what ever they could.

Actually I commend them for doing research into this even if it is this forum. ;)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
I agree. In a way it's the ultimate form of listening to the customer.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Wait just a damn minute here. The dealership is referring to our forum for info on repairing the bike?

Does it bother anybody else that the mime is talking?
Marcel Marceau runs around the stage suddenly going "Vroooom, vrooooom!"

Eerie.
 
Last year a guy on the UK board reported a noise similar to what is being reported here. It was on a new bike and was apparently the balancer. An engine teardown resulted and "something" was replaced. The dealer seemed a little vague about it IIRC.

You might search for the thread and maybe get ahold of him and get some info. Just a thought.
 
Thread starter
24 hours now in the shop no word from them. Wonder if they find something and now are trying to figure it out. Or they haven't started working on it yet for fear of what they might be getting into.

I want to call but then again I don't want to pester them... Wonder how long it will be before I hear something... Wonder how far they will go on trying to fix/figure it out? Will they ever get to a point where they say they can't fix it and if so what will they do? All these things running through my mind...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Relax everything can be fixed. A full engine replacement is always an option. I used to day about my farther in law's car. Lift the hood, remove radiator cap, push car out of bay, push new car in, install old radiator cap. Presto fixed!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
They couldn't fix my daughters Charger and Chrysler had to give her a new one. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act....Federal lemon law.
 
Thread starter
I like that take the cb1100 in and leave with a charger!

I know jokes aside, they will do what ever they can I am sure. Just the waiting game.. Almost as tough as waiting to take delivery of a new 2014!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
24 hours now in the shop no word from them. Wonder if they find something and now are trying to figure it out. Or they haven't started working on it yet for fear of what they might be getting into.

I want to call but then again I don't want to pester them... Wonder how long it will be before I hear something... Wonder how far they will go on trying to fix/figure it out? Will they ever get to a point where they say they can't fix it and if so what will they do? All these things running through my mind...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

They probably fired it up and listened to it, turned it off and called their Honda Service rep, who has to in turn call Mother Honda to see if it is a recurring issue or if there is any additional pertinent info, and are waiting for him to return their call with instructions. That's how it usually goes with new models since they have never seen it before. Once yours is fixed, the next time if someone comes in with the same issue they will have seen it before and can jump right in.
 
Back
Top