Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....

dBuster_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I started mentioning this in a different thread but basically I went through pre ride checks, oil is new from recent change with the first service last fall, just pulled out of storage, I let the bike warm up and to me sounds okay.

2013 CB1100 - warm up:

Then after a good 7 to 10 minute warm up in 45 degree weather I take a ride around one city block and this is what it sounds like. Hope you can hear the tick...

2013 CB1100 - after warm up:


It did just have it's first service last fall, new oil and all but the oil looks like it is near the lower reading on the sight glass, when checked while on the center stand. Could it just be low oil? When cold should the sight glass be near the low end or to end? Especially after just having the first servicing done?

Would you take it back to the dealership to have them check the oil since the only miles since servicing was the three miles to get the bike home? Not worry about it and ride it like I stole it and how it writers down, what? I don't have the disposable income to throw away on this, the bike is my daily rider in the spring summer and fall... The car gets parked and not driven.

Then the sound that sounds like I am riding on flat tires but I know I am not as I just filled the tires up to 36 and 42 yesterday... Wonder if dirt between the pads and brake disc might make that sound?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I would not ride it like that. I would have dealer pick it up and determine what is wrong.still under warranty right?
 
I am no mechanic so I can't give you any meaningful advice but I'd be concerned. Sounds like a valve train noise to me and I can definitely hear the difference.

The other sound you mentioned might be flat spots on the tires from sitting but that engine sound isn't right.

I can't understand why it would start and NOT make a valve noise and then later after being run for a while it would START. The other way around would make some sense.

I certainly wouldn't run the bike until you get more expert advice. GOOD LUCK.
 
What Ferret said.

Straight to the dealer.

Something is wrong. I wouldn't mess around with this.

P.S. (Oil level should be between the lines).
 
dBuster_imp said:
I started mentioning this in a different thread but basically I went through pre ride checks, oil is new from recent change with the first service last fall, just pulled out of storage, I let the bike warm up and to me sounds okay.

2013 CB1100 - warm up:

Then after a good 7 to 10 minute warm up in 45 degree weather I take a ride around one city block and this is what it sounds like. Hope you can hear the tick...

2013 CB1100 - after warm up:


It did just have it's first service last fall, new oil and all but the oil looks like it is near the lower reading on the sight glass, when checked while on the center stand. Could it just be low oil? When cold should the sight glass be near the low end or to end? Especially after just having the first servicing done?

Would you take it back to the dealership to have them check the oil since the only miles since servicing was the three miles to get the bike home? Not worry about it and ride it like I stole it and how it writers down, what? I don't have the disposable income to throw away on this, the bike is my daily rider in the spring summer and fall... The car gets parked and not driven.

Then the sound that sounds like I am riding on flat tires but I know I am not as I just filled the tires up to 36 and 42 yesterday... Wonder if dirt between the pads and brake disc might make that sound?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
I have the same noise! I just had my first service done too. It didn't do that before the service. It's like there's something loose or a golf ball in the crankcase.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I would not ride it like that. I would have dealer pick it up and determine what is wrong.still under warranty right?
Agree. Certainly not a heartening bit of news. Don't know but I think winter layups and whatnot aren't good for machines. I've said it before but I ride the piss out of mine, it sees redline every time I ride it. As of the last time out it purred like a sewing machine, which is the way I like it.
 
Thread starter
I was afraid of that.... I am off of work Tuesday when they open again... Will drive up there to talk to them.

Time to take the tank bag off again...

What is the standard warranty again? I am drawing a blank at the moment.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Sorry guys I just can't stay away.

1. You read your oil level with engine warm and off, letting oil settle for a couple minutes. Bike on center stand if I remember right. When cold it might fill up the whole window so check warm.

2. That rattle low in the crankcase can be the balancer shaft gears. That funny spline shaft with the little arm on it that doesn't seem to do anything adjusts it. Too loose and it rattles.....too tight and the gears whine. You can use a piece of hose like a stethoscope to pinpoint the sound.... If its head valves or down low.

3. Its up to the dealer to fix this under warranty I think, although it might be just an adjustment which they might have set(incorrectly) at servicing. I think you need experience to do it properly.
 
Thread starter
The oil was checked when warm... AND on the center stand.

I agree it will be the dealership to fix it!

Wonder if they will give me a loaner? A new 2014 as a loaner! One can hope...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
It was fine on the way home from service. I did have my helmet on for the trip home maybe I didn't notice it...

Frustrating it is not being able to ride now.. I just hope it is something easy for them to fix.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
balancer shaft gear lash needs to be tightened up a tad. let the dealer make the adjustment so he will recognize it next time. you notice that slight throttle makes the noise go away, the balancer drive and driven gears are now loaded and not able to chatter back and forth at idle.
Paul.
 
D,
I hate bringing anything to the dealer. If it was my bike, i would pick up a new Honda filter and Honda 10-30 ( not 40) syn. oil. Put in 4 full qts. Warm the bike up until it reaches its normal idle on the center stand. If you still have the rap bring it in. When i put 5-40 in my bike at the first oil change i had that lower end rap. Who knows what kind of oil the dealer put in your bike.

Does not look like your bike was on the center stand but you should see oil on the bottom level line when running with 4 full qts. i don't see anything. After a fresh oil change put your bike on the center stand in a area where you always check your oil. confirm that reading and work off that during oil checks. This bike is very hard to get a true reading.
 
Thread starter
When I took those videos the bike was on the side stand. When it is on the center stand you do see oil at the bottom of the sight glass level mark. It is super clean oil and is difficult to see. Maybe I should have done the videos with the center stand but that is hind sight.

As far as the dealership, we have to trust someone. The bike is under warranty so they mess it up they get it fixed. Now my xs850 wouldn't be serviced there, after all it is 34 years old, older than the kids working the service department...

I keep running through my head the worst but I am hoping for the best. Being an American Legion Rider, part of membership you must have a bike to do the fund raising rides... Hopefully I get it fixed before the first ride...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
vfrpaul98_imp said:
balancer shaft gear lash needs to be tightened up a tad. let the dealer make the adjustment so he will recognize it next time. you notice that slight throttle makes the noise go away, the balancer drive and driven gears are now loaded and not able to chatter back and forth at idle.
Paul.
please ask the dealer to accurately check the engine idle rpm cold and hot to verify it is within factory spec 1100 rpm+/-100rpm. low idle rpm can cause this gear chatter noise.
this test cannot be done by reading the bikes factory tach. it must be checked using an electronic tach accurate to 50 rpm or the HONDA HDS TOOL or HONDA'S DR.H laptop diagnostic system. a good dealer will have either.
Paul.
 
vfrpaul98_imp said:
vfrpaul98_imp said:
balancer shaft gear lash needs to be tightened up a tad. let the dealer make the adjustment so he will recognize it next time. you notice that slight throttle makes the noise go away, the balancer drive and driven gears are now loaded and not able to chatter back and forth at idle.
Paul.
please ask the dealer to accurately check the engine idle rpm cold and hot to verify it is within factory spec 1100 rpm+/-100rpm. low idle rpm can cause this gear chatter noise.
this test cannot be done by reading the bikes factory tach. it must be checked using an electronic tach accurate to 50 rpm or the HONDA HDS TOOL or HONDA'S DR.H laptop diagnostic system. a good dealer will have either.
Paul.
please ask the dealer to accurately check the engine idle rpm cold and hot to verify it is within factory spec 1100 rpm+/-100rpm. low idle rpm can cause this gear chatter noise.
this test cannot be done by reading the bikes factory tach. it must be checked using an electronic tach accurate to 50 rpm or the HONDA HDS TOOL or HONDA'S DR.H laptop diagnostic system. a good dealer will have either.
Paul. Follow Paul's advice. BTW the KLR650 has a very similar issue, involving a part everyone has elected to call the "doohickey". Sounds like something is rattling to pieces, it's just the balancer adjustment out of whack.

Kasyno Online BLIK 2026 - Szybkie i Bezpieczne Wpłaty
 
Back
Top