Getting older and buying a new CB1100

Im 71 and recently bought my CB1100 ex, and would 100% recommend it if you like a bike that has its own character, exhibts some top quality engineering and finish and you are the type that is proud of the bike you ride (also read into that likes keeping it clean and shiny)
Weight was the only thing that concerned me, once rolling you dont notice it, bike is basically lower in its centre of gravity unlike many bikes. Just be careful around things like putting the bike onto its side stand, trying to move it backwards etc whilst sitting on the bike, same rules apply to any bike really, but you notice it more as you mature and leg strength etc falls off.
Our roads here in New Zealand are a lot more twisty that what you appear to ride on in America, the CB1100 is more than capable of keeping up with moderately ridden adventure, sports and touring bikes I ride with.
I have added a line of pre load to the front and rear suspension from stock settings, not sure if I like the front the one notch harder given the bumpy nature of our roads.
Go buy it, worst that can happen is you decide to onsell and Im sure there are plenty of eager buyers out there for that!
 
Frulk_imp said:
As I was reading Rogers reply this cued up in the back of my mind..

Thanks, Frulk...now that song will be going through my brain for the next 84 hours.
 
I started with a 1969 Honda CB350 brought back from Japan by a San Diego sailor aboard a carrier in that very same year (carriers had the room). This year and 13 motorcycles later I tried to find another ‘69 CB350 but during that search came across a pristine pre-owned 2017 CB1100EX that I acquired. It’s so good I ride it everyday; about 30-50 miles just to keep the blood pressure down. I mention these things in response to your post because I’m 74 yr. old and I’m quite sure the best G rated curatives I’ve ever known are music and motorcycles - the more of those two Rx you take the better you feel about everything. I’m very grateful to be riding at my age and doing so on a truly great machine.
 
Welcome to the forum, Avohill. If it doesn’t already have them, your bike will need RLETs.
 
Welcome Avohill!

In 1977 I bought a Yamaha XS750 and brought it home on the USS Constellation. Once in San Diego (North Island). It was offloaded and we put it on a C-9 aircraft and flew home to Norfolk (our squadrons base). Thats the simplified story. It turned out to be a lot more complex in my case.

Anyway, the bikes were loaded on the boat in Yokosuka and put in one of the Hangar bays. After we pulled out, the customs inspectors flew onboard and checked all the bikes VINs to ensure they were US legal. Then they were put somewhere down in a hold til we got the San Diego.

We were told we were the last that were allowed to do that. But that was then. Maybe times have changed. The guys who had been over there during the Vietnam years said you could buy a bike at the Navy Exchange for $1 per CC. Don’t know if that is true.

We also brought back a TON of stereo gear. Bought almost all of it at the Navy Exchange in Olongapo in the PI. Our squadron had enough to fill at least 3 tri-wall containers and that all got on a C-9 back to Norfolk too. Fun times!
 
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Popgun.
I was stationed at Clark AFB 67-69.
405 fighter Wing had detachments in Udorn and Danang, so I had a couple TDYs.
Fantastic Base Exchange.
At that time the Akia1800 SD was very popular, reel to reel with ability to transfer to 8-track!
Did not buy one but I mailed home a lot of Panasonic to family and bought 28 Seiko watches! Prices ranged from $10.75 to about $28. I think the pilot chronometer I sent my dad was 30 something.
Wife still has the Mikimoto pearls I bought her there. Kids and grandkids now have the knife collection made in beluga barrio (negrito Village).

Not exactly a motorcycle related post but I bought #3 when I returned home!
 
I hit 67 this weekend and I rode the DLX a whopping 62 miles to the doctor & back. I do not feel all my age yet, but today my right foot hurt. Not sure why, but about to soak it in very hot water and rub the pain out. I think most of us over 50 or 60 start to feel the signs of the journey we all must take. I am going to ride , quite simply until I cannot. Not drop the bike, cannot hold it up blues, but just until I do not enjoy it any more. Will that ever happen? Don't know which will come first,................
But hey I may just go out and buy a 350 Meteor, in bright Yellow!
peterbaron_imp said:
To have the job done right and for piece of mind, replace big fuel pump ass-y base rubber gasket/#7, fuel line dumper/#3 & retainer/#11.
Torque M6 nuts to specs/9 ft-lb.
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c29f870021404ec5a79/fuel-tank-fuel-pump

Prior tank removal:
* while idling, disconnect 4 pin black fuel pump connector and let the engine die, crank 1-2 times, ignition OFF. This will remove fuel pressure from the fuel line
* M8 bolt out
* lift the gas tank up and disconnect its rubber breather hose, very sure it will be stuck, so spry WD40 or similar and crack it loose by twisting, then disconnect it
* insert 2x4 between your tank and frame to gain more room while disconnecting the fuel line
aa317e388a25c860cd53f1211f6a3e63.jpg


* after reassembling and reconnecting everything back, turn ignition ON/OFF a couple of times to prime the fuel system, then fire her up at the first shot. While idling, observe any fuel leaks.
Wish I had a few of you guys here to help me. I rode the DLX 62 miles today, but the new tank is not on yet. The weather is cooling, highs in the mid 80F, and nights in the upper 50'sF. The right headers and muffler go this weekend. The ones on the bike are not terribly bad, but I had the $$ from retiring, so the DLX is getting the TREATMENT! It was the right side that had most of the damage from the tarp being blown off & up, according to the owner. This will be easy compared to the gas tank, but I did go back after reading what you guys said, and bought a new fuel pump gasket, and all new screws, and replaced all the other small parts from the micro-fish for the gas tank area, even all the rubber parts I am sure are stiff. She will look new, and I cannot wait to share pictures. I even had to replace the rubber bases around the mirrors! If I am brave enough, I will even share how much $$ I sunk into her. I already know I am going to get reamed for such a cost, but the extra money from going back to work has made it all possible. This is my main hobby/life enjoyment now, so what the heck.........
 
Michael, your right foot will be just fine by Saturday....and very soon your DLX in perfect condition :thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Michael, your right foot will be just fine by Saturday....and very soon your DLX in perfect condition :thumbsup:
Thanks! You guys are more than just good information...Wish I did not live at the bottom of the USA.
 
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
 
Beerman_imp said:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
Thanks!
 
We all age differently, but sometimes injuries make us feel even older. I was 80 when I got my 2013 last summer, but today I turn 81. I went for a nice ride yesterday and will again when I feel like it. I have as much fun working on the bike and looking at it as I do riding it, but I do love this bike. Do what you love.
 
Many happy returns, Nachodaddy. :beerchug:
 
May be wrong, but I think you are holding the record here on the forum. Or did anybody buy his CB1100 (new or used) at age 81 or older ?

Nachodaddy_imp said:
We all age differently, but sometimes injuries make us feel even older. I was 80 when I got my 2013 last summer, but today I turn 81. I went for a nice ride yesterday and will again when I feel like it. I have as much fun working on the bike and looking at it as I do riding it, but I do love this bike. Do what you love.
 
Back
Top