Getting older and buying a new CB1100

Every one here has given good advice age isn't a factor ( turning 65 shortly ) buy the bike and ride it as much as you feel comfortable.:biker:

Kevin
 
Uscgmax... That is impressive about your 81 year old buddy thats nearly 34,000 miles a year. That, is a lot of saddle time.
 
Age is an attitude unless you let the body go to you know where. Or if if went there on its' own.

Life is short. don't have any regrets.
 
I just received the August 2016 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (digitally) today. It has a two-page article "The Rest of the Ride: Growing Older" by David Hough. It's a great read and presents exactly what we're discussing in this thread. How timely!

"At age 50 you might swear you'll never stop riding, but at age 60 or 70 you might find your priorities changing."

The article states the mean (average) age of motorcyclists in 2016 is 58 years old, up from 49 years old in 2010 and 38 years old in 2000. That's many of us, give or take.

Edit: I just flipped to the inside back cover, and there's Fred Rau, talking about physical fitness and the changes he and his wife have made to improve their health and extend their ability to continue riding. Huh.
 
I was at the Honda shop Monday and met a 73 year old who told me his riding career was over. He had just dropped off his Silverwing scooter for consignment sale and saw me looking at it. He wasn't exactly happy, but said it was time for him. He did tell me some pretty good ride stories and tried to sell me the scooter. :)
 
Great thread!

I'm 54 and only been riding for 5 yrs but it's in my blood now. If someday I start to worry about the crazy people on the roads I will switch to trail riding but there's something about being on a motorcycle that I can't fathom ever being without. I don't see myself ever giving it up.

As others have said; Beemer don't give in to the age thing, go for it, you won't regret it.
 
Guzzi rider (but spent most of his later years on a Goldwing) JN Smyth rode until he was 91. George is a mad man touring at 81 - on bikes you would not consider tour bikes: Moto Guzzi Griso and V7. No windscreens. It seems the average age of Guzzi riders are older than the folks here.
 
Great thread ! I feel younger reading it (61). If I ever get out of this auto service waiting room (wore the brakes out on the car towing motorcycles around) I'm going for a ride !
 
Good morning Beemer guy, If you're reading this, we both woke up this morning to a brand new day! Sure, the body parts are wearing, but we all have a choice. We can either take action or just let things be the same. It's that 6 letter word "change." Not to toot my horn, but I've got 11 years on you and just picked up my pre owned Cb1100. I found it in Scottsdale, Az. and I drove it home to Portland, Oregon over a period of 4 days! A great road trip to see the sights and I had no time frame. Crazy huh? You just seize those moments in life to feel engaged and appreciate how you've been blessed. Just think of all the people in the world that have less than you (both income wise and how they live) and they are quite content. So, I hope you find that Cb like I did to just admire in your garage or putt around your neighborhood. Joining this forum is the best thing you did and sharing part of your story and reaching out to us just shows you can do a lot of things ahead of you in this season of life. Russ:biker:
 
Thread starter
Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughtful (and helpful) comments.

I'm starting a new thread on the joy that is motorcycle shopping. Sarcasm alert.
 
I'm 31 here, spent my first two years on a Ninja 500R, then seven years as a sportbiker on a Ninja 636.

Choosing the CB1100 was a no-brainer. Retro looks, Honda quality, modern amenities, & UJM flexibility. I couldn't find a bike that came close to that (XSR900, maybe?). Took the plunge and I love it. The bike is a head turner, and I get plenty of nods and questions from an older generation.

Do I occasionally miss getting low on the 636? Yeah. We had some great track days and the Green Machine was a lot of fun. But it was (comparatively) uncomfortable, lacked around-town torque, had sparse passenger accommodations, and was reaching some big maintenance milestones.

I wanted something different, and it kicks butt. :)
 
I'm 67, been riding since 16. Have no plans to stop ;) Probably put about 12k a year total on 2 bikes.
Round trip ride to the mountains a couple times a year, ride a couple hundred miles almost every Sunday with friends.
Ride as much as you want and enjoy ;)
 
Beemer Guy_imp said:
Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughtful (and helpful) comments.

I'm starting a new thread on the joy that is motorcycle shopping. Sarcasm alert.
My wife would call this behavior "If you give a mouse a cookie". Happens a lot here

Ha ! That's already going on in the R9T Brushed Aluminum thread
 
Beemer Guy....I don't know what prices you've got but I have a couple for you. Southern Powersports in Chattanooga Tennessee has a brand new Red 2013 for $7852 plus tax and license and a brand new Black 2014 for $8180 plus tax and license. You would have to physically sign the paperwork at the dealership per American Honda policy. There are no other fees added to their prices! Good luck, Randy. (I absolutely LOVE mine)
 
Beemer Guy_imp said:
Last year I started this thread which stiffened my resolve to buy the CB. I made a deal for a leftover 2013 locally, and then I got cold feet. I don't remember why, exactly, but I decided not to do it. That was September, I think.

I noticed in a recent poll here that the typical forum member is, um, of a senior persuasion. :rolleyes: I just turned 55.

I've been riding bikes since I was 19 (CB350) and then a CB400 and I sold it to buy my first house and then a break of several years followed by a Kawasaki and then I got into Beemers. I quit riding a couple of years ago, largely because of tendonitis but also because I was just nervous a lot, riding in town with the morons on their phones or out in the boonies with Bambi just waiting to rush out and kill me. I hit her once (but stayed up). After that event, I bought a Porsche 911. But that's a different story.

I'm starting to feel my age now, my knees hurt, my stamina is down, every year that goes by it seems that I have more trouble getting a good night's sleep and don't even ask about my bowels. I'm not here to complain or to get sympathy, I'm just sayin' that I'm getting older and my mortality is more evident to me. I see my father-in-law, angry at the world because his body is failing (86) as is his memory and he knows that he doesn't have much longer here, and he certainly is not enjoying himself most of the time. Debbie downer.

So I thought, why not get the motorcycle? The CB1100 appeals to me because of its retro looks, the riding position, and it's not very expensive. And it's no heavier than the BMWs that I rode, but appears to be a bit smaller and easier to tuck into the side of the garage.

I don't have to ride it every weekend, right? I don't even need to ride it once a month, if I don't feel like it. I can roll it out and ride it around the block long enough to warm up the oil and have an excuse to wash it, right? I don't have to do the Easy Rider journey across the southwest, or the Iron Butt rally to prove that I'm not a poseur. Those days are behind me, and there's nothing wrong with putt-putting down the street at 35 MPH like a geezer with my left turn signal blinking the whole time.

Thoughts?

"Not even".

I'm 63 this September. I'm like you. If it's too friggen hot then she stays in for the weekend just like me. If it's nice, I'll ride till my butt starts hurting and then I'll bring her in. I started riding again after many years and six months after a bypass operation and had to work up and then work out several days a week to build up that strength. In my case, I bought my bike new and a few days after delivery I had to have that bypass and then had to just polish it in the garage through a winter and early spring before I could even ride my new bike, what a crazy winter that was.

I do enjoy the riding and I think riding regularly helps keep me healthy in body and mind as strange as that might seem.

Well wishes.
 
Nemo_imp said:
I can't relate to all your old people dilemmas because at 51 I'm way, way younger than you. But you should've been to our CB1100 rally... Talk about OLD PEOPLE!

There's this guy they call The Ferret and he's been riding motorbikes since the motors were steam powered. Then there's Redbirds; he had to carve the wheels of his first bike out of Georgia's Red Top Mountain boulders. The Powerdogg grew up distilling his own fuel for his Triumph Model H, but he used to drink half of it so he never went too far. Finally, although they weren't here this year and I didn't meet them, I hear the combined age of the Aussies has to be measured using Carbon-14.

:D

I tell ya'... Get off the lazy-boy, hang up the fluffy slippers, get your gear on, get on the bike and (at your pace) RIDE THE S=1T OUT OF IT!

DO NOT GO GENTLE! See you at Eureka Springs!

:cool:

P.S. Check THIS out!

I am bringing up Beemer Guy's post from 2016 and Nemo wonderfull reply once more. His "check this out" link was easily overlooked back then, the video more than worth watching. And since we are all 5 years older than we were in 2016, it's all the more fun to watch. Enjoy !
 
Back
Top