Getting older and buying a new CB1100

Wow fun reading the old names of friends come and gone on this forum
 
It was very nice seeing this thread appear again. Five years later and I'm still riding at 71. Yesterday the sun was out and blue skies. Geared up and took the CB out for a spin. I have a Delkevic slip on so the CB has a healthy exhaust note without being too loud. I still enjoy the "fun factor" every time I twist the grip and feel the pull of the motor. With 1100cc's between your legs, the CB is always an enjoyable bike to ride. For me these days, it's the quality of each ride and the thrill I still feel when doing it. That sensation never gets "old."
 
Oh yea, seen it many times. Very inspirational
 
This post brought back some fond memories, thanks ferret. I will turn 73 in two months. Not on my CB1100 anymore but plan to put many miles on the NC750X if it will just stop raining. The dirt road that fronts my home is a bit muddy.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey redbirds: In summary, how is the NC750X working for you?
I'm very pleased with it. Not handsome like the CB but in a few ways superior. Handling is very good, predictable, accurate turn in. Needs better tires to bring out it's real potential I think; Michelin Pilot Road 4's will replace the stock rubber. Brakes were a nice surprise, better than I thought they'd be considering the single disc front. I find the seat comfortable for long rides but the suspension belies it's lower grade origins on rough roads. The motor has a relaxed feel even at 80 mph and never feels like it's breathing hard. Weight and the perception of same is it's strongest asset; It feels as though it's 50 lbs lighter than it is and this I think from the lower positioned cylinders and fuel placed under the seat. Fuel capacity is not great but 70+ mpg average it's good enough. Last of all, the "frunk", I love this convenience so much I can't imagine not having it now.

af991b3d725cc1a8416eaf6b7183e233.JPG
 
redbirds_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey redbirds: In summary, how is the NC750X working for you?
I'm very pleased with it. Not handsome like the CB but in a few ways superior. Handling is very good, predictable, accurate turn in. Needs better tires to bring out it's real potential I think; Michelin Pilot Road 4's will replace the stock rubber. Brakes were a nice surprise, better than I thought they'd be considering the single disc front. I find the seat comfortable for long rides but the suspension belies it's lower grade origins on rough roads. The motor has a relaxed feel even at 80 mph and never feels like it's breathing hard. Weight and the perception of same is it's strongest asset; It feels as though it's 50 lbs lighter than it is and this I think from the lower positioned cylinders and fuel placed under the seat. Fuel capacity is not great but 70+ mpg average it's good enough. Last of all, the "frunk", I love this convenience so much I can't imagine not having it now.

af991b3d725cc1a8416eaf6b7183e233.JPG
I'm very pleased with it. Not handsome like the CB but in a few ways superior. Handling is very good, predictable, accurate turn in. Needs better tires to bring out it's real potential I think; Michelin Pilot Road 4's will replace the stock rubber. Brakes were a nice surprise, better than I thought they'd be considering the single disc front. I find the seat comfortable for long rides but the suspension belies it's lower grade origins on rough roads. The motor has a relaxed feel even at 80 mph and never feels like it's breathing hard. Weight and the perception of same is it's strongest asset; It feels as though it's 50 lbs lighter than it is and this I think from the lower positioned cylinders and fuel placed under the seat. Fuel capacity is not great but 70+ mpg average it's good enough. Last of all, the "frunk", I love this convenience so much I can't imagine not having it now.

0ed085b62b67da29243552cba81652d6.JPG

Excellent.

Pretty well my experience, although I thought my brakes were much softer than I preferred - especially compared to the CB.

RE looks: Yep. Pretty utilitarian, but easy to keep clean!

RE Frunk: Definitely miss it.

RE OEM tires: The Dunlops I had were incredibly poor.

RE fuel economy: It is incredibly good - yes!

I found I could wring the bike and it "tolerated it" without complaint, however, I used mostly S1 Mode / Manual Mode.
 
The CB makes a great stable bike. I usually ride older Guzzis so for me just getting on a bike, starting it and going without a single worry can be a luxury.
My CB can seem a little boring but I'm grateful it is. It starts every time, it's light (compared to my Valkyrie) and it's pretty darn quick when you need it to be.

The CB1100 is a great bike. Not perfect but great. But after a few "tweaks" you can make this thing pretty dang snotty. AND SUPER FUN:cool:
 
Hi Forum Folks..I could not find where to make this post, but after reading several of the replies, I think this was the best place.....
I just returned to work last week! After being an educator for 34 years, Covid scared me out last year and I retired... Got both vaccinations this Spring, and my doctor said I looked like I needed to go back to work. The kids in our nation got a terrible year of so-called teaching and learning last year with the distance learning, packets and not much else.
Got a call two weeks ago from a larger High School with a good reputation for college-prep. They called me up, woke me up, and asked if I would be willing to go back and help kids. I had this feeling for a week already I was missing something. Working on the DLX and GS1100 has been a little slower than I planned, but the heat has been horrendous in South Texas.
I thought about it for about 30 seconds, and said yes.
Then the man said there was a $7500 sign on Bonus too! I am so glad I did not know about the Bonus because I know it was not a factor, but hey, who is going to turn down money.
So all of you guys say a prayer for me and the kids that we stay healthy and have a successful and normal school year so they can go to college with an excellent background in Chemistry that I am going to try my best to give them this year!
 
michael1954_imp said:
Hi Forum Folks..I could not find where to make this post, but after reading several of the replies, I think this was the best place.....
I just returned to work last week! After being an educator for 34 years, Covid scared me out last year and I retired... Got both vaccinations this Spring, and my doctor said I looked like I needed to go back to work. The kids in our nation got a terrible year of so-called teaching and learning last year with the distance learning, packets and not much else.
Got a call two weeks ago from a larger High School with a good reputation for college-prep. They called me up, woke me up, and asked if I would be willing to go back and help kids. I had this feeling for a week already I was missing something. Working on the DLX and GS1100 has been a little slower than I planned, but the heat has been horrendous in South Texas.
I thought about it for about 30 seconds, and said yes.
Then the man said there was a $7500 sign on Bonus too! I am so glad I did not know about the Bonus because I know it was not a factor, but hey, who is going to turn down money.
So all of you guys say a prayer for me and the kids that we stay healthy and have a successful and normal school year so they can go to college with an excellent background in Chemistry that I am going to try my best to give them this year!
Good for you, Michael! I've had many high school and college teachers, and the handful that I remember, the classes that really stuck, had teachers with fire in them.
 
Yep. Good for you, Michael.
 
Guth_imp said:
At 54 years of age I ride because I still enjoy doing so (and because physically I still can). If I find that I no longer enjoy riding, or am unable to safely do so (due to declining eyesight, etc.) then I simply won't ride any longer. Jeez, I was still riding skateboards from time to time well into my 40s, lol.

Bottom line: Follow your gut — that's far more important than any words I might have to share.
And do you see a reason why you can’t get back on your skateboard, and I can’t learn skateboarding (at 60) after we both exercised balance and skills during years on the CB ? No joking, I think I will give it a try this summer.
Rboe_imp said:
Age is an attitude unless you let the body go to you know where. Or if if went there on its' own.

Life is short. don't have any regrets.
Age is only an attitude if you have been lucky (health wise) for most of the time you spend on this globe. You can let it decay from healthy to sick by bad behavior (or attitude, if you like). But if your genes, proteins and structures got a bad start, or a bad intermezzo, no attitude in the world can help. This said, and this is were I agree with you all, make the best of it. And here riding a m/c can indeed make a difference.
 
Back
Top