Getting my CBR300R back....for now...?

Buzzard Biker_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
28th November last year I bought a 2nd bike.
A 2016 CBR300R in black with less than 800 miles from new. 3 month warranty was offered.

Bike delivered.
I set out for a ride and stopped off at my local Honda Dealer to discuss something about a previous bike.
I left and got on the CBR. Not starting. Turning over then starting and then cutting out. It would only stay running by holding the throttle open.

I thought dirty fuel maybe the culprit so I brimmed it and set off home. Same symptoms.

I called the dealer and they were shocked and said to get the 'AA' (recovery service) out to inspect. No joy at all so I dropped it back at my local Honda dealer seeing as the selling dealer was based 80 miles away.

A week later, they collected the bike and provided me a courtesy bike.

5 days later I had the CBR back again and was told the fault lied with the exhaust valves which were sticking open. They also said the sensor on the side of the bike behind the panels was very dirty and so they cleaned it up.

So I had the bike for 2 weeks and noticed one day it just cut out at a junction on my way home.
So I called the selling dealer again and told them. They said to bring the bike back and they would check again. However I said I will try again and see what happens.
Anyway, nothing happened for the next few rides.
Then it started cutting out again. Mainly when stationary and once it was warmed up.
So I called again and said they need to come and collect it again.

12 days later, they finally collected it.
I'd been reading up on possible symptoms and on the CBR300R forum I noticed a guy from Oz, had suffered the same stalling when warm fault.
His biked was checked and finally they located the fault after replacing the fuel filter, then the spark plug and finally the ignition coil.
I passed this info onto the dealer who had my bike in.

Turns out, it was the ignition coil as they tested it off the bike.
Hopefully they have rectified the issues.

I did say to them that I wasn't accepting the bike back until they were 100% convinced it was all fixed. So they are going to complete some extensive tests for my peace of mind.

I said I wanted extra warranty too seeing as I'd lost half of it with all the time lost. They agreed.

I'm hoping to get my bike back sometime next week.

I know Honda's are generally extremely reliable but sometimes these things happen. The guy made me chuckle when he said that 'Honda's are usually very reliable'.

I didn't tell them how many Honda's I'd owned in the past amongst all my other bikes.

Anyway...thought I'd share this little story.
Can't wait to get back on it. It's a cracking little bike. :cool:
 
Where is that Cool Starry Bra meme when you need it? :)

Actually it is a cool story. Glad you got it sorted out. Wish I had one of those 300s!
 
Hope it comes back running like a top. I like those bikes. On my last job, a daily commuter on a 300 travelling in the opposite direction on the long winding road always passed me. He ran like clockwork, so I could always judge how late I was running by the point along the road that we'd wave at each other as we passed. Saw that bike every day for four years. His must not have had the same issues...
 
I have a 2012 CBR250R, very similar engine with a shorter stroke. I've never experienced anything like what you're describing.

It's certainly possible that the bad ignition coil they found on your bike was defective from the original supplier to Honda.
 
Buzzard Biker_imp said:
28th November last year I bought a 2nd bike.
A 2016 CBR300R in black with less than 800 miles from new. 3 month warranty was offered.

Bike delivered.
I set out for a ride and stopped off at my local Honda Dealer to discuss something about a previous bike.
I left and got on the CBR. Not starting. Turning over then starting and then cutting out. It would only stay running by holding the throttle open.

I thought dirty fuel maybe the culprit so I brimmed it and set off home. Same symptoms.

I called the dealer and they were shocked and said to get the 'AA' (recovery service) out to inspect. No joy at all so I dropped it back at my local Honda dealer seeing as the selling dealer was based 80 miles away.

A week later, they collected the bike and provided me a courtesy bike.

5 days later I had the CBR back again and was told the fault lied with the exhaust valves which were sticking open. They also said the sensor on the side of the bike behind the panels was very dirty and so they cleaned it up.

So I had the bike for 2 weeks and noticed one day it just cut out at a junction on my way home.
So I called the selling dealer again and told them. They said to bring the bike back and they would check again. However I said I will try again and see what happens.
Anyway, nothing happened for the next few rides.
Then it started cutting out again. Mainly when stationary and once it was warmed up.
So I called again and said they need to come and collect it again.

12 days later, they finally collected it.
I'd been reading up on possible symptoms and on the CBR300R forum I noticed a guy from Oz, had suffered the same stalling when warm fault.
His biked was checked and finally they located the fault after replacing the fuel filter, then the spark plug and finally the ignition coil.
I passed this info onto the dealer who had my bike in.

Turns out, it was the ignition coil as they tested it off the bike.
Hopefully they have rectified the issues.

I did say to them that I wasn't accepting the bike back until they were 100% convinced it was all fixed. So they are going to complete some extensive tests for my peace of mind.

I said I wanted extra warranty too seeing as I'd lost half of it with all the time lost. They agreed.

I'm hoping to get my bike back sometime next week.

I know Honda's are generally extremely reliable but sometimes these things happen. The guy made me chuckle when he said that 'Honda's are usually very reliable'.

I didn't tell them how many Honda's I'd owned in the past amongst all my other bikes.

Anyway...thought I'd share this little story.
Can't wait to get back on it. It's a cracking little bike. :cool:
This is a single piston engine with 2 exhaust valves+++
I do not believe in any of "the exhaust valves which were sticking open" theory, as stated by Honda..if these were, most likely you would have them bent...
Would be eager to learn how they resolved this "sticky valves" issue, ask them please????
Ignition coil intermittent, yes , very possible...+++
Good luck with your CBR and have a trouble free trips.
 
[/QUOTE]

This is a single piston engine with 2 exhaust valves+++
I do not believe in any of "the exhaust valves which were sticking open" theory, as stated by Honda..if these were, most likely you would have them bent...
Would be eager to learn how they resolved this "sticky valves" issue, ask them please????
Ignition coil intermittent, yes , very possible...+++
Good luck with your CBR and have a trouble free trips.
[/QUOTE]

The shop may have meant the valve clearances were set too tight and closed up when warm, leaving a valve or two open.
 
Thread starter

This is a single piston engine with 2 exhaust valves+++
I do not believe in any of "the exhaust valves which were sticking open" theory, as stated by Honda..if these were, most likely you would have them bent...
Would be eager to learn how they resolved this "sticky valves" issue, ask them please????
Ignition coil intermittent, yes , very possible...+++
Good luck with your CBR and have a trouble free trips.
[/QUOTE]

The shop may have meant the valve clearances were set too tight and closed up when warm, leaving a valve or two open.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I omitted that detail in my first post. The valve clearances weren’t correct on the exhaust side. So they replaced shims and got them within tolerance.
 
Thread starter
Stuff happens and I appreciate that. I work at Mercedes-Benz and some of my colleagues have had expensive company cars go wrong with all manner of problems.

The dealer has just called me to say the bike is fixed and has now been fully tested and is ready to return to me next Thursday.
They have apologised and have have agreed to extend the warranty and they said I have been really patient and understanding so it helps them.

Hopefully I will now have many trouble free smiles of riding.

Get the CBR back in the 23rd and then the CB1100 on the 3rd Feb. Plus a weeks holiday to look forward to at the end of Jan. I’ll take that!
 
Definitely sounds like a coil to me. My Bonnie did the same thing. Once it's warm, intermittent running then die and no start until cool.

My 15 CBR is a blast I just wish the front end wasn't so dang soft.
 
Thread starter
If the same symptoms arise in the future I would know where to start at least.
Should be all ok.
Sometimes, component issues from suppliers have a bad batch and these things crop up.
 
max_imp said:
Maybe ask for the old coil and compare them with a multimeter later?
Yeah, would have been a good idea.

I once had a component fail in a vehicle (after 160000 kms) that when it froze (-5C), it failed. The cage would not start. Dealership wanted $500 to replace it.
 
Thread starter
So today the Honda dealer brought my bike to me at work. Great.
Bike gets wheeled out of the van and I notice how dirty it is.
Anyway, I sign the new warranty form as they have agreed to start my 3
Months warranty from today.

The bike ran nicely on the way home and seemed smoother than it was prior to the replacement of the ignition coil. Makes sense.

I’m just disappointed that they didn’t clean it for me. Especially as the bike was in pristine condition when the collected it from me and they’ve had 6 days to clean it after it was all fixed.

Not the best experience.
Just spent over an hour cleaning it. Oh and they delivered it with the tyres under inflated. Tut tut.
 
I picked up my 250 from the Honda dealer after a VC inspection. It was covered in literal dirt dust that fell off all the quads and dirt bikes in the shop. I shuddered thinking about that entering the open engine.
 
Thread starter
The CBR300R is running lovely now.
I re-fitted the slip on muffler, R&B hanger, removed the pillion footrests, refitted the seat cowl and fitted a pair of shorty black adjustable levers.

Just got to fit the carbon fender extender up front and we're all done.

Cracking bike and loving it now its back, clean and bumbling along sweetly.:biker:
 
Back
Top