Gears Racing Shocks

Thread starter
I figured I would post a follow-up to my own question as this didn't get any attention here. After doing some research, I found that this company is a Taiwanese company who is relatively new to the scene. They produce great quality suspension components for the racing scene (SXS, motorcycle, kart, etc.) From what I could tell they have a good reputation by their users (still relatively few but in the racing scene they have some wins).

After talking to Tommy at Gears-Racing in CA and hearing what he had to say about the product I was willing to take a chance with their products. I ordered the "Classico Edition" piggybackless shocks for the CB1100 (Classico is the black color scheme). I specifically wanted a piggybackless shock to avoid interference issues with my luggage.

I received the shocks today and was extremely impressed with the quality and workmanship. The machining and anodizing is flawless. I also was able to get out for a short test ride and I can only say that these shocks are heads and tails better than stock (to be fair I think most shocks would be a significant improvement as the stockers are garbage).

Bottom line I am pleased with the product, the fit and finish and the price was better than some of the other offerings in this class.

On to the pictures:

Very well packaged



Nice personal touch:


The product:


Swag:


Documentation:


Installed:


 
They look great. Look forward to hearing more.
 
Thread starter
I had a nice opportunity today to really give these a good shakedown. Many of the roads around me are in bad condition and the stock suspension would really get out of sorts if you encountered the broken pavement in an aggressive turn.

I was really pleased with the improvement these shocks made. The bike is much more compliant now in situations where the stock shocks would be noticeably unsettled. I hate to use the word "plush" because it implies "mushy" to me, but I can say that I am no longer puckering or standing up slightly when there's a break in the pavement or a pothole. Most suspension components "break in" a little bit so I am expecting these to soften up a bit more but hopefully not too much.

One drawback of these is that it becomes glaringly obvious how lacking the front fork setup is when using them. Thankfully I already have the RT straight rate .90 kg/mm springs and 7.5WT fork oil here which I am expecting to make a positive improvement over stock in ride comfort and proper spring for my weight. If you have any specific questions please let me know!
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
Excellent report, thank you.
Would appreciate an explanation of how these differ from the Ikon product.
I don't know if anyone would be able to get that info without a breakdown of the two products side by side. I would love to see that myself though!
 
camoto_imp said:
I had a nice opportunity today to really give these a good shakedown. Many of the roads around me are in bad condition and the stock suspension would really get out of sorts if you encountered the broken pavement in an aggressive turn.

I was really pleased with the improvement these shocks made. The bike is much more compliant now in situations where the stock shocks would be noticeably unsettled. I hate to use the word "plush" because it implies "mushy" to me, but I can say that I am no longer puckering or standing up slightly when there's a break in the pavement or a pothole. Most suspension components "break in" a little bit so I am expecting these to soften up a bit more but hopefully not too much.

One drawback of these is that it becomes glaringly obvious how lacking the front fork setup is when using them. Thankfully I already have the RT straight rate .90 kg/mm springs and 7.5WT fork oil here which I am expecting to make a positive improvement over stock in ride comfort and proper spring for my weight. If you have any specific questions please let me know!
Thanks for the update on how these perform.
Are they built to your weight or is it 1 size for all.
 
camoto_imp said:
SCCBrider_imp said:
Would you PM me and let me know what the cost were on these? I would like to fix my rear as well.
Hi, the price is right there on their website.

749 for the black and 20 for shipping.

https://www.gears-dynamics.com/products/honda-cb1100-ex-ev-rear-shock
Hi, the price is right there on their website.

749 for the black and 20 for shipping.

https://www.gears-dynamics.com/products/honda-cb1100-ex-ev-rear-shock
Thanks a lot.:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Mscb1100_imp said:
camoto_imp said:
I had a nice opportunity today to really give these a good shakedown. Many of the roads around me are in bad condition and the stock suspension would really get out of sorts if you encountered the broken pavement in an aggressive turn.

I was really pleased with the improvement these shocks made. The bike is much more compliant now in situations where the stock shocks would be noticeably unsettled. I hate to use the word "plush" because it implies "mushy" to me, but I can say that I am no longer puckering or standing up slightly when there's a break in the pavement or a pothole. Most suspension components "break in" a little bit so I am expecting these to soften up a bit more but hopefully not too much.

One drawback of these is that it becomes glaringly obvious how lacking the front fork setup is when using them. Thankfully I already have the RT straight rate .90 kg/mm springs and 7.5WT fork oil here which I am expecting to make a positive improvement over stock in ride comfort and proper spring for my weight. If you have any specific questions please let me know!
Thanks for the update on how these perform.
Are they built to your weight or is it 1 size for all.
They only offer a single spring rate. I'm sure other springs could be fitted if you were outside of their design spec. You could email them and see maybe?
 
"big bumps and quick changes of direction remind you why single-shock rear ends with more travel and progressive linkages killed off the dinosaurs" - John Burns, Motorcycle.com - '13 CB1100 - New England Pavement is basically a dirt road. Towns constantly dig up and patch roads for what lies beneath. Frost heaves. Manhole covers. Potholes. CB11 and CB1000R, both bikes hopped like Kangaroos on my (160 LB soaking wet) test rides. So these Gears shocks look like a nice refit.
 
VERY COOL pics and look:thumbsup:
...no matter what Japan delivers...bikers will always try to improve it to their personal satisfaction....sky is the limit...

pb
 
Back
Top