Gear Selector Issue

aibrookes_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
So, picked up my brand new 2017 model CB1100 rode it to the petrol station (approx 5 miles). every time I stopped at lights, when I came to pull away it would jump out of first gear and leave me stranded. I thought it may be the "newness" so persevered. Tried putting it in gear more firmly................same issue. Tried pulling away while holding it in gear...............it still tried it's best to jump out.
I returned to Honda, and the salesman swiftly took it round the back for them to "have a look". The junior technician took it for a spin and reported back that there was indeed an issue. The senior technician then took it for a spin, and when he returned he confirmed that there is definitely an issue.
I was then offered a courtesy bike which would have to be returned next day because it was booked out, but they would sort me out with a "long term" loaner!!
Anyway, when I returned the next day, they had spoken to Honda who confirmed this was a known issue and the selector mechanism and cover will need to be replaced, which will take a week or 2.
I now have an Africa Twin and await for news of my new bike.
To be fair they did offer to get me a CB1100 demo, which I declined because I would like to give the Africa a go.
So up to now not overly impressed with the CB1100
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum. As far as being a known issue, I have been here since day 1 and this is the first time I have ever heard of a CB popping out of gear. The CB 6 speed trans is in it's 4 th year of production. These bikes have great transmissions. The only reason for a bike to pop out of gear would be a worn or miss cut dog or slot in the transmission gear not letting it fully engage would be my guess. Hope they get it straightened out for you.
 
Same here, first I've heard of a CB jumping out of gear.
Not meaning to gloat, but my '14 shifts so slick it's scary :D
 
Welcome to the forum, aibrookes. First I’ve heard of this ‘known issue’. Sorry to hear you’ve had it and hope it’s resolved quickly.
 
Shocked to hear that. My CB is the most precise and reliable shifting bike I've ever had the pleasure of using. The only "issue" I've ever had is very rarely, it will resist going into first if I'm stopped at a light and in neutral and will require me to toggle up to second and back down into first rather than clicking straight into first from neutral. That happens very rarely though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
COCB1100_imp said:
Shocked to hear that. My CB is the most precise and reliable shifting bike I've ever had the pleasure of using. The only "issue" I've ever had is very rarely, it will resist going into first if I'm stopped at a light and in neutral and will require me to toggle up to second and back down into first rather than clicking straight into first from neutral. That happens very rarely though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's perfectly normal for a motorcycle transmission. That's a common trait of a transmission that is not a constant-mesh / synchro-mesh design.

An easier way to go from neutral to first while stopped is to let the clutch out and then pull it back in. You should be able to go straight from neutral to first gear after that. Another tactic that works is to roll the bike a few inches (forward or back) and then shift into first.
 
Flyn speakesk the truth.
 
My '13 shifted very nicely til I put 10-40 in at the last oil change. Since then it has been mildly recalcitrant, requiring a bit more effort and attention, as if it was laboring somewhat. Going back to 10-30 soon.
No popping out ever.

Ben
 
Ben70_imp said:
My '13 shifted very nicely til I put 10-40 in at the last oil change. Since then it has been mildly recalcitrant, requiring a bit more effort and attention, as if it was laboring somewhat. Going back to 10-30 soon.
No popping out ever.

Ben
Wonder if that could be an oil brand problem. I switched over to Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 after the second oil change and noticed smoother shifting and less engine noise right away.

Oh no, is this becoming an oil thread?
 
Flynrider_imp said:
COCB1100_imp said:
Shocked to hear that. My CB is the most precise and reliable shifting bike I've ever had the pleasure of using. The only "issue" I've ever had is very rarely, it will resist going into first if I'm stopped at a light and in neutral and will require me to toggle up to second and back down into first rather than clicking straight into first from neutral. That happens very rarely though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's perfectly normal for a motorcycle transmission. That's a common trait of a transmission that is not a constant-mesh / synchro-mesh design.

An easier way to go from neutral to first while stopped is to let the clutch out and then pull it back in. You should be able to go straight from neutral to first gear after that. Another tactic that works is to roll the bike a few inches (forward or back) and then shift into first.
That's perfectly normal for a motorcycle transmission. That's a common trait of a transmission that is not a constant-mesh / synchro-mesh design.

An easier way to go from neutral to first while stopped is to let the clutch out and then pull it back in. You should be able to go straight from neutral to first gear after that. Another tactic that works is to roll the bike a few inches (forward or back) and then shift into first.

Yes, I either pop it up to second and back down, roll it forward or clutch and unclutch. Never been an "issue" for me even in heavy commuter traffic. TBH it rarely even happens. It's usually just it's typical easy shifting smooth self.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Just a quick update. The selector mechanism and cover have now been replaced and she is silky smooth.
Apparently there have been another 5 cases reported in the UK. Must have been a bad batch!!
 
aibrookes_imp said:
Just a quick update. The selector mechanism and cover have now been replaced and she is silky smooth.
Apparently there have been another 5 cases reported in the UK. Must have been a bad batch!!
Thanks for the update. Good to hear :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Not saying this is the case in all cases, but sometimes a "lazy shift" (not done with authority but with a gentle lift of the toe) will not properly make a shift and the result is it pops out of gear. The CB1100 with digital gear indicators will show an improper shift with a dash line in the gauge instead of a number.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Not saying this is the case in all cases, but sometimes a "lazy shift" (not done with authority but with a gentle lift of the toe) will not properly make a shift and the result is it pops out of gear. The CB1100 with digital gear indicators will show an improper shift with a dash line in the gauge instead of a number.
Nothing like a screaming motor headed towards its red line to remind you to shift properly. This usually happens when I am fatigued from riding too long or trying to hurry in heavy traffic. Miss Piggy's way of reminding me to ride properly.
 
Back
Top