Gauntlets, anyone?

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Has anyone used deflectors to keep the wind off their hands in cold weather riding? Gloves heavy enough to keep fingers warm for longer rides can restrict movement, and you need to be plugged in with heated gloves. I imagine heated grips work well but they’re fairly expensive.

I was surfing Webike and came across these Chic Design GUYRA gauntlets. They are more stylish that the less expensive wind deflectors available from J&P and other US retailers yet appear to provide good coverage.

Thoughts?

f75d8d90ba2e91538e0dcf22c04b8ea8.jpg


74f2694d4f3a29c0dd8daa220695dd80.jpg


de762bfe8638e52fa5bb27529cf16eac.jpg
 
Those are acutally pretty nice if'n you asked me. They don't look as if they were made for a dirt bike like most usually do.
 
I've never used such a thing, but I imagine they do a decent job of keeping cold wind off your fingers. Nothing beats a nice heated grip, but these might be a good alternative. How much are they?
 
I like these. I see these working in combination with the heated grips where these protect the back of your hands from freezing.
 
I had them on the Quota with bark buster bars; worked pretty good. I added them to the Griso (Moto Guzzi Stelvio factory items so they look like they belong) and they seem to be less effective. I'm at a quandary with the CB. Right now the heated grips idea is gaining traction. Sure they are expensive and I may have to go with the grips in addition to the gauntlets/covers. On longer rides in very cool temps the covers did only so much anyway. OK for short trips but heaters still rule.
 
My VStrom 1000 came with them from the factory and I loved them. Not only do they help with the cold, but they also keep air from flowing up your cuffs and inflating your jacket.

I may add a set to the CB as the cooler months come along.

Plus they look great.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I had them on the Quota with bark buster bars; worked pretty good. I added them to the Griso (Moto Guzzi Stelvio factory items so they look like they belong) and they seem to be less effective. I'm at a quandary with the CB. Right now the heated grips idea is gaining traction. Sure they are expensive and I may have to go with the grips in addition to the gauntlets/covers. On longer rides in very cool temps the covers did only so much anyway. OK for short trips but heaters still rule.
Did about 60 miles today with 48F temps. Those Honda heated grips felt sooooooo
good. But I can see a set of these hand guards in my future. They look better than the National Cycle ones my son has on his bike. Mr. T to the rescue!
 
Thread starter
Ole_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I had them on the Quota with bark buster bars; worked pretty good. I added them to the Griso (Moto Guzzi Stelvio factory items so they look like they belong) and they seem to be less effective. I'm at a quandary with the CB. Right now the heated grips idea is gaining traction. Sure they are expensive and I may have to go with the grips in addition to the gauntlets/covers. On longer rides in very cool temps the covers did only so much anyway. OK for short trips but heaters still rule.
Did about 60 miles today with 48F temps. Those Honda heated grips felt sooooooo
good. But I can see a set of these hand guards in my future. They look better than the National Cycle ones my son has on his bike. Mr. T to the rescue!
Did about 60 miles today with 48F temps. Those Honda heated grips felt sooooooo
good. But I can see a set of these hand guards in my future. They look better than the National Cycle ones my son has on his bike. Mr. T to the rescue!
Should have a pair mounted on my bike next week. Getting ready to do 100 miles without them today. Currently 46 degrees.

Postride Update: frozen fingers until the day warmed up. The gauntlets can't come soon enough!
 
Thread starter
These are the clear (no tint) Guyra Gauntlets by Chic Design - Takashi shipped them out Saturday and they arrived Monday. I also got an aluminum meter panel in the package.

I did a 40 mile test ride in 60 degree weather with no gloves to test the gauntlets. The gauntlets were a tad low, allowing wind to hit the top of my hands. But my fingers stayed out of the wind.

The gauntlets were low for two reasons, both related to the mirrors. The lute mirrors don't use the insert piece that the stock mirrors use, lowering the mirror base by a good 6mm. Plus I had rotated my levers/brake reservoirs forward overcome the mirrors limited up/down tilt range. I added shims and rotated the mirrors back up a little in order to get better wind protection.

a5df757e4a7754c0236a7621dd1096b2.jpg


93402e3a946436c4d95d2526739ec27c.jpg


The gauntlets are expensive but well made and provide good protection when properly adjusted. Here is a picture of the meter panel.

a9ab06ea470cd3910b23bd37e97b79d1.jpg
 
They are the best looking ones I've seen. I've found for really cold weather, these type deflectors in conjunction with heated grips work much better than just heated grips. My thumbs still got cold on bikes with just heated grips.
 
After several years of heated grips and wind deflectors on a previous bike, worked pretty good in lots of cold and wet weather, I accidently got a pair of heated gloves. Now I can't even tell I'm outside, don't always plug them in but when I do it's amazing!

Cost less than heated grips.
 
Back
Top