Gasoline quality ?

Stealth128_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Okay I run Shell gas in my CB I have noticed a big difference between stations with the way the fuel performs and the mileage I get. It's 87 octane. My question is does anyone else notice. Any difference with same brand different station?

Thanks,
 
Stealth128_imp said:
Okay I run Shell gas in my CB I have noticed a big difference between stations with the way the fuel performs and the mileage I get. It's 87 octane. My question is does anyone else notice. Any difference with same brand different station?

Thanks,
Not sure how they handle it in Tampa, but here in PHX the base gasoline product is a commodity. Each brand gets their gasoline from the same source (a couple of big pipelines coming in from the east and west). The only real difference between brands in our market are the additive packages, which mostly have to do with fuel system cleaning.

The only time I noticed a difference in brands was one particular station near my work that had a chronic problem with water getting in their storage tanks. Beyond that, I can't tell any difference.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Stealth128_imp said:
Okay I run Shell gas in my CB I have noticed a big difference between stations with the way the fuel performs and the mileage I get. It's 87 octane. My question is does anyone else notice. Any difference with same brand different station?

Thanks,
Not sure how they handle it in Tampa, but here in PHX the base gasoline product is a commodity. Each brand gets their gasoline from the same source (a couple of big pipelines coming in from the east and west). The only real difference between brands in our market are the additive packages, which mostly have to do with fuel system cleaning.

The only time I noticed a difference in brands was one particular station near my work that had a chronic problem with water getting in their storage tanks. Beyond that, I can't tell any difference.
Not sure how they handle it in Tampa, but here in PHX the base gasoline product is a commodity. Each brand gets their gasoline from the same source (a couple of big pipelines coming in from the east and west). The only real difference between brands in our market are the additive packages, which mostly have to do with fuel system cleaning.

The only time I noticed a difference in brands was one particular station near my work that had a chronic problem with water getting in their storage tanks. Beyond that, I can't tell any difference.
This is how it works pretty much everywhere. Do you have any idea how expensive it would be to refine 65 different blends and qualities of gasoline? They refine the base fuel and then each company pulls from that stock and put in their own additives and for CA they have their own added additives for it supposedly to burn cleaner, but if you asked me all it does it drop the fuel economy. So not only do I have to pay more for my fuel, but I get to use more of it on top of everything....fun.
 
You might find this interesting:

TOP TIER™ for Retailers - TOP TIER™

Its an independently produced list of retailers who have met a standard of quality. It includes brands you might not have expected...not just the national names.

BTW: its not about gas not on the list being "bad," its about the additive packages that are added to the base gas from these retailers being "better."
 
Thread starter
Thanks very interesting! That really breaks it down. Also when I think about it due to the fact that it has rained here just about everyday I mean huge down pour along with a some flooding in certain areas every day since June I may be dealing with
moisture to some extent?
 
I think that the ethanol content can make a big difference from station to station and may have more of an effect than the differences between what one station and another call 87 octane. Higher ethanol content results in more water absorption and the potential for phase separation.

I was buying Canadian Shell Bronze (87 Octane) to avoid ethanol, but, as it turns out, only Shell V-Power 91 has no ethanol in Canada (and there is no point using 91 octane in this bike since higher octane than it requires is more likely to cause plug fouling and decel popping).

In Canada some stations have as much as 15% ethanol, so I've been trying to keep it down to 10%.
 
I have not noticed any differences using the 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel in my area. I have noted a slight increase in mileage when I have used the non-ethanol 87 fuel.

Good link Spaceman, thanks.
 
I always use 93 , mostly from Shell but also BP and Exxon.
Hopefully more cleaning additives and less ethanol, all my bikes and other power equipment run perfectly.
 
I try to burn Shell or Chevron but hear Circle K is good too. In any event, you are better off getting gas from a "popular" station so that the gas is fresh.

When we first moved to Phoenix and I picked up a Suzuki Samurai, the little four cylinder was pretty sensitive to gas so every third fill up I'd used Texaco gas; otherwise I used the cheap stuff (Arco gas, rumor has it, is the worst crud to buy, you heard it here so it must be true.... :D ). Mileage always went up with the Texaco stuff.

Got a better job and a better car so I stopped being a cheapskate and switched to Texaco or Chevron (also did a little experiment with synthetic oil and found I got about 1.5mpg better with syn than dino) and never looked back. When on vacation I shoot for tier one gas stations when I can. I tend to record my mileage and fill ups (cars only, bikes rarely get the same recordings) so I notice if mileage takes a dip; typically this means an air filter needs attention or maybe a dealer visit is in order.

I don't see a big difference between seasons and gas blends or AC use. I'm pretty much a light footed driver and will use AC almost year round. :) Being a Northerner in AZ.......
 
holy666diver_imp said:
So everyone here runs 87? My mechanic said to always run 91 on motorcycles. Whats the difference?
Higher octane means it contains combustion inhibitors to prevent predetonation in high compression engines. If the engine is designed for a specific octane, it generally does you no good to go higher. In fact, if you go too high you may get incomplete combustion, fouled plugs and possibly more decel popping.

The only benefit to running slightly higher octane than what the manufacturer specifies is that it often contains more detergent additives and in some cases less or no ethanol.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
So everyone here runs 87? My mechanic said to always run 91 on motorcycles. Whats the difference?

87 here.

If you are in the US, that is what is specified. In tother parts of the world with a different measuring system it calls for 91 pon I believe.

So your mechanic knows more than the engineers at Honda that designed it?

Interesting

All I can say is old wives tales are difficult to purge..
 
I guess he thought he knew more lol I'll run 87 from now on i must have missed that in the manual

The ferret_imp said:
holy666diver_imp said:
So everyone here runs 87? My mechanic said to always run 91 on motorcycles. Whats the difference?

87 here.

If you are in the US, that is what is specified. In tother parts of the world with a different measuring system it calls for 91 pon I believe.

So your mechanic knows more than the engineers at Honda that designed it?

Interesting

All I can say is old wives tales are difficult to purge..

87 here.

If you are in the US, that is what is specified. In tother parts of the world with a different measuring system it calls for 91 pon I believe.

So your mechanic knows more than the engineers at Honda that designed it?

Interesting

All I can say is old wives tales are difficult to purge..
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
holy666diver_imp said:
So everyone here runs 87? My mechanic said to always run 91 on motorcycles. Whats the difference?

87 here.

If you are in the US, that is what is specified. In tother parts of the world with a different measuring system it calls for 91 pon I believe.

So your mechanic knows more than the engineers at Honda that designed it?

Interesting

All I can say is old wives tales are difficult to purge..

87 here.

If you are in the US, that is what is specified. In tother parts of the world with a different measuring system it calls for 91 pon I believe.

So your mechanic knows more than the engineers at Honda that designed it?

Interesting

All I can say is old wives tales are difficult to purge.. Ferret is absolutely correct higher octane will also soot up your cat converter. After reading this thread. I now know why I have such a difference from station to station
I forgot about the water absorbing ethanol. I have noticed that some of these stations I visit have water sitting around after a hard rain while others don't. I'm willing to bet if I used the stations that have no sitting rain water could make a big difference. At least in my situation. Thanks everybody I have a much better understand of the problem and how to correct!
 
Wow! I for one would love to have just a part of the money people in this country spend on premium fuel when the manufacturer of their vehicle specifies regular. When is the myth that premium means better gonna die?

One of the reasons I like my CB is because Honda tuned it to allow regular fuel. As far as the ethanol issue goes, don't get me started. Here in WA, we have it force fed to us. Basically a bad deal for m/c's, boats, and small engines, unless the whole vehicle was designed for e10.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I try to burn Shell or Chevron but hear Circle K is good too. In any event, you are better off getting gas from a "popular" station so that the gas is fresh.

When we first moved to Phoenix and I picked up a Suzuki Samurai, the little four cylinder was pretty sensitive to gas so every third fill up I'd used Texaco gas; otherwise I used the cheap stuff (Arco gas, rumor has it, is the worst crud to buy, you heard it here so it must be true.... :D ). Mileage always went up with the Texaco stuff.

Got a better job and a better car so I stopped being a cheapskate and switched to Texaco or Chevron (also did a little experiment with synthetic oil and found I got about 1.5mpg better with syn than dino) and never looked back. When on vacation I shoot for tier one gas stations when I can. I tend to record my mileage and fill ups (cars only, bikes rarely get the same recordings) so I notice if mileage takes a dip; typically this means an air filter needs attention or maybe a dealer visit is in order.

I don't see a big difference between seasons and gas blends or AC use. I'm pretty much a light footed driver and will use AC almost year round. :) Being a Northerner in AZ.......
I used to assume ARCO was dino-swill too until I found out it's listed as a Top Tier fuel. I would stay away from independent stations like Circle K because it's not considered "top tier".

~ The Bee
 
I pretty sure if you use the same brand of oil as you do fuel (Shell, Mobil, etc.) you'll get all around better performance.

Problem is what oil to use with the off brand fuels?
 
Well that was an eye opener, Circle K WAS a top tier the last time I looked - about five years ago. Now nothing may have changed, you have to participate in the Top Tier to get listed so not being listed does not necessarily mean poorer gas, but no warm fuzzy either.

So thanks for making look again Mike. :worship:
 
Back
Top