gas tank removal

Kawiboy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
any advise on taking the gas tank off?, I have never touched a fuel injected tank and am wondering about the fuel line.
 
Kawiboy, I'm sorry, I can't remember where they are, but there's a couple of posts on the forum about removing the tank. Maybe in the "How to" section. Try the search function. Sometimes it works well.
 
I know I did it once......

But seriously, it's not too hard. You just have to carefully release the clip that attaches the fuel line to the pump. Also make sure to disconnect power to the fuel pump and run the bike till it stalls to make sure the pressure is out of the system first.

This is where it's located:
a11b1e984031303242d03e2ae7013220.jpg


And this is with it disconnected:
58e115fed71e897ac4303933d9743583.jpg


gas tank removal
 
Randy. If the ignition key is turned off, then why do you need to disconnect the power to the fuel pump?
 
You need the cable disconnected as there is no slack to lift the tank.

Not worded very well, but you get it... :)
 
Dave_imp said:
Randy. If the ignition key is turned off, then why do you need to disconnect the power to the fuel pump?
In order to depressurize the fuel system the fuel pump shouldn't be running. By disconnecting its power supply, then running the bike til it dies, the pump won't have pressurized the lines and you won't get a surprise when you disconnect the fuel line.
 
Well, yeah, there is that too... :P
 
Dave_imp said:
Randy. If the ignition key is turned off, then why do you need to disconnect the power to the fuel pump?
Because you can run the bike if the key is off. The point is to depressurize the system so that fuel doesn't spray all over when you disconnect the fuel line from the tank.
 
Don't worry about depressurizing the system. The fuel line has a leak free connection at the break point. When you pull the line apart you'll get a couple drops of fuel but nothing serious. If you bleed the pressure off it's just going to be a pain when you try to restart it.

Just did this to install my HID and power commander not long ago....
 
I followed the service manual when I swapped out my tank, so there has to be something to it.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I followed the service manual when I swapped out my tank, so there has to be something to it.
Well, yes you'd want to do that if you're swapping tanks. I assume you used your old pump on the new tank?
 
Randy B_imp said:
Yes, I did.
Gotcha. I'll bleed the pressure this winter when I send the tank to get painted. But just for pulling the tank for minor maintenance to the rest of the bike I'm not worried about the line being pressurized.
 
So long as you don't have to disconnect the fuel line, then don't worry about it. If you need to disconnect it, then I would.
 
Thread starter
the trick on getting the fuel line off is to pull away the soft black rubber insert, squeeze the green clamp ends inward while gently pulling the line off. There are 2 raised areas on the line you must clear.
 
Back
Top