Gas prices affect your riding?

There's talk from the CA governor about a possible relief payment to California car owners. Supposedly we're sitting on a big budget surplus, this would be a nice way to use it.

Regular was holding at $5.80 at my local station when I rode by this morning. I have a day off tomorrow, so I'm leaving the Baby Bike here at the shop and taking home the gas hog CB1100 so I can find some remote location to take my monthly photo challenge pictures.

Mrs. Gone and I are taking a long driving trip at the end of the month. To me, it feels more like a vacation if we rent a car, plus I won't worry about racking up miles on our old CRV. However, with crazy rental car prices right now, my only justification is renting something that gets much better mileage than the 26 average CRV. I told Mrs. Gone that we can rent a Toyota Yaris, which averages 40, for twice as much as the big, comfy Impala we rented for our last driving vacation.

She didn't like that idea very much...
 
In my neighborhood, we are now at $8.70 a gallon if I convert. For sure, gas prices have always been much more expensive in Europe, primarily due to the heavy taxes that are imposed. I don't think that is such a bad idea really as it has helped us to generally have cars that are more frugal, and it pushes manufacturers to work in this direction.

I was however struck yesterday with the rate hike during the day. When I went to the office in the morning the price was about $8.20, and when I drove home it had been hiked to $8.70. That is pretty steep in one day!!

In any case, it does not really have an impact on how much I ride. I have a plug-in hybrid car that covers most of my regular transport needs, and since distances are often short I end up filling the tank of my car maybe 4 times a year (thats a 25 litre tank). The bike riding is more of a pleasure, and I am willing to pay for that pleasure!
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
There's talk from the CA governor about a possible relief payment to California car owners. Supposedly we're sitting on a big budget surplus, this would be a nice way to use it.

Regular was holding at $5.80 at my local station when I rode by this morning. I have a day off tomorrow, so I'm leaving the Baby Bike here at the shop and taking home the gas hog CB1100 so I can find some remote location to take my monthly photo challenge pictures.

Mrs. Gone and I are taking a long driving trip at the end of the month. To me, it feels more like a vacation if we rent a car, plus I won't worry about racking up miles on our old CRV. However, with crazy rental car prices right now, my only justification is renting something that gets much better mileage than the 26 average CRV. I told Mrs. Gone that we can rent a Toyota Yaris, which averages 40, for twice as much as the big, comfy Impala we rented for our last driving vacation.

She didn't like that idea very much...
The last car I actually rented for a trip up the east coast 3 years ago was a 4 cyl Toyota Camry and was pleasantly shocked that it got about 38 mpg.

The last time I tried to rent a car however, last year for our trip to South Dakota to meet up with Empty Sea and his group, they wanted $1100 for a week, so we ended up taking my wife's Highlander, which is in the 26 mpg range.

Can't afford to take my 16 mpg truck anywhere but to the grocery store lol.
 
[/QUOTE]
Can't afford to take my 16 mpg truck anywhere but to the grocery store lol.
[/QUOTE]

My ST gets 30 mpg average, but with a track-oriented suspension, our backs can't afford to take it much further than the grocery store...
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
There's talk from the CA governor about a possible relief payment to California car owners. Supposedly we're sitting on a big budget surplus, this would be a nice way to use it.

Regular was holding at $5.80 at my local station when I rode by this morning. I have a day off tomorrow, so I'm leaving the Baby Bike here at the shop and taking home the gas hog CB1100 so I can find some remote location to take my monthly photo challenge pictures.

Mrs. Gone and I are taking a long driving trip at the end of the month. To me, it feels more like a vacation if we rent a car, plus I won't worry about racking up miles on our old CRV. However, with crazy rental car prices right now, my only justification is renting something that gets much better mileage than the 26 average CRV. I told Mrs. Gone that we can rent a Toyota Yaris, which averages 40, for twice as much as the big, comfy Impala we rented for our last driving vacation.

She didn't like that idea very much...
The last car I actually rented for a trip up the east coast 3 years ago was a 4 cyl Toyota Camry and was pleasantly shocked that it got about 38 mpg.

The last time I tried to rent a car however, last year for our trip to South Dakota to meet up with Empty Sea and his group, they wanted $1100 for a week, so we ended up taking my wife's Highlander, which is in the 26 mpg range.

Can't afford to take my 16 mpg truck anywhere but to the grocery store lol.
Just have to take Mrs Ferret’s sparkly new beast!
 
Henrik_imp said:
In my neighborhood, we are now at $8.70 a gallon if I convert. For sure, gas prices have always been much more expensive in Europe, primarily due to the heavy taxes that are imposed. I don't think that is such a bad idea really as it has helped us to generally have cars that are more frugal, and it pushes manufacturers to work in this direction.

I was however struck yesterday with the rate hike during the day. When I went to the office in the morning the price was about $8.20, and when I drove home it had been hiked to $8.70. That is pretty steep in one day!!

In any case, it does not really have an impact on how much I ride. I have a plug-in hybrid car that covers most of my regular transport needs, and since distances are often short I end up filling the tank of my car maybe 4 times a year (thats a 25 litre tank). The bike riding is more of a pleasure, and I am willing to pay for that pleasure!
Yeah, hybrid and full-on EV owners are smilin' pretty good right now - at least in terms of cage driving.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
There's talk from the CA governor about a possible relief payment to California car owners. Supposedly we're sitting on a big budget surplus, this would be a nice way to use it.

Regular was holding at $5.80 at my local station when I rode by this morning. I have a day off tomorrow, so I'm leaving the Baby Bike here at the shop and taking home the gas hog CB1100 so I can find some remote location to take my monthly photo challenge pictures.

Mrs. Gone and I are taking a long driving trip at the end of the month. To me, it feels more like a vacation if we rent a car, plus I won't worry about racking up miles on our old CRV. However, with crazy rental car prices right now, my only justification is renting something that gets much better mileage than the 26 average CRV. I told Mrs. Gone that we can rent a Toyota Yaris, which averages 40, for twice as much as the big, comfy Impala we rented for our last driving vacation.

She didn't like that idea very much...
The last car I actually rented for a trip up the east coast 3 years ago was a 4 cyl Toyota Camry and was pleasantly shocked that it got about 38 mpg.

The last time I tried to rent a car however, last year for our trip to South Dakota to meet up with Empty Sea and his group, they wanted $1100 for a week, so we ended up taking my wife's Highlander, which is in the 26 mpg range.

Can't afford to take my 16 mpg truck anywhere but to the grocery store lol.
Just have to take Mrs Ferret’s sparkly new beast!
Just have to take Mrs Ferret’s sparkly new beast!
WHAT?....Mrs Ferret got sparky new muscle car...and what Ferret got as a counterbalance????, comon :)
 
Thread starter
Lol Ferret got squat. My truck is 12 years old and my CB has more miles on it. My needs are simple.... 2 wheels and time to ride.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol Ferret got squat. My truck is 12 years old and my CB has more miles on it. My needs are simple.... 2 wheels and time to ride.
Fair deal :thumbsup:
 
Wow Ferret, your truck is brand new!! Mine is a 1995. Don’t even get taxed on it anymore AND gets an awesome ~18mpg. :D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Wow Ferret, your truck is brand new!! Mine is a 1995. Don’t even get taxed on it anymore AND gets an awesome ~18mpg. :D
My ol' '90 truck got 14.7 mpg, and it was only a wheezy 3.0L engine.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Wow Ferret, your truck is brand new!! Mine is a 1995. Don’t even get taxed on it anymore AND gets an awesome ~18mpg. :D
My ol' '90 truck got 14.7 mpg, and it was only a wheezy 3.0L engine.


Geez my big car- 6.0L almost 6,000 pound 12 cylinder- which makes 444hp - 413lb-ft stock gets better than that!
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Wow Ferret, your truck is brand new!! Mine is a 1995. Don’t even get taxed on it anymore AND gets an awesome ~18mpg. :D
My ol' '90 truck got 14.7 mpg, and it was only a wheezy 3.0L engine.


Geez my big car- 6.0L almost 6,000 pound 12 cylinder- which makes 444hp - 413lb-ft stock gets better than that!
Geez my big car- 6.0L almost 6,000 pound 12 cylinder- which makes 444hp - 413lb-ft stock gets better than that!
What can I say? I, ..., am, ... embarrassed.
 
Here in SoCal gas is getting very expensive, getting close to 6 bucks a gallon, but I don't care 'cause I ride for fun, not for transportation. On the other hand, I recently started a new job with a 40 mi. round-trip a day commute. That's where I feel it. When I get down to half a tank, I fill up cause the price rises so much every day.
 
Ha! In the “old town” section of my town, they don’t allow electronic gas price signs. A guy at the local station was commenting this morning when I was gassing up that he was tired from changing the manual digits so frequently lately.
 
I do around 2000 steps per mile and about 17mins to cover that mile - I do around 2 miles or so each day, certainly helps keep me more limber.

As for petrol prices, riding is too important in my life to worry about something a minor (for me) as how much it costs to fill my tank.
 
Back
Top