Gas prices affect your riding?

Houtman_imp said:
My neighbor bought a very large motor home last year and now complains that a full tank of diesel cost him $ 750 !!! He only goes to dog shows with 3 small dogs ( and his wife )
Yee-ikes. :s
 
Talk about yikes... We finished up an event yesterday, and after we loaded the two 53' trailers, I took one of the trucks that pull the trailers to the gas station to fill it before hooking up its trailer. I glanced at the average MPG and just about gagged, especially with diesel at about $5/gallon.
 
Ign ON, engine warm & idling, gas tank full and shows 76 miles to empty...or it shows tank empty..or you need manual reset??
 
Very perceptive, sir! That was just after I filled it and got back in the truck. As soon as I started rolling back to where the trailer was parked, it recalculated the miles-to-empty. For some reason, it's not like my car.. it needs to start moving before it thinks about how much gas it has. In any case, that's one hard working truck, and moving our equipment from location to location is costing a fortune right now.
 
Thread starter
3 1/2 MPG .... Gads
 
We're teetering on the upper limit of the towing capacity.

Sort of like I'm sure my CB300R would get the 95mpg that people who weigh 100 pound or less are crowing about. But with me riding it... not so much.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Very perceptive, sir! That was just after I filled it and got back in the truck. As soon as I started rolling back to where the trailer was parked, it recalculated the miles-to-empty. For some reason, it's not like my car.. it needs to start moving before it thinks about how much gas it has. In any case, that's one hard working truck, and moving our equipment from location to location is costing a fortune right now.
Yeah, many vehicles, including the two-wheeled kinda can be like that. It is just the implementation.
 
Actually no… I got to thinking that I’ve been glued to the CB300R’s instant mpg reading, as I’ve been trying to balance realistic highway speed with mileage to get a tank range of at least 130-140 miles, which is a full week of commuting. But I’ve never cycled the screen over to average mpg. Looks like I’m hitting my goal, as a fill up is about 2.1 gallons before the low fuel light comes on.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Actually no… I got to thinking that I’ve been glued to the CB300R’s instant mpg reading, as I’ve been trying to balance realistic highway speed with mileage to get a tank range of at least 130-140 miles, which is a full week of commuting. But I’ve never cycled the screen over to average mpg. Looks like I’m hitting my goal, as a fill up is about 2.1 gallons before the low fuel light comes on.
That is pretty dang good Gone. The equivalent is about 3.3L/100 kms ... that is close to scooter territory (~1.9L/100 kms urban riding).
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
This number is quite a bit more appealing.
Yea it is :thumbsup:

I'm averaging 68 mpg right now on the NC 750X (a little down from Summer, but probably due to winter blend gas I'm guessing.. or I'm riding faster lol)
 
I know the NC bikes are well known for fuel economy. I was perusing them, but since the intent of adding a bike was to give Mrs. Gone something small and light, I went the 300 route. Still, if I ever replace the Bonneville, an NC would be at the top of my list.

I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting from the 300, but it was a bit of a learning curve. When I first rode the bike home from San Diego to Orange County, within the first few miles I realized that sustained speeds in the low 70s weren't a problem. So, I rode like I'd normally do, but when I saw the low fuel light at 100 miles, I realized that a more judicious right wrist was advisable.
 
Thread starter
Once you get to 70 and above I think they all suffer in gas mileage. I know my CB does. I average 57 mpg on the CB.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Once you get to 70 and above I think they all suffer in gas mileage. I know my CB does. I average 57 mpg on the CB.
Sorry, did you mean 70 y o... or 70 miles/h.....but I agree to any answer :D
 
The bike is the inverse of the rider - once I passed 70 years, I had a lot more gas, but riding the bike over 70mph, it has less gas. Just my observation.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
The bike is the inverse of the rider - once I passed 70 years, I had a lot more gas, but riding the bike over 70mph, it has less gas. Just my observation.
I value your opinion, 'cos I am slowly approaching this number :)
 
Back
Top