Gas Mileage?

Man's as frightening as the Ferret. Must be something about Ohio.
 
The last 2 years I've been getting 40 mpg on virtually every tank full. The last 2 fill-ups saw 45 mpg. That coincides with a exhaust pipe change, but it's too early to draw any conclusions.
 
270 miles on my now 4 day old 2014 leftover,trip meter is showing 55 mpg,at 139 miles it showed 53.9 but the math told me 52,good enough.Gentle to moderate use due to putting on break-in miles.
 
I think I'll start a poll comparing mileage of 5 vs. 6 speeds on this topic. In theory the latter should get better MPGs. I have a 2014 standard, weigh 260 and ride solo, w/o windscreen, averaging a little over 45 mpg on regular octane gas, but haven't really tried to stretch out the miles. I think "50" is quite doable with a six speed.
 
dsinned_imp said:
I think I'll start a poll comparing mileage of 5 vs. 6 speeds on this topic. In theory the latter should get better MPGs. I have a 2014 standard, weigh 260 and ride solo, w/o windscreen, averaging a little over 45 mpg on regular octane gas, but haven't really tried to stretch out the miles. I think "50" is quite doable with a six speed.
Im 280lbs and ride fairly aggressively, and a little faster than traffic (figure 75mph average) and I average 42mpg..

I wish I was getting 50.. But to get there requires riding slower than traffic and that is a danger not work the extra MPG's to me..
 
I consistently avg an amazing 60+ MPG, and I check it every time I fill up. Includes a VERY fast weekend in New Hampshire where I was doing 100 mph blasts all day.
The Vesco fairing is aerodynamic and makes the mileage go up. Upper 50's sometimes.
 
Todd_K_imp said:
Hey Tim - heated gear... What a novel concept. I'd be interested in getting your recommendations - battery operated, or did you run an outlet off the bike?

Hope you're doing well!

Im a HUGE heated gear fan. Will be hooking up the plug to the CB1100 when winter approaches. Use it on my GoldWing and Shadow. Makes a BIG difference !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yesterday, the trip meter read 199.2 miles and I filled it with 3.215 gallons. That's about 62 mpg by my math. The computer said 64 mpg. The bike is completely stock.
 
memphismike_imp said:
Todd_K_imp said:
Hey Tim - heated gear... What a novel concept. I'd be interested in getting your recommendations - battery operated, or did you run an outlet off the bike?

Hope you're doing well!

Im a HUGE heated gear fan. Will be hooking up the plug to the CB1100 when winter approaches. Use it on my GoldWing and Shadow. Makes a BIG difference !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im a HUGE heated gear fan. Will be hooking up the plug to the CB1100 when winter approaches. Use it on my GoldWing and Shadow. Makes a BIG difference !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I suffer with what they call white finger, even temps of 50 degrees and below my fingers will loose blood flow and go numb. I have the hotwire coat liner and the heated hotwire gloves. They work really well in keeping the white finger in check, allowing me to ride clear down into the lower 30's. I am very satisfied with them. I've never had to go above medium heat setting with the gloves and coat liner.
Kevin
 
husky385_imp said:
memphismike_imp said:
Todd_K_imp said:
Hey Tim - heated gear... What a novel concept. I'd be interested in getting your recommendations - battery operated, or did you run an outlet off the bike?

Hope you're doing well!

Im a HUGE heated gear fan. Will be hooking up the plug to the CB1100 when winter approaches. Use it on my GoldWing and Shadow. Makes a BIG difference !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im a HUGE heated gear fan. Will be hooking up the plug to the CB1100 when winter approaches. Use it on my GoldWing and Shadow. Makes a BIG difference !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I suffer with what they call white finger, even temps of 50 degrees and below my fingers will loose blood flow and go numb. I have the hotwire coat liner and the heated hotwire gloves. They work really well in keeping the white finger in check, allowing me to ride clear down into the lower 30's. I am very satisfied with them. I've never had to go above medium heat setting with the gloves and coat liner.
Kevin

Im a HUGE heated gear fan. Will be hooking up the plug to the CB1100 when winter approaches. Use it on my GoldWing and Shadow. Makes a BIG difference !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I suffer with what they call white finger, even temps of 50 degrees and below my fingers will loose blood flow and go numb. I have the hotwire coat liner and the heated hotwire gloves. They work really well in keeping the white finger in check, allowing me to ride clear down into the lower 30's. I am very satisfied with them. I've never had to go above medium heat setting with the gloves and coat liner.
Kevin

I absolutely LOVE it Kevin. Sounds like it woks very well for you too!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
2014 Model. Just filled up. about 43.5mpg. The Speedometer said Average was 45.9mpg. I have gotten 49-52mpg. On a Backroad taking it easy about 50mph or so.
 
Going through this thread, I have to say that I've been on the way lower end of poor mileage (low 30s city and low 40s highway). I do have to calculate mileage by hand as I've got a stock '13 so rate of error is inherent, but I'm pretty good with math. Over the past couple of months my mileage has upped significantly as i'm getting around 44mpg in the city and 55 highway. My riding style hasn't changed nor my routes, should I just shut up and be happy about it?
 
I contemplated starting a new thread, but since this thread already has some good information, I figured I'd just add to it.

I was consistently getting between 40 and 42 mpg on my 2014 Std 6 speed.

I weigh about 230 lbs and do mostly suburban driving, ie., average speeds between 35-45 mph but a fair amount of stop signs and lights.

This Spring I changed the oil out from Honda "dino" 10w40 and went with Rotella T6 15w40 full synthetic. My gas mileage immediately improved to 46-48 mpg... And it's been consistent.

Until last week... Yesterday I measured 52 mpg!

That's both by pen and paper and the built-in mileage calculator.

I have another bike that was acting like it had dirty fuel injectors, so I got some Techron injector cleaner for the other bike and it cleared things up.

I had half a bottle of Techron left over, so I dumped it in the CB1100 with a fresh tank of gas.

I had absolutely no apparent issues with the fuel injectors on the CB1100, but it seems like the Techron did some good. 52 mpg is an all-time high for me, and we'll see if it remains consistent.

FWIW, The 15w40 makes the valves a bit louder compared to the 10w40, but I did experience about a 10% mileage improvement immediately following the change to Rotella 15w40.

I know, correlation does not equal causation, and the slightly noisier valves are making me consider a Rotella T5 10w30 for next year, but I'm fine with the T6 15w40 for now.
 
That is believable Yata.

I used T6 5W40 and got 4.5 L/100 kms for level warm season riding on the CB1100 in southern Ontario. Very spirited riding I still got 5.0 L/100 kms which is still very good and directly comparable to your figures.

Not my normal riding, but ultra conservative on 80 km/h back roads I could manage 3.9 L/100 kms.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I contemplated starting a new thread, but since this thread already has some good information, I figured I'd just add to it.

I was consistently getting between 40 and 42 mpg on my 2014 Std 6 speed.

I weigh about 230 lbs and do mostly suburban driving, ie., average speeds between 35-45 mph but a fair amount of stop signs and lights.

This Spring I changed the oil out from Honda "dino" 10w40 and went with Rotella T6 15w40 full synthetic. My gas mileage immediately improved to 46-48 mpg... And it's been consistent.

Until last week... Yesterday I measured 52 mpg!

That's both by pen and paper and the built-in mileage calculator.

I have another bike that was acting like it had dirty fuel injectors, so I got some Techron injector cleaner for the other bike and it cleared things up.

I had half a bottle of Techron left over, so I dumped it in the CB1100 with a fresh tank of gas.

I had absolutely no apparent issues with the fuel injectors on the CB1100, but it seems like the Techron did some good. 52 mpg is an all-time high for me, and we'll see if it remains consistent.

FWIW, The 15w40 makes the valves a bit louder compared to the 10w40, but I did experience about a 10% mileage improvement immediately following the change to Rotella 15w40.

I know, correlation does not equal causation, and the slightly noisier valves are making me consider a Rotella T5 10w30 for next year, but I'm fine with the T6 15w40 for now.
I have used Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40 in all my bikes for years now, including an ST1300, Bonneville, Tiger 1050, 2 V-stroms, 2 CB1100s and now 2 NC 750's. The greatest difference noted was in a CB1100 that constantly balked on 3rg gear engagement; I had been using the Honda synthetic 10W-30 during the warranty period and thought that getting it broken in would clear it up. After switching to the Rotella the 3rd gear problem cleared up immediately.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I contemplated starting a new thread, but since this thread already has some good information, I figured I'd just add to it.

I was consistently getting between 40 and 42 mpg on my 2014 Std 6 speed.

I weigh about 230 lbs and do mostly suburban driving, ie., average speeds between 35-45 mph but a fair amount of stop signs and lights.

This Spring I changed the oil out from Honda "dino" 10w40 and went with Rotella T6 15w40 full synthetic. My gas mileage immediately improved to 46-48 mpg... And it's been consistent.

Until last week... Yesterday I measured 52 mpg!

That's both by pen and paper and the built-in mileage calculator.

I have another bike that was acting like it had dirty fuel injectors, so I got some Techron injector cleaner for the other bike and it cleared things up.

I had half a bottle of Techron left over, so I dumped it in the CB1100 with a fresh tank of gas.

I had absolutely no apparent issues with the fuel injectors on the CB1100, but it seems like the Techron did some good. 52 mpg is an all-time high for me, and we'll see if it remains consistent.

FWIW, The 15w40 makes the valves a bit louder compared to the 10w40, but I did experience about a 10% mileage improvement immediately following the change to Rotella 15w40.

I know, correlation does not equal causation, and the slightly noisier valves are making me consider a Rotella T5 10w30 for next year, but I'm fine with the T6 15w40 for now.
I have used Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40 in all my bikes for years now, including an ST1300, Bonneville, Tiger 1050, 2 V-stroms, 2 CB1100s and now 2 NC 750's. The greatest difference noted was in a CB1100 that constantly balked on 3rg gear engagement; I had been using the Honda synthetic 10W-30 during the warranty period and thought that getting it broken in would clear it up. After switching to the Rotella the 3rd gear problem cleared up immediately.
I see a lot of people here have used the T6 5w40, but after a visit to the "Bob is the Oil Guy" forum, I decided to go with the 15w40 due to its resistance to shearing.

From my understanding, the downside to using oil that's too thin is premature cam wear, which won't show itself until it's too late.

I'm absolutely convinced that the 15w40 is the correct weight and viscosity for my VT750 Shadows, but it does add some valve noise to my CB1100.

I'm considering the Rotella T5 10w30 for my next oil change interval, but since the T6 15w40 seems to be giving me good results otherwise, I plan to leave it in for 4k miles.
 
Back
Top