Gas Mileage?

holy..computer is pretty accurate in my experience. I fill up on side stand into the neck every time and reset the B mode to zero (I use A mode to keep track of daily mileage). Drive say 150 miles. Refill same way to same spot and see how many miles driven then reset B to zero. When I check mileage against the computer by dividing miles driven by gas used to fill back up, it is always within 1 mpg.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The very best I've scored, and I think it was an aberration, was 52.9 mpg. My average is 44.2, and I don't think I ride it very hard. So, either you chaps in the US are incredibly gentle, or there's been a change. In something.
I dont know. Im pretty gentle for the most part but speeds over 60 mph seems to kill gas mileage on the 1100. Im a 5 speed too. Still learning but conditions play a huge role on where and how you ride. I dont think this will be as good as my 750 overall but under certain conditions it seems to do as good if not better but when you ramp it up to 70 mph it really sucks the gas. One of my buddies gets 42 mpg out of a Goldwing 2 up and I can only manage 44 so far. :blush:
 
The ferret_imp said:

It's aerodynamics. The upright riding position doesn't help. The amount of power required to overcome aerodynamic drag rises on a steep curve as speed increases. Consequently, your MPG will follow a mirror image, steep downward curve as speed increases.

We deal with this in the airplane world all the time. If you want to get somewhere fast, you pay for it with a higher fuel burn. If you're not in a hurry, you can save a substantial amount of fuel over the same distance by cutting the speed down.
 
How is everyone getting such high milage? I am on a 2014 standard six speed. I am pretty tame and average I get high 30s to mid 40s. Is the 2014 models tuned different?
 
Y'all are obsessed with all this MPG talk. Economic transportation never crossed my mind, when I purchased this bike, and still hasn't. I put gas in. I go. I smile a lot. The Smiles Per Gallon is great!
 
holy666diver_imp said:
How is everyone getting such high milage? I am on a 2014 standard six speed. I am pretty tame and average I get high 30s to mid 40s. Is the 2014 models tuned different?
Mine IS a 2014 6 speed.

I've said it before but I'll repeat. I think my good mileage comes from the environment I ride in. Rural Ohio, very little traffic, few stop lights, few stop signs, steady throttle hand and steady speeds, no hard starts, no hard stops unless someone pulls out in front of me. It would be extremely rare for my tach to see 4,000 rpms. Once I leave my driveway I run mostly gentle curves for basically as long as I want to go, very little shifting, between 45 and 60 miles per hour steady. In that environment I get good mileage. Around 56 mpg.

If I go down into the city, or the suburbs of the city, where there is stop and go traffic, congestion, lots of lights or stop signs, lots of shifting or have to get on the freeway, my mileage drops precipitously down into the 40s.

Didn't buy the bike to get good mileage, not TRYING to get good fuel mileage, it's just a byproduct of where and how I ride.
 
The ferret_imp said:
holy666diver_imp said:
How is everyone getting such high milage? I am on a 2014 standard six speed. I am pretty tame and average I get high 30s to mid 40s. Is the 2014 models tuned different?
Mine IS a 2014 6 speed.

I've said it before but I'll repeat. I think my good mileage comes from the environment I ride in. Rural Ohio, very little traffic, few stop lights, few stop signs, steady throttle hand and steady speeds, no hard starts, no hard stops unless someone pulls out in front of me. It would be extremely rare for my tach to see 4,000 rpms. Once I leave my driveway I run mostly gentle curves for basically as long as I want to go, very little shifting, between 45 and 60 miles per hour steady. In that environment I get good mileage. Around 56 mpg.

If I go down into the city, or the suburbs of the city, where there is stop and go traffic, congestion, lots of lights or stop signs, lots of shifting or have to get on the freeway, my mileage drops precipitously down into the 40s.

Didn't buy the bike to get good mileage, not TRYING to get good fuel mileage, it's just a byproduct of where and how I ride.
That pretty much covers the top two factors that determine mpg. Relatively low speeds and not a lot of throttle variation (i.e. stop and go).

Theoretically, the CB could turn in MPG numbers in the 70s, but you'd have to a) find a very long road where it would be possible to maintain a steady 35 mph or lower and b) want to travel a long distance on such a road.
 
That makes sense I basically do all traffic riding and go except a few good runs on the freeway. I don't rev over 4k very often either. How long are your day to day trips?

The ferret_imp said:
holy666diver_imp said:
How is everyone getting such high milage? I am on a 2014 standard six speed. I am pretty tame and average I get high 30s to mid 40s. Is the 2014 models tuned different?
Mine IS a 2014 6 speed.

I've said it before but I'll repeat. I think my good mileage comes from the environment I ride in. Rural Ohio, very little traffic, few stop lights, few stop signs, steady throttle hand and steady speeds, no hard starts, no hard stops unless someone pulls out in front of me. It would be extremely rare for my tach to see 4,000 rpms. Once I leave my driveway I run mostly gentle curves for basically as long as I want to go, very little shifting, between 45 and 60 miles per hour steady. In that environment I get good mileage. Around 56 mpg.

If I go down into the city, or the suburbs of the city, where there is stop and go traffic, congestion, lots of lights or stop signs, lots of shifting or have to get on the freeway, my mileage drops precipitously down into the 40s.

Didn't buy the bike to get good mileage, not TRYING to get good fuel mileage, it's just a byproduct of where and how I ride.
Mine IS a 2014 6 speed.

I've said it before but I'll repeat. I think my good mileage comes from the environment I ride in. Rural Ohio, very little traffic, few stop lights, few stop signs, steady throttle hand and steady speeds, no hard starts, no hard stops unless someone pulls out in front of me. It would be extremely rare for my tach to see 4,000 rpms. Once I leave my driveway I run mostly gentle curves for basically as long as I want to go, very little shifting, between 45 and 60 miles per hour steady. In that environment I get good mileage. Around 56 mpg.

If I go down into the city, or the suburbs of the city, where there is stop and go traffic, congestion, lots of lights or stop signs, lots of shifting or have to get on the freeway, my mileage drops precipitously down into the 40s.

Didn't buy the bike to get good mileage, not TRYING to get good fuel mileage, it's just a byproduct of where and how I ride.
 
Holy..looking at my log I have ridden 28 out of 31 days this month (not sure if I will get out yet today..watching my grandson and its raining) I have ridden 2,486 miles on 3 bikes, so average is 88.7 miles per day.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
Y'all are obsessed with all this MPG talk. Economic transportation never crossed my mind, when I purchased this bike, and still hasn't. I put gas in. I go. I smile a lot. The Smiles Per Gallon is great!
Mate, this forum is a veritable asylum of obsessions. My friend, we are lunatics from the website of the two-wheel highway, psycho-ceramics, the cracked pots of mankind. Look at it - o*l, tyres, mileage, mystic vibrations, farkling. The list goes on and on. Nurse Ratched would have her hands full here. Believe me, I'm the only sane one.

Cheers
Oh no! I nearly forgot - crush washers for the oil drain plug. He, he he he he ...............
 
Okay, getting back to the inconsequential issue, due to the cooler weather I took my Street Shield off and put on my Plexifaring. My gas mileage dropped from 62 MPG to 57 MPG. Guess the big shield does have more drag.
 
Last few rides have been frigid - lower 40s - and shorter. According to the mileage computer I'm right around 39-40mpg, and that is with a mellow throttle hand. Not getting up to full operating temp is killing my mileage. Cold weather is for the birds.
 
Todd_K_imp said:
Last few rides have been frigid - lower 40s - and shorter. According to the mileage computer I'm right around 39-40mpg, and that is with a mellow throttle hand. Not getting up to full operating temp is killing my mileage. Cold weather is for the birds.
Wow, Todd, that is low. I rode out I-88 today to Dixon then up to Rockford where I filled up. The wind was wicked - strong headwind with gusts of over 30mph (so said the weather guy) and it felt like it. (Temps in the mid thirties - God Bless heated gear) The mpg at Rockford was still 49.7, which was off my overall average of 53. The ride back had that awesome tailwind and I got 60.8 - a new high for me.

I just checked my fuel app log and my all time lowest was 45.5 which was a trip to St. Louis - all highway and rarely under 75-80 mph.

The bike turned over 3,600 miles on the clock today. And I am diggin' it more all the time.
 
Hey Tim - heated gear... What a novel concept. I'd be interested in getting your recommendations - battery operated, or did you run an outlet off the bike?

Hope you're doing well!
 
Hey Todd I have heated gloves, pants & jacket. Wired to battery! They make adaptors that plug into your battery tender to your heated cloths controllers. :). Ride warm
 
I am 220 lbs and double wife 165 lbs,running 19 front sprocket and plex2 windshield. I check every tank and in the 50s mpg. Exception was on interstate alone at 80 mph for whole tank and got 44 mpg
By the way this is a 2013
 
Back
Top