Gas Mileage?

Most of my driving is to Fort Knox and back, about 120 miles round trip. Mostly 4 lane. Recent mpg has been 50-56. That's with a Plexi 2. I guess it also depends on my mood that day!!!
 
My tank Saturday was 53 mpg calculated not using the fuel computer
 
I normally don't get great mileage, as I tend to overly enjoy the bike's capability to accelerate :P

Last weekend I was doing an afternoon run on the back road to Tucson and decided to channel the spirit of Ferret to see what kind of mpg I could attain. It worked! Using the throttle lock, I spent 125 miles between 65 and 70 and pulled off 53 mpg. That's with the NC deflector up front. I don't think I could do any better unless I went slower.
wayne van horn_imp said:
as your air filter get's dirty your mpg will go up. I'm not changing my out untill I have 30,000 miles on the bike.
Not sure how that would work. On a carbed bike your mixture would get richer and mileage would go down. On an FI bike, the computer should adjust your mixture to compensate for the reduced incoming air flow. You'd have less overall power available (due to the intake restriction) for which you'd compensate by opening the throttle further.
 
I'm like a human throttle lock lol. Actually where I ride, very little traffic, very few stop signs and almost zero traffic lights it's easy to cruise for hours without having to vary throttle setting a whole lot. Roll off for a curve, roll it back on for the next straight.... repeat.... a lot!
 
I was running around 45 mpg, then added cat free headers. Mileage dropped to the mid to high 30s. I guess I've settled down a bit because the average on the last tank was 44mpg.
 
While not an accurate measure my first fill up figured at 51.8 mpg. Kinda gives me an indication of what to expect down the road.
 
lukeduck_imp said:
While not an accurate measure my first fill up figured at 51.8 mpg. Kinda gives me an indication of what to expect down the road.

It should get a few mpg better once the motor breaks in.
 
Just finished my first tank last week - 148 miles and 48.4mpg. I don't usually keep track of that kind of thing on bikes, but since it was the inaugural fill-up, I thought I'd see what I was getting.
Oddly, that's a bit better than my twin 865cc Bonneville...
 
thinking about this thread, today was an experimental day for me and the 14 DLX, in terms of gas used, miles ridden etc and computer vs calculater.

My previous highest distance on a single tank was 203 miles.

today while riding I looked down and was in the high 160's. Hadn't gone to flashing and count down mode yet.

Ride on.

At 172.5 my last bar started flashing and the count down started at 65 miles of fuel remaining.

Ride on

The count down mode continued as I rode..60, 53, 49, 41, 39, 32, 30 as the miles ticked away

Ride on (but not much further)

At 27 miles remaining I pulled in for gas (Heck I don't know how accurate this thing is and I didn't want to push)

Toggling thru I had gone 220.1 miles on this tank.
Computer said I had used 4.0 gal gas
Computer said I averaged 54.7 mpg

So I filled it up as usual, into the neck

Took 4.03 gal to fill
Calculator says I averaged 54.6 mpg
Calculator says there should be .57 gal of gas left (or approx. 31 miles at 54 mpg)

Computer said I had used 4.0 gals, and 4.03 was needed to fill
Computer sais I averaged 54.7 and I figured 54.6

That's pretty dang close.

and I know if push comes to shove I can go more than 225 miles on a tank (theoretically 251.16)

I don't plan on finding out though, any time over 175 is a good time to refill.
 
Looks like the fuel computer is pretty darned accurate. If I were you I'd test it a few more times to verify that.

I fly a few planes that have fuel flow meters/computers and I don't pay any attention to them until I've filled up a few times and compared the numbers.
 
Gingersdaddy_imp said:
Checked my gas mileage again over the last couple of refuels. I don't check every tank and not really that concerned about it, but just wanted to share. I'm at only 42 mpg. I do not consider myself to be a speed demon and I don't see how some of you are redline shift this thing, she's got so much torque I never get past 5 or 6 grand even when I'm feeling wild. I feel like I'm hot-dogging it when I'm making my shifts between 3 and 4 grand. I am a rather large fellow and on freeway I feel like a parachute so maybe those factors are effecting my mpg. Not complaining, still love my CB. Good weather this week allowed me to commute to work three days this week, it was great! :)
I have recorded my gas mileage from day one, and I now have 1,800 miles. The majority of my riding is on the open road (back roads, here in Ca), but I do put freeway and around-town miles on. I believe that I ride conservatively most of the time, and don't laugh, but I have not increased the RPM past 6,000 yet (haven't seen a real need to). My exact fuel mileage is 45.
 
i get about 40-45. unfortunately my gas gauge is awful so I completely ignore that now, I like to get gas when it hits 120 miles on the tank...main reason for that is on my old bike I always - always - hit reserve at 120 miles....kinda became a habit.

I've had the low fuel light flashing at 75 miles before, gassed up and it didn't even take 2 gal to fill it...
 
Dave_imp said:
Gingersdaddy_imp said:
Checked my gas mileage again over the last couple of refuels. I don't check every tank and not really that concerned about it, but just wanted to share. I'm at only 42 mpg. I do not consider myself to be a speed demon and I don't see how some of you are redline shift this thing, she's got so much torque I never get past 5 or 6 grand even when I'm feeling wild. I feel like I'm hot-dogging it when I'm making my shifts between 3 and 4 grand. I am a rather large fellow and on freeway I feel like a parachute so maybe those factors are effecting my mpg. Not complaining, still love my CB. Good weather this week allowed me to commute to work three days this week, it was great! :)
I have recorded my gas mileage from day one, and I now have 1,800 miles. The majority of my riding is on the open road (back roads, here in Ca), but I do put freeway and around-town miles on. I believe that I ride conservatively most of the time, and don't laugh, but I have not increased the RPM past 6,000 yet (haven't seen a real need to). My exact fuel mileage is 45.
I have recorded my gas mileage from day one, and I now have 1,800 miles. The majority of my riding is on the open road (back roads, here in Ca), but I do put freeway and around-town miles on. I believe that I ride conservatively most of the time, and don't laugh, but I have not increased the RPM past 6,000 yet (haven't seen a real need to). My exact fuel mileage is 45.

Mine has never seen 6,000 not sure it has even seen 5,000. Most of the time I am cruising at 55 mph around 3,000 rpms. Plenty of power for me between 3 and 4 thou on the tacho.
 
The ferret_imp said:
thinking about this thread, today was an experimental day for me and the 14 DLX, in terms of gas used, miles ridden etc and computer vs calculater.

My previous highest distance on a single tank was 203 miles.

today while riding I looked down and was in the high 160's. Hadn't gone to flashing and count down mode yet.

Ride on.

At 172.5 my last bar started flashing and the count down started at 65 miles of fuel remaining.

Ride on

The count down mode continued as I rode..60, 53, 49, 41, 39, 32, 30 as the miles ticked away

Ride on (but not much further)

At 27 miles remaining I pulled in for gas (Heck I don't know how accurate this thing is and I didn't want to push)

Toggling thru I had gone 220.1 miles on this tank.
Computer said I had used 4.0 gal gas
Computer said I averaged 54.7 mpg

So I filled it up as usual, into the neck

Took 4.03 gal to fill
Calculator says I averaged 54.6 mpg
Calculator says there should be .57 gal of gas left (or approx. 31 miles at 54 mpg)

Computer said I had used 4.0 gals, and 4.03 was needed to fill
Computer sais I averaged 54.7 and I figured 54.6

That's pretty dang close.

and I know if push comes to shove I can go more than 225 miles on a tank (theoretically 251.16)

I don't plan on finding out though, any time over 175 is a good time to refill.
Ok, dont mean to hijack this thread but Ferret What did you get with your 750? I am all over the place because my situations vary so much. Or, what is the difference in gas mileage on a 750 and an 1100 in your experience?
 
I'm not Ferret, but my 750 gets 38-40 in town and around 46 on the freeway (75-80 mph). The other day I got a rare 50 mpg running back roads at around 60-65 mph.

The CB11 gets better mileage than the 750, which thankfully offsets the smaller tank size somewhat. About 42-43 in town and 48 on the freeway, with a high of 53 the day I tried to emulate Ferret's riding style:D
 
At 27 miles remaining I pulled in for gas (Heck I don't know how accurate this thing is and I didn't want to push)

EDIT: Above is supposed to be a ferret quote but I cut out the code for it.

Well if it was a car, I'd say it would go at least 30 more miles. Most cars will allow a few miles past zero intentionally in case the gauge, low fuel light, WARNING LOW FUEL on the dash and the dinging sound aren't enough to convince you to refuel.
 
Guess I'm the odd man out here (or maybe just an old fart the rides slow and easy). Now that the weather has warmed up and I switched my Plexi-faring out for a fly screen shield, I'm getting a consistent 62 MPG. I've got a little over 13,000 miles on it now and it purrs like a Singer Sewing Machine (if any of you remember what that's like).
 
Back
Top