Gas Mileage?

Gingersdaddy_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Checked my gas mileage again over the last couple of refuels. I don't check every tank and not really that concerned about it, but just wanted to share. I'm at only 42 mpg. I do not consider myself to be a speed demon and I don't see how some of you are redline shift this thing, she's got so much torque I never get past 5 or 6 grand even when I'm feeling wild. I feel like I'm hot-dogging it when I'm making my shifts between 3 and 4 grand. I am a rather large fellow and on freeway I feel like a parachute so maybe those factors are effecting my mpg. Not complaining, still love my CB. Good weather this week allowed me to commute to work three days this week, it was great! :)
 
I noticed when i put my cut down shield gas mileage improved. I have got as high as 58 mpg ( on a trip ) and usually average between 48-52 mpg. I also weigh 170 which can be a factor.
 
Same as you. I get betwen 40 and 42 mpg riding in town. I'd say 80% of my riding is in town between 3rd and 5th. 35 to 55mph. I change gear at any rpm depending on my mood. Rarely above 6k...Even though It's where the fun begins...
On cruising days, I get about 45 to 50 mpg on interstate at 60 to80 mph.
 
I weigh about 200lb give or take, that's before riding gear (all muscle).

With gear a bit more.

Don't see more than 40 odd mpg. Thirsty beasts.
 
Thread starter
avsbezzy_imp said:
Same as you. I get betwen 40 and 42 mpg riding in town. I'd say 80% of my riding is in town between 3rd and 5th. 35 to 55mph. I change gear at any rpm depending on my mood. Rarely above 6k...Even though It's where the fun begins...
On cruising days, I get about 45 to 50 mpg on interstate at 60 to80 mph.
Forgot to mention 2013 CB and very little city driving, mostly country roads and a short bit of highway.
Tortuga_imp said:
I weigh about 200lb give or take, that's before riding gear (all muscle).

With gear a bit more.

Don't see more than 40 odd mpg. Thirsty beasts.
In deed, I can almost see the gas gage move when I'm on the highway at 70mph.
CIP57_imp said:
I noticed when i put my cut down shield gas mileage improved. I have got as high as 58 mpg ( on a trip ) and usually average between 48-52 mpg. I also weigh 170 which can be a factor.
You know, I had the cut down shield on during the winter and did not check the mpg.:dodgy: I have it off now as I was only using it to block some of the cold off.
Guess I need to get my weight down, that would make my Doctor happy too. :D
 
Tortuga_imp said:
I weigh about 200lb give or take, that's before riding gear (all muscle).

With gear a bit more.

Don't see more than 40 odd mpg. Thirsty beasts.
Your gallons are different than ours and I would think you would be getting higher mileage due to that....hmmm.
BTW....I'm 255 straight out of the shower.
 
I'm frequently surprised at the mileage numbers I see posted here. 40-42 is the best I get, regardless of where or how I ride. I've never come close to the 50+ some of the guys report. 40 is fine; the bike runs perfectly and by 140 miles or so I'm ready to stop for a drain and fill anyway.
 
My last two fill ups with some long distance rides in there of an hour plus at 60-70 mph, basically not that much city riding and I am at 41.3 mpg. Oh and I am the heavy weight of the group weighing in at roughly 290-300 pounds.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Must be riding habits..I get 50 mpg on my ST 1300 and it's a 125 hp V4 that weighs 717 pounds. I also get on average about 11,000 miles out of my rear ST tires. Some people, same bike, same tire claim theirs are shot at 6,000 miles. Some guys also claim they only get 10,000 miles out of a set of OEM brake pads and I get 25,000 out of the same pads.
 
If I'm really easy on acceleration, I can get up to about 55 mpg, normally get about 49 mpg on mix of town, backroads and interstate. Lowest was about 42.
 
It's probably important to note the riding conditions and riding style when considering gas mileage.

My daily commute is only 5 miles each way, but is made up entirely of surface streets with plenty of stop signs and traffic signals. I don't wind the bike out too much and never get past 3rd gear during my commute. I'll typically get around 35 mpg when riding under these conditions. All of that stop 'n go riding really adds up when it comes to draining the gas tank. However, out on the open road, 54 mpg or so is more the norm, although I haven't checked highway mileage in quite some time. When I'm just out for fun, occasionally I will wind my bike out all the way through the first few gears, but I typically keep under 7K rpm and most often shift somewhere between 4k - 5K rpms. Basically, I like how the bike feels when the motor is working near the middle of its RPM range.
 
If we can't talk about oil, then gas'll be the go. It's everywhere this weekend. Maximum Range
 
I have not checked for mileage for my daily/weekly commute. But on the rides I have taken it has been at 49 miles per gallon. Riding at speeds of 60 to 75 mph on the road 30 to 35 mph going thru towns.
 
Had a nice 240 mile day on the CB today. Filled up twice MPG on both fill ups was 52 MPG. Very little interstate mostly 2 lane back roads. I go 200# and have the Chic Design Road Comet with the touring screen.
 
I consistently get 55-60 MPG. I ride mostly 2 lane back roads, run a National Cycle cut down Plexi-fairing and weigh 185 lbs. All my riding is at 5,500 -7,500 feet above sea level so the thinner air may help the gas mileage.
 
sanoke_imp said:
I consistently get 55-60 MPG. I ride mostly 2 lane back roads, run a National Cycle cut down Plexi-fairing and weigh 185 lbs. All my riding is at 5,500 -7,500 feet above sea level so the thinner air may help the gas mileage.
I think a cut down shield cuts down on a lot of drag. I was out yesterday and averaged 54 on highway and back-roads.
 
My last weekend ride that was a combination of some 65mph+ on the 4 lane and much 45-50mph on country back roads netted 56 mpg.

A trip of 200 miles with speeds from 65 to 85mph averaged 50mpg.

Really pleased with the mileage this bike is getting. Much better than my Guzzi 1100 Breva.
 
You guys make me sick. You must have the special bikes to get mileage like that. My best tank was 41.8 mpg.... I am wanting to say more here get in the 40's versus these miracle 50 pluses...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Average 42.4 mpg in 2200 miles.
All urban riding. 45 on the last tank...but that was after a speeding ticket...so I am watching the tach a little more...:(
 
Back
Top