Gas Mileage

ish_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Is that top gear? The CB is turning like 3000 rpms at 70. Wow

Edit I was wrong it's 3250 rpms

6th gear....speed vs rpm



Yes, that is 6th gear.

Going to try and find some non-ethanol gas for the cb1100, I also heard a wind screen helps the mpg too?
That depends on the windshield. At freeway speeds, my little NC Deflector would add a few mpg, while the big NC Plexistar tended to turn in a few mpg less than naked.
 
On one leg of my trip today I went 125.7 miles, took 2.5 gallons for 50.28 mpg

This is with me on it, big, wide, and tall with a stuffed backpack, 300 pounds, riding on the highway between 70-80 mph, with wicked cross and headwinds.

Just unreal.
 
I'm a bit confounded with my gas mileage. I get to anywhere between 120-130 before I fill up, and generally but in about 2.6/7 gallons, putting me in the 50-51mpg range. The problem? My gas light starts blinking around 100mi... Anybody else find the gas meter on the 2013 standard a little wonky? Fyi, I weigh around 145lb, but ride a lil' liberally ;) Only have gas with min10%eth here.
 
Yes it has been reported many times the gas meter is extremely pessimistic. My suggestion is to use either your a or b ( I use B) for miles on a tank and start going by that and forget the silly meter. you can probably go 50 miles once your last bar starts flashing, but you sneak up on it..go 20 miles and fill up and see how much it takes and reset your b meter then go 30 etc. Eventually you will figure out how far you can go and still have some gas left and use your B meter to tell you that. Hope I explained that so that you understand it. For example on my 13, I could go 180 miles on my B meter from filling up and still have about 1/2 gallon in reserve. I wouldn't wait until 180 to fill up most of the time, usually at 150 but I knew I could go 180 if I had to.
 
Dharma_Jones93_imp said:
I'm a bit confounded with my gas mileage. I get to anywhere between 120-130 before I fill up, and generally but in about 2.6/7 gallons, putting me in the 50-51mpg range. The problem? My gas light starts blinking around 100mi... Anybody else find the gas meter on the 2013 standard a little wonky? Fyi, I weigh around 145lb, but ride a lil' liberally ;) Only have gas with min10%eth here.
I get varying mileage depending on how and where I'm riding. In town, where I average in the low 40s mpg, it generally flashes at around 115 miles. On the highway where I get around 50 mpg, it usually starts around 135. One thing that is consistent is that when it does flash, I've got just over a gallon left.
 
It is disconcerting to watch that bar flash for mile after mile. Another nice thing about the 14s with about 65 miles left it starts counting down for you so you know exactly when you'll be pushing lol
 
Does it display a wee smiley at the moment it says "Ha, ha, ha. Now you have to push."!
 
It flashes ... " what's wrong with you, I've been warning you this would happen for the last 65 miles".

(this was intended as a joke... it doesn't really do that)
 
Lol. How very Honda.
 
The ferret_imp said:
It is disconcerting to watch that bar flash for mile after mile. Another nice thing about the 14s with about 65 miles left it starts counting down for you so you know exactly when you'll be pushing lol
Had that uneasy feeling coming home one evening. I had been enjoying the ride and scenery to the point of not watching the fuel warning blinking at me. Once I'd noticed, the nearest fuel stop was far off and the trip meter indicated over 150 miles. Made the fuel stop running on fumes as the fill-up showed near tank capacity.
 
The ferret_imp said:
It is disconcerting to watch that bar flash for mile after mile. Another nice thing about the 14s with about 65 miles left it starts counting down for you so you know exactly when you'll be pushing lol
It would be really nice if there was a way to reflash the control unit to add this functionality to '13s. It has to be theoretically possible as this must surely be only a software program. Wish I knew some engineers at Honda...
 
Okay, as long as I'm not losing my mind. I'll just need to get more used to the mileage and bring a spare can on longer trips...
I like the idiot light countdown timers. I've had those before which give you at least an idea of how long you've gone on the "reserve". But not so great if it starts way too soon.
 
I've basically come to the realization that anything less than 150 miles on a tank is OK and reset the trip meter each time I fill up.
 
On the recent Rainier CB1100 ride, I got 195 miles before the fuel gauge started blinking with my 2014 DLX. Measured out at 57.4 MPG. This is including several trips to redline passing cars, so I bet with careful use of the throttle I could get it over 60 MPG?
 
OK, I need to stop reading this thread before I start getting depressed about my lack of throttle control leading to my poor gas mileage.
 
Veech, my thoughts exactly. Just filled up again Sunday and I'm at 34mpg...but I have been riding two-up for a majority of that fill-up.
 
Back
Top