Gas Mileage

Specialist8, I weigh about the same and get about the same mileage as you do. I'm at around 2400 miles. I just chalked it up to the fact that I love to crack the throttle and can't expect good mileage with that driving style. I will say that when I really try to dive conservatively I get better mileage, but I don't think I have ever gotten better than the mid/upper 40's range. For that mileage increase it's just not worth it to me most of the time (unless I am in danger of running out of fuel). I say just enjoy it and don't over analyse it. And sometimes, ride it like you stole it!! :biker:
 
Veech, maybe I am cracking the throttle a bit liberally here and there. As long as my riding style is comparable to others in how their mileage reads, I don't feel so bad about being on the low end of the mileage reads.

General question though, the fuel stop that gas pumps use; do those work on motorcycles too? I manually pump my gas as I don't trust how those work on motorcycles gas tanks. If they do work, I'd probably get a better gauge of gas mileage as they'd stop filling at the same spot every time instead of me eye-balling the limit every time.
 
I never have had good luck with the fuel stops. I use a paper towel to catch drips when inserting or removing the nozzle from the tank, fuel by inserting into the tank and using the slowest flow (least lever squeeze) I can manage into the tank. Once it starts flowing I very carefully raise the nozzle up a bit so it is just inside the tank maybe an inch. I keep a close eye on it and once the fuel level gets up to the level lip inside the tank that's it. You pretty much have to eye-ball it or risk spilling fuel all over your tank. At least that's been my experience anyway.
 
I did a ride with a lady friend, we both weight about 130lbs.

2x people 260lbs
gear 50 lbs
going at a steady 75 mph

44mpg average 4 fill ups (not bad with crappy California gas)

On my Ninja 250 that I commute with I get 60 mpg and I am usually above 10,000 rpm!!! 0_o
 
veech_imp said:
10,000 rpm? Holy crap, I'd be afraid that would blow at any second!
It has 17,500 miles of wide open throttle abuse. Best $800 i have ever spent.


Sometimes its funner to ride a slow bike (with a 14,000rpm tachometer) fast..
 
Lol the exact reason I ride liter class bikes. You don't have to rev the snot out of them to get anywhere.
 
veech_imp said:
10,000 rpm? Holy crap, I'd be afraid that would blow at any second!
That's a tame rpm for the little ninja. As I recall, redline is around 14,000 rpm.
 
I never had a bike with that high a redline, so it was a bit shocking to me. I guess those little motors are made to really wind out so they can get some decent power out of them.
 
Back to gas mileage:

Todays fill up 157.2 mi 2.6 gals... 60.46 mpg. :D
 
Then again I am not running around at 10,000 rpms .... More like 2500 - 3000 rpms.
 
veech_imp said:
I never had a bike with that high a redline, so it was a bit shocking to me. I guess those little motors are made to really wind out so they can get some decent power out of them.
Hey beech, i took this on my way to work.


And people think the 2013 has a high rev cruise
1
 
I've heard from others on the forum that is true.

Mine is naked using 10% ethanol regular grade gas, very little stop and go 45-60 mph backroads riding.
 
ish_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Is that top gear? The CB is turning like 3000 rpms at 70. Wow

Edit I was wrong it's 3250 rpms

6th gear....speed vs rpm



Yes, that is 6th gear.

Going to try and find some non-ethanol gas for the cb1100, I also heard a wind screen helps the mpg too?



Yes, that is 6th gear.

Going to try and find some non-ethanol gas for the cb1100, I also heard a wind screen helps the mpg too? I like the break-in sticker there. I guess you're effectively limited to approximately 42mph for the first 1600kms.
 
Back
Top