Gas Mileage

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Dang it! What's wrong with my 2014? Only got 49 mpg on 2nd tank fill up. Just don't know if I can stand anymore less than $6 fill ups.;)
 
Don't worry dog, it will improve until you are in the mid 50s unless you are hammerin it all the time.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Don't worry dog, it will improve until you are in the mid 50s unless you are hammerin it all the time.
Apparently I have a "heavy hand" but have not been above 70 mph but I'm sure it will go much faster than that. Maybe when I get that windshield installed next week, I'll be able to cut thru the wind better.
 
I am still in the "break-in" so I am unclear on my potential mileage but in the first 70miles I am NOT getting nearly the above mileage.. Is the "first tank" usually consumed pretty quickly? With a little 3.9gal tank mileage matters..
 
Seemed to me, 2000 miles was where both of mine really settled into where the mpg was highest and constant. You should expect low to mid 50 s when broken in if ridden with a modicum of civility. Where you ride matters as well, country riding will yield better mileage than city riding with all the stop and goes. My 6 speed averages about 3 mpg more than my 5 speed did... 57 vs 54. I ride single up, country roads, 45 to 60 mph. On individual tanks I have gotten as high as 64 mpg on the 6 speed. On freeway jaunts with sppeds in the 70s that drops down into the 40s.
 
pwh421_imp said:
I am still in the "break-in" so I am unclear on my potential mileage but in the first 70miles I am NOT getting nearly the above mileage.. Is the "first tank" usually consumed pretty quickly? With a little 3.9gal tank mileage matters..
pwh, I just checked my fuel receipt from my first fill-up (I save all of them...) 70.5 miles, 1.208 gallons = 58.36 mpg. Adding up the first 1220 miles, 22.110 gallons = 55.18 mpg. Best mpg I ever got was 61.2, worst about 53.4. 2014 Standard.
 
Apparently I'm a terror on the throttle on my 2014 deluxe even though I don't feel like I ride like a hooligan. I'm at 1400 miles on the odometer and I consistently get about 42 MPG. Better than my FR-S but much worse than a Prius.
 
I'm too big to get the best mileage out of a bike but two tanks with spirited break-in riding has yielded over 50mpg

This is as good as the Triumph Scrambler and better than the MotoGuzzi V7 Stone and DR650 I've owned, despite being the biggest and heaviest bike of them all. Astounding!!!!
 
Ah... when you post MPG, would you also post weather or not you run with ethanol in your fuel? Mostly I can only get gas with 10% ethanol in it. The one time I was able to find ethanol free gas my mileage went up dramatically (like to 50mpg).

So I'm getting 42 mpg with ethanol gas.
 
I've been keeping track of my gas mileage since I bought my bike and I am only averaging 47.5 mpg. I don't think I ride it hard; I rarely tack it past 5k RPM, and these are mostly freeway and back road mikes. Most of my miles are two-up, if that makes a difference.
 
AndyHe_imp said:
Ah... when you post MPG, would you also post weather or not you run with ethanol in your fuel? Mostly I can only get gas with 10% ethanol in it. The one time I was able to find ethanol free gas my mileage went up dramatically (like to 50mpg).

So I'm getting 42 mpg with ethanol gas.
Yes, I use 10% ethanol gas. About all you can get around here.
 
When I was commuting 115 miles (round trip) a day I was getting between 47 and 50 mpg depending on if I kept it under 70 or not. I was using a windshield (Street Shield EX) and I was hovering around 250 pounds. All of this on California's lovely idea of gasoline. To put it another way my 2004 S10 was getting about 18 mpg when I lived in Illinois driving around town. Here that same driving nets me a whopping 13.5 mpg IF I'M LUCKY. The gas out here in my opinion is complete garbage.
 
The only time I've checked mine, in the 800+ miles I've put on my new 2013, I was at 41. But a lot of Texas backroads are 70 mph now.
 
On my recent Colorado trip I set a new personal best. On a 165 mile stretch where the twisty road kept speeds between 50 - 60 mph, I managed 58 mpg.

In the city with lots of stop and go, I tend to really make the most of the "go" parts and routinely get mpg in the low to mid 40s.

In steady highway riding, I've found that speed (i.e. aerodynamic drag) will be the primary factor in fuel mileage. If I can keep it in the 65 mph range, I get a consistent 50 mpg. At 75 mph on the slab, that'll drop to around 45 mpg.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Don't worry dog, it will improve until you are in the mid 50s unless you are hammerin it all the time.
True enough.

I was pleasantly surprised, on my first two long trips, to see my mileage go to the mid- to high 50s.

And I wasn't babying the throttle, either. What with the heat, I wasn't hammer down; but I was moving at 75, most of the time.
I might add here...the mileage is better than it was with my two-cylinder Burgman 650.

That...got around 49 to 50. And it had FI as well; and was faired in.

In fact...I don't think I've had a big bike that's done this well on fuel. Not my GL500; not the two BMWs.

One more thing to love about this...it's an ECONOMY ride.
 
getting in the lowers 50's mpg wise but I'm riding country backroads with no traffic or traffic lights, steady cruising at about 55 mph.
can't beat it!
 
Back
Top