Gas Mileage

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I was just wondering if something is amiss with my 2014 CB1100. The last 3 fill-ups I have been extra careful to be sure I am filling the tank to the same level. I then calculate my mpg with my trusty calculator. It shows 75-79 mpg. WHAT? Don't believe it. I should pay attention to the meter display to see what it shows, but I assume when I zero the mileage, all the displays are zeroed as well. Next fill-up I'll make a point to do this. I was expecting to see around 45-50 mpg as a stretch but not 75. The fuel meter bar seems to be working properly, as well as the speedometer. It is taking less than 3 gallons to fill up--more like 2.5 gallons.
 
lol well that would be the best on the forum. I have seen members post from the mid 30's to the mid 60's but never in the 70's. Just to make sure you are doing this right, you fill up and zero. Ride x number of miles and fill up again. then divide miles ridden by amount of gas required to refill.

188 miles ridden divided by 2.5 gals to refill would give you 75 mpg.

Doubt you are going 188 miles n your tank but anything is possible I suppose.
 
Anything is possible, nothing is real.

If it's a 6 gear EX, why not 70 and some mpg
very slowly driven.

My 2013 5 gear CB takes averagely 61mpg
over a distance of 30.000km.
Once on a tour it passes 70.
Well, I always drive the way of beeing aware
of a low fuel consumption.

Maybe the 6th gear creates gasoline wonders.

Wisedrum
 
I think part of our mileage calculations get thrown off by our optimistic speedometer (and therefor odometers). If I calculate my mileage using the odometer it's different than if I use Google Maps to get the distance (odometer is about +4% compared to true distance).

I guess 75 is possible, but that seems pretty high.
 
It says in his signature he owns a 2014 std , that would have a 6 speed, but only a 3.9 gal tank.
 
Maybe the odometer is set to read kilometers rather than miles? Is that possible on a USA CB? I don't have the owners manual handy to check.

EDIT: 75 km/gal = 46.6 mpg
 
I average about 45mpg between taking it easy and low rpms to dogging it as well. I have gotten 53mpg before tho


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
Maybe the odometer is set to read kilometers rather than miles? Is that possible on a USA CB? I don't have the owners manual handy to check.

EDIT: 75 km/gal = 46.6 mpg
You can't change the Australian odometer to read in miles, but I've a recollection you can change the US model to kms. Why that should be, I don't know.

The model may be wrong, but check this manual at around p.22, http://www.hme-tc.be/TRG_LIB/NM2013/CB1100/DOCS/CB1100A_OM_ENG.pdf
 
Thread starter
GOOD GAWD! The dang thang was set to kilometers, not miles! How the heck did that happen? I bought the CB1100 in the USA. This explains the high readings. Totally embarassed! Now I have a "Low Mileage" cycle. :-)
 
Well put it back on KMs and enjoy the good gas mileage. :rofl:
 
:rofl: What Ferret said.
 
Never happen lol. Our kids aren't bright enough for it and our adults are too stubborn
 
Here in the UK we buy petrol in Litres, travel in miles and mpg, buy timber and electrical cable in metres, tv's and screws measured in inches, temperature in centigrade, eggs in dozens (12) but my favourite which will never change....beer by the pint
 
All in favor of beer by the pint! Love the micro brewery explosion.
One of my bikes records distance in Km's, no choice; its Russian and acts like it every single day. Truly a tractor. I convert in my head. Others do mpg, CB1100 I figure at 50 mpg and gas up accordingly, CB500x is getting north of 60 mpg and is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
I think of it as smiles per miles and just enjoy the day!
 
I love the metric system. Not only for being base 10, but because 1l of water weighs 1kg and displaces .001m3. Makes ballparking weights and volumes incredible easy and intuitive.

That said I have no idea my height in meters or my weight in kg, so we (Canadians) are not fully converted yet...
curlyjoe_imp said:
The US has been in the process of converting to the metric system since 1975, lol. That's why we've had speedometers that read both Km/h and mph for many many years.

More on the subject.
I actually never knew that was why they were given in both. I always though it was to help out all the people who frequently drive between Canada and the USA.
 
The US has been in the process of converting to the metric system since 1975, lol.


I always thought that it was a secret conspiracy by Sears to force me to buy new tools every few years. First a socket set in standard, then a second socket set in metric, then one set of allen head wrenches, then the stupid star shaped allen head wrenches, then the star shaped with the teat in the middle, then God knows what else. Stupid metric system.

My favorite was working on Fords from the 80's, with the engine built on one line (not converted) and the body build on another line (converted). So you had to have both metric and standard wrenches to work on those.
 
marvincon_imp said:
Here in the UK we buy petrol in Litres, travel in miles and mpg, buy timber and electrical cable in metres, tv's and screws measured in inches, temperature in centigrade, eggs in dozens (12) but my favourite which will never change....beer by the pint
Some things must never be allowed to change. "Give us a pint, will ya?" sounds so much better than "Give us 0.57 litres!"
 
Back
Top