Gas leaking from overflow tubes

Edtheguy_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
1982 cb.900
Was running when parked 3 years ago. Added seafoam and topped off tank. Put in new battery and wont start. See gas dripping from what looks like overflow tubes from carb. Any suggestion?
 
Pull your carb bowls and clean the float needles. They’re sticking open. While you’re in there, a liberal shot of carb cleaner into the jets won’t hurt.
 
I would expect that it won't start due to flooding.

Most likely debris in the float valve and/or the float valve needle / seat is worn.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Just buy a CB 1100 !
I so much appreciate a succinct answer!
 
Sometimes my friend Houtman, although succinct and fast shooting, is dangerously wide of the mark. He keeps moderators on their toes!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Doc, yours is a better explanation than mine. Thanks for clarifying.
Not better.
We were typing at the same time but you hit the send button one minute sooner.
When I saw yours, I thought well I didn't need to post it all.

Grandson arrived from Georgia today. Do not expect to post again for some time.

Enjoyable riding to all!
 
After sitting 3 years, I suspect the gas has turned to varnish and gummed up the jets and their passages, and buildup is preventing the float needles from sealing. So the carbs will likely have to be removed and thoroughly cleaned.

If you're in there, I would recommend replacing the metal float needles, if they came with them, with rubber-tipped ones used on all later bikes.
 
Back
Top