Gas leak ?

gaby_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hello

I noticed awter a while under sun (summertime in south of France, very hot), I had a pretty massive leak that sent gasoline.

My dealer told me it's normal at the beginning ... did it happend to some of you ?

When it is parked in the basement, quite cool, there is no leakage (full tank or not), it is related with heat / sunlight

3fa706c1b918373d84f0492c11325b4d.jpg


Someone told me that maybe the blowhole is blocked

(Sorry if im not using proper wording :D )

Thanks

Gaby
 
G'day and welcome Gaby. That does not look normal to me.
 
I'm guessing the fuel in your tank just expanded enough to pour out the vent tube. I've never seen this on the CB, but I've seen it happen to lots of other bikes -- usually right after a fill-up and usually to people who sit on the bike and try to squeeze in every last drop.

If it keeps happening, maybe just try to under-fill a bit if you know it's going to be hot weather and you will be parked shortly after filling.
 
I was going to say gas tank filled with cold gasoline from underground storage tank, siiting in sun gas warmed up and expanded and had no where to go other than out vent tube. Seen it happen before.
 
That used to happen on my VT1100 Shadow Sabre, if the tank was full, and sitting in the sun for a while, like at work. It would just come out the vent tube.
 
regularworkingdad_imp said:
That used to happen on my VT1100 Shadow Sabre, if the tank was full, and sitting in the sun for a while, like at work. It would just come out the vent tube.
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
 
:rofl:

And btw should title of thread be gas leak? I can fix that if you want Gaby.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
regularworkingdad_imp said:
That used to happen on my VT1100 Shadow Sabre, if the tank was full, and sitting in the sun for a while, like at work. It would just come out the vent tube.
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Now look what you've done. RWD's taken his avatar photo down. And I went to all the trouble of fixing it for him.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
regularworkingdad_imp said:
That used to happen on my VT1100 Shadow Sabre, if the tank was full, and sitting in the sun for a while, like at work. It would just come out the vent tube.
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Now look what you've done. RWD's taken his avatar photo down. And I went to all the trouble of fixing it for him.
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Now look what you've done. RWD's taken his avatar photo down. And I went to all the trouble of fixing it for him.
Sorry,...are you the one responsible for installing the photo oz-side-down? ;)
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
regularworkingdad_imp said:
That used to happen on my VT1100 Shadow Sabre, if the tank was full, and sitting in the sun for a while, like at work. It would just come out the vent tube.
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Now look what you've done. RWD's taken his avatar photo down. And I went to all the trouble of fixing it for him.
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Now look what you've done. RWD's taken his avatar photo down. And I went to all the trouble of fixing it for him.
Sorry,...are you the one responsible for installing the photo oz-side-down? ;)
Based on the orientation of your bike in your photo I'm surprised that the fuel doesn't just pour out of the filler cap! ;)
Now look what you've done. RWD's taken his avatar photo down. And I went to all the trouble of fixing it for him. Too funny! Yes my pic was upside down, so I decided to delete it today. No matter what I did it was upside down, I even edited the photo to be upside down on my camera roll hoping that when I uploaded it here, that it would flip it right side up:) Nope that did not even work. I also tried to upload a pic to a post, and it came out upside down, so I kind of gave up on pictures on the forum. I already knew I was not that bright, but I did not figure I needed to reinforce that, every time someone saw a reply or post that I did!
 
It's possible that your gas cap fuel vent could possibly be partially clogged causing an increase back pressure in the tank. If this is the issue and it gets totally clogged your bike will not run
 
Hello guys.
I just had the same issue with my CB 2013. Based on the comments here, it seems to be related to higher temperatures.
I just checked the bike this morning and there is a small stain of gasoline in the floor, but the vent tube (I assume this is the name of the small pipe below the bike) is completely dry.
It looks like it leaked a little during the day, when it was warmer, but it stopped leaking during night due to the drop of temperature.

Anyway, I'd like to know if the problem is gone, gaby. Could you please comment?

Cheers, and have a nice Sunday, everybody!
 
Back
Top