Garmin GPS and USA Maps

Django

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi,

I'd like to ask, if somebody uses a Zumo 660 at his motorcycle and which maps would be installed for the US?

Does somebody use openstreetmap or what else material would you use?
 
I don't have a Zumo, but a similar model Garmin GPS. I use the "Full Coverage North America" map. It includes all of the US, Canada, and Mexico.
 
What about Waze or Sygic on your smart phone?
 
How 'bout "Navmii" for smartphone (e.g. Android)? It doesn't need a data connection and most maps are free. Phone must have GPS though, and most do now.
 
Zumo 550 user, have had it quite some time. Memory limited, probably due to age of unit, so I’m using SE US maps. Another bike also has a Garmin and on that I have the current Garmin update of US maps that works just fine, this unit gives me the option of avoiding highways which is my favorite feature. Never tried any open source mapping software. I’m quite familiar with Garmin plus Google maps on my phone.
Big downside to car based gps systems is water resistance, I thought a baggie would work fine, and it does for local rides but on a long trip I needed the Garmin and it failed during the 4th day of rain. So did my rain suit and boots, glad it was the summer.
 
Thread starter
Thank you very much for your input.

I've already a Zumo 660 with Garmin map coverage of whole Europe. Also I'm quite experienced to plan my routes and trips with basecamp. So, get maps for the US for my Zumo would just be straightforward.

I fiddled around a bit with openstreetmap maps, but haven't found a good solution right now. So I'm leaning to get the Garmin North Amerika maps. That would cost me 75 Euros, but it would work right out of the box without problems...
 
Django_imp said:
Thank you very much for your input.

I've already a Zumo 660 with Garmin map coverage of whole Europe. Also I'm quite experienced to plan my routes and trips with basecamp. So, get maps for the US for my Zumo would just be straightforward.

I fiddled around a bit with openstreetmap maps, but haven't found a good solution right now. So I'm leaning to get the Garmin North Amerika maps. That would cost me 75 Euros, but it would work right out of the box without problems...
That's worth quite a lot when you're trying to navigate in a strange country.
 
That's worth quite a lot when you're trying to navigate in a strange country.
[/QUOTE]

And what a strange country it is!
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That's worth quite a lot when you're trying to navigate in a strange country.

And what a strange country it is!
[/QUOTE]
And what a strange country it is!
[/QUOTE]

Hey, Bob! How’re you doin’?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That's worth quite a lot when you're trying to navigate in a strange country.

And what a strange country it is!
And what a strange country it is!
[/QUOTE]

Hey, Bob! How’re you doin’?
[/QUOTE]
And what a strange country it is!
Hey, Bob! How’re you doin’?
[/QUOTE]

All right! Life is hectic but good. The kids are about all grown and off to bigger and better things, so Tracey and I are looking to the next chapter. I'm sure it includes a lot more riding and probably a trip Down Under. It's been too long. Meanwhile, I have enjoyed reading your travelogues. Glad to see you and Mr. Pterodactyl are still putting in some miles/kilometers.
 
We were hoping to get in a few Ks before Christmas, but I overdid some renovating and my knee protested a bit too vigorously to get on the bike. January holds promise. Let us know when you're heading this way.
 
Back
Top