Garage Hangout

Last one wandered in the garage while I was changing oil. He stuck around for 19 years. Turned out he was a pretty good chick magnet too. He got my wife to stick around as well.
 
Stichill_imp said:
OK, I've seen some internet pictures of guys with elaborate garage hangouts that include stuff like a full whiskey bar with draught beer, etc.

Here's my hangout area. BYOBI&C :)

e6401a8bf4ac7f68bfb1b5a853f49eed.jpg


Where do you hang out in your garage with other moto-heads?
By the looks of it, you must not be married or have a family, but if you are and do, congrats! I only have a very tiny space for my two bikes and a bench and a comfy patio chair for my winter whiskey and cigar times.
 
I'm incredibly jealous right now... one of my best friends just moved and said "hey, why don't you guys come over for dinner." We did last night.
My friend has worked in several companies in the automotive industry, but doesn't really have the mind set to be an "employee." Over the years, he's made his niche dealing in automotive rarities on Ebay, and repairing and restoring brass era and classic cars.

His "new place" is a very nice ranch style home. The previous owner was a semi-well known hot rod builder. Behind the house, is a sprawling 2/3 acre lot that includes a huge shop with lifts, hoists, and detached office and paint booth. The previous owner's wife hosted charity events, so there is also an event pavilion and additional garage space that is larger than my entire home. And parking pads for his trailers and motorhome.

This place fell in his lap as if it were a gift from the gods themselves. I walked around bug-eyed, and all I could say was "I get to use all of this stuff when I need to, right?"
He said the magic, and very dangerous words "Yeah, and if you ever need to store an old car or motorcycle, no problem. I've got plenty of room."

Oh, the possibilities....
 
If nothing else, his lift will make it a heck of a lot easier to change my car's tires for track days.
 
How worried is Mrs Gi60 at this stage? :P
 
You read my mind, Cormanus. As we were leaving, I was constructing my next move in my mind. I figured I'd float a test balloon. A friend up north with a Mopar collection has finally, after several years, consented to sell me a '67 Dodge I'd been asking about. "You know, honey, Dave has finally said I could get that Dodge at a good price. This place would finally give an option for storage."

My wife is two things above all else. Rational, and a minimalist. Her mind was still swirling over how large and complex their property was, and how it would be a complete mind blow if we had it. The Dodge comment didn't register at first. She replied "Do you realize that they had to print a Google Earth image of their place just to figure out where their property ends?"

Half way home, I think the reality of my comment started to sink in. She deflected. "What year was that car he was working on in his shop? '33 or '34? Anyway, I'll bet it would be fun if you offered to help him work on it."
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
You read my mind, Cormanus. As we were leaving, I was constructing my next move in my mind. I figured I'd float a test balloon. A friend up north with a Mopar collection has finally, after several years, consented to sell me a '67 Dodge I'd been asking about. "You know, honey, Dave has finally said I could get that Dodge at a good price. This place would finally give an option for storage."

My wife is two things above all else. Rational, and a minimalist. Her mind was still swirling over how large and complex their property was, and how it would be a complete mind blow if we had it. The Dodge comment didn't register at first. She replied "Do you realize that they had to print a Google Earth image of their place just to figure out where their property ends?"

Half way home, I think the reality of my comment started to sink in. She deflected. "What year was that car he was working on in his shop? '33 or '34? Anyway, I'll bet it would be fun if you offered to help him work on it."
"is a sprawling 2/3 acre lot"

That can't be what boggles her mind is it? How big is the entire place?
 
You need to consider that in the Los Angeles area, 2/3 acre is very sprawling. It's also a weird shape and has several buildings, so without a top-down view, it's hard to picture where the boundaries are.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
You need to consider that in the Los Angeles area, 2/3 acre is very sprawling. It's also a weird shape and has several buildings, so without a top-down view, it's hard to picture where the boundaries are.
Really? Dang.
 
Yup. My wife and I own a small condo and the house my mom lives in. By California standards, we're land barons.
 
I have plenty of friends who have left So Cal to buy large properties in the Midwest and Southeast to be able to have the room to enlarge their car collections.
 
What is it about Orange County home construction that can be spotted a mile away? Looking at your pictures, I knew you were somewhere around here. Looked at your location, and yup, Fountain Valley. I like the print on the wall - looks like it came from Deus?

All I can say is if you can park your cars outside, you don't have the same HOA as me! :)
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
What is it about Orange County home construction that can be spotted a mile away? Looking at your pictures, I knew you were somewhere around here. Looked at your location, and yup, Fountain Valley. I like the print on the wall - looks like it came from Deus?

All I can say is if you can park your cars outside, you don't have the same HOA as me! :)

Print on the wall was a gift from my son, don’t know where he got it. Cars are on driveway. No parking on street fourth Friday of month. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top