Gaitors for front suspenders - opinions?

dsinned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
This looks like a simple mod, if you can install them from the bottom end of the forks by temporarily taking off the front wheel like changing a flat. True or False?

Is this a Honda OEM part or do you have to get a set made for other bikes? Who has them? I think they would look good on an all black standard model.

Any feedback from those in the know? TIA.
 
False you need to remove front wheel and drop one fork tube at a time.

The best I have seen and have on my bike come from a 2001-2002 W650 Kawasaki and cost about $100 a pair, but they are premium oem rubber and will last a decade. You can get cheap ones like $40 a pair but you will be replacing them in 2 years.

There is a How To in that forum with part numbers for the gaiters
 
Sorry didnt see a poll when I first clicked on the thread. have voted now, a resounding yes lol
 
Thread starter
Ferret, do you mean it is not possible to install them without taking the fork tubes off from the top as well, i.e. they will only slip on from top to down making it more difficult if not messy if the fork oil leaks out?
 
There are some that snap together in the rear, but I have not heard of anybody using them.

They actually protect the fork tubes and fork seals making the seals less likely to leak due to dinged tubes or rock chips or crusty bug parts
 
Of course the other side of that is you can't see what in heck is going on under there and dirt/grime accumulate on the dust seal and can create even more problems.

There is a product out there that cleans up the seal and can apparently cure very minor seal leaks, very thin "blade" that slides in betwixt the fork leg/seal.

If you take a look every so often and keep the forks clean they are a good idea as they for sure prevent rock chips.
 
I would likely put them on if it wasn't so much trouble. I already pulled the front end off once to change the fork oil so not really eager to do it again.
 
I love the look of gators...they scream retro

dadd091c8a33f14bc73192c4b2b86b4e.jpeg
[/URL]
 
Thread starter
Thanks Ferret. Still, seems like a lot of difficulty to put them on. You mentioned a set of gaitors that can be more easily attached without removal of the forks. Do you know the supplier of such a product?
 
Thread starter
Thanks Ferret. You are a wealth of information! Just what I was looking for . . . kind of pricey but would save a lot of time. Here is a set I found on Revzilla (free shipping / no tax) for $76.49, the lowest price I could find online.

Motorcycle Parts | Your Online Motorcycle Parts Store! - RevZilla


Question . . . in the spirit of saving money, wouldn't a suitable 1-5/8"D (~41mm, if such a size exists) length of plastic, convoluted, black tubing with several small cable ties, do essentially the same thing? Not as elegant of a solution, but would save a bunch!

The ferret_imp said:
 
They have to have holes in them for air to escape when the forks compress, otherwise air pressure may keep forks from working properly. Think of a bellows.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
I would likely put them on if it wasn't so much trouble. I already pulled the front end off once to change the fork oil so not really eager to do it again.

Next time you pull the front wheel for a tire change, you are almost there.
 
Back
Top