G310R

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I placed a deposit on a new BMW G310R today. My dealer is offering $1000 off all new '16, '17, and '18 BMW models purchased through 8/31. The G310R retails for $4750, so this makes for a compelling deal. The bikes aren't stateside yet, but hopefully in the next few weeks. The Monster 620 will go on eBay.
 
Are you serious? That's awesome. I'm so curious about that bike! What is it with the parallel motorcycle mentality, LR? :) :thumbsup: It's like a dream that BMW would make an advanced small bike; absolutely unexpected. Can't wait for your riding impressions.

The other small bike garnering intense curiosity for me is the parallel-twin CBR250RR.


 
Well, the price is certainly right. Lol

Congrats. Too bad it won't be there before we will. Would be fun to see it in the flesh.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Are you serious? That's awesome. I'm so curious about that bike! What is it with the parallel motorcycle mentality, LR? :) :thumbsup: It's like a dream that BMW would make an advanced small bike; absolutely unexpected. Can't wait for your riding impressions.

The other small bike garnering intense curiosity for me is the parallel-twin CBR250RR.




When I walked into the dealer to buy a bike four years ago, it was the tri-colour CBR500R that I wanted to buy.



But I didn't fit. :s
 
Thread starter
We looked at the CBR500R but the ABS version is not inexpensive. That said, I do like the bike, but it's about 75 lbs. heavier than the G310R (350 lbs. wet), which, along with a low seat height, is the most important consideration for the 5'4" gal who'll be riding it. That's where the Monster 620 is a winner (<30" seat height, 375 lbs. wet), but its APTC slipper clutch is horrendous. It's really difficult to launch and gearshifts are annoying clunky.
 
Sorry, but I just can't see BMW taking off $1000 on a $4700 motorcycle. I checked their promotions, and they do say up to $1000 off on select eligible motorcycles. And you need to be a current BMW motorcycle, car, or mini owner or have been financing thru BMW the past 12 months. Keep us posted if you actually do get $1000 off.
 
He is a current BMW owner if that helps.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
Sorry, but I just can't see BMW taking off $1000 on a $4700 motorcycle. I checked their promotions, and they do say up to $1000 off on select eligible motorcycles. And you need to be a current BMW motorcycle, car, or mini owner or have been financing thru BMW the past 12 months. Keep us posted if you actually do get $1000 off.
Exactly! I believe this is a dealer promotion, not a BMW promotion, and it's in writing. That's why I jumped on it. This is the same dealer who matched BMW's $1000 off season-end promotion with another $1000 on my F800GT, plus BMW threw in free bags. Kind of a no-brainer for a bike I was going to buy anyway.

I think I read elsewhere on this forum that BMW motorcycle sales are down nearly 20% in the U.S. vs. last year. That probably has everything to do with it. The price of their bikes has really gotten ridiculous.
 
That's great Long Ranger! So, I guess the dealers that want us to believe there's only a couple hundred dollars profit on a new bike sale are full of it.

I'm guessing sales are down not only because of the price of new bikes, it's that word has gotten out that having your BMW serviced by the dealers is outrageously priced too. And then there's the out of warranty repair costs that has people paying $2K for a final drive and $4K for a clutch.

(I don't mean to sound like a brand basher or criticize anyone's choices. Just stating what I know to be true. I've owned 7 or 8 BMW bikes in the past 20 years and am an officer in a BMW club)
 
Do you get free refills at Starbucks George? :rofl:
 
Thread starter
I don't have any facts, but I doubt the dealer makes $1000 profit on the G310R. Probably closer to 10%, so maybe $400-$500. That said, he must be getting rebates from BMW for doing this.

Hi George, I don't question the BMW maintenance horror stories you mentioned -- I've read about them too -- but my experience has been nothing of the sort. R-bikes, K-bikes, F-bikes, I've owned nearly every model since 1996, totaling about 225,000 miles, and have been very satisfied as far as cost of ownership goes. That said, all bets are off with the G310R, since it's made in India by TVS, but I'm sure it'll be fine. The bike probably won't see more than 2,000-3,000 miles of use per year, if that.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Do you get free refills at Starbucks George? :rofl:
I don't know what you mean.
Just for an idea on dealer cost, When I won the K1300S in the BMW Superstakes a few years ago, I wanted a different bike. So they showed me what BMW MOA paid for it from the Fatherland to show me what money I had to use on buying something else. The K1300's MSRP was $18,300 and they paid $15,500 for it. I assume that's what a dealer would pay without any other incentives.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Do you get free refills at Starbucks George? :rofl:
I don't know what you mean.
Just for an idea on dealer cost, When I won the K1300S in the BMW Superstakes a few years ago, I wanted a different bike. So they showed me what BMW MOA paid for it from the Fatherland to show me what money I had to use on buying something else. The K1300's MSRP was $18,300 and they paid $15,500 for it. I assume that's what a dealer would pay without any other incentives.
I don't know what you mean.
Just for an idea on dealer cost, When I won the K1300S in the BMW Superstakes a few years ago, I wanted a different bike. So they showed me what BMW MOA paid for it from the Fatherland to show me what money I had to use on buying something else. The K1300's MSRP was $18,300 and they paid $15,500 for it. I assume that's what a dealer would pay without any other incentives.
My guess is that The ferret was making a harmeless joke about the stereotypical BMW rider hanging out at Starbucks, at least that's how I took it...funny :D
 
If they are down 20% that surprises me- as the R9 seems very popular.

Maybe those that had to have it- got it. I guess there are only so many fish in the pond?
 
Thread starter
Around here, the stereotypical BMW rider wears a neon $1500 Klim Gore-Tex suit and vented ADV helmet with a long bill as he stands on the pegs of his filthy, overly-stickered, ammo box-laden, auxiliary lights ablazin', R1200GS Adv, cruising down the interstate at 80 mph (to the Starbucks, no doubt). His 70-year old buddy rides a R1200RT in shorts and sandals, fully loaded but with bald tires, oblivious to the perils around him. I don't see many R9's around here -- maybe they're all down in the city. Change of marque, but I've never seen a Thruxton R on the road either.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Around here, the stereotypical BMW rider wears a neon $1500 Klim Gore-Tex suit and vented ADV helmet with a long bill as he stands on the pegs of his filthy, overly-stickered, ammo box-laden, auxiliary lights ablazin', R1200GS Adv, cruising down the interstate at 80 mph (to the Starbucks, no doubt). His 70-year old buddy rides a R1200RT in shorts and sandals, fully loaded but with bald tires, oblivious to the perils around him. I don't see many R9's around here -- maybe they're all down in the city. Change of marque, but I've never seen a Thruxton R on the road either.
:rofl: That is funny!
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
If they are down 20% that surprises me- as the R9 seems very popular.

Maybe those that had to have it- got it. I guess there are only so many fish in the pond?
I have never seen an R9 on the road. I rarley see a BMW tourer either. However there are 2 BMW dealers in my "area", both a few hours away. There are 4 Harley dealers in town. We see lots of Harleys lol
 
Back
Top