Full or Open Face Helmet?

Hey Ferret: I was wondering something similar myself. I wouldn't know who still walks among us and who does not, but they leave an imprint that they were here.

This is another form of "people watching" that reminds us of humanity.
 
Back in the day a 3/4 was all we had. We quickly learned what it felt like to take a large bug, sand, and or small pebbles in the face at speed, and started using flat shields on our helmets. My riding buddy crashed one night wearing a 3/4 with flat shield in cold weather. Apparently the cold made the flat shield somewhat brittle, and it shattered, leaving some significant cuts on his face. The full face really did not start appearing until the early to mid 70s. I had one of the first full face, a Bell Tourstar. Unfortunately for me, full face always felt like wearing a bucket on my head. That combined with hot Texas weather was not something I was comfortable with. That said, I did want better protection than a 3/4.

That lead me to explore modular helmets. My first was a HJC CL Max. It was very comfortable, easy to put on my glasses, easy to open when I stopped for gas, and nice to open at stop lights to get air on my face. I then discovered that the latching system for the HJC chin bar back then was plastic...not good. More research, and I found the top rated modulars to be Schuberth and Shoei.

My current helmet is a Shoei Neotech II. All stainless steel chin bar latching system, integral sun visor, anti fog Pin Lock shield insert, and very comfortable. It also has a stainless steel micro ratchet chin strap, that can be secured and released with one hand, even when wearing gloves. The interior lining is removable, washable, and replaceable. I did have to tailor the fit with the next thinner size cheek pads, but no big deal there. Price was a bit steep, but comparable to the Schuberth, and some other premium full face brands. When it comes to protecting my head, I am getting the best I can afford, in something I will wear every time I ride.

Modulars might not be everyones cup of tea, and the level of protection is a little bit better in a regular full face, but it is what fits all my parameters. Then too, as it has been said many times, the best piece of gear has no value unless you are comfortable with it, and always wear it.

Although my Shoei Neotech II has some compromises between a 3/4 and a regular full face, my personal preference is added face protection.
 
After decades of wearing full-face helmets (Bell, Simpson, HJC, Shoei, Arai, Schuberth), I'm currently on my first modular, a Schuberth C3-Pro. No accolades, no complaints, but it is quiet which I appreciate. I think helmet selection and preference is very personal. One size does not fit all!
 
Pretty sure that would be a perfect match for my FJR, but I like wearing a white helmet for visibility

3d8df1fdb58c32bccf0b0d28aa7a1770.jpg
 
I only wear white helmets for the visibility factor too.
When I'm riding with my bike club the guys in white helmets pop right out in the sunshine while the guys in black/dark helmets don't and blend in too much to suit me.
 
The predecessor to my current helmet was white, purchased precisely for reasons of being more visible. It fell, finally, from a guide post while I was touring a couple of years ago and I had to replace it in a hurry. Persuaded in part by a riding buddy that black would look so much cooler with my black CB1100, and assisted by what was available, I bought a black one.

While it's a perfectly good helmet, I'll have another white one when the time comes. And not just for visibility; where I live, a white helmet attracts way less heat and for that reason is more comfortable to ride in.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The predecessor to my current helmet was white, purchased precisely for reasons of being more visible. It fell, finally, from a guide post while I was touring a couple of years ago and I had to replace it in a hurry. Persuaded in part by a riding buddy that black would look so much cooler with my black CB1100, and assisted by what was available, I bought a black one.

While it's a perfectly good helmet, I'll have another white one when the time comes. And not just for visibility; where I live, a white helmet attracts way less heat and for that reason is more comfortable to ride in.
Considered enhancing the visibility of the black helmet with wild, bright flashing, eyeball popping, battery-operated LEDs? :)
 
So fortunate too that everything ended up in the ditch vs. in a busy lane.

I had a similar experience once, however, it was downhill and the impact was shoulder, hip and helmet side. Your video feels almost the same. In my case the bike landed on top of me when all stopped moving.
 
What goggles are those ? They are killer . I love Biltwell Gringo helmets and the biltwell goggles ( have 3 pair , bit you can never have too many goggles right ?)



Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
GoldOxide_imp said:
So fortunate too that everything ended up in the ditch vs. in a busy lane.

I had a similar experience once, however, it was downhill and the impact was shoulder, hip and helmet side. Your video feels almost the same. In my case the bike landed on top of me when all stopped moving.
Ouch .. impact on shoulder and then have to bench press the bike off you ? I bet that was not pleasant at all

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
I have several helmets currently in the rotation:


This Rock Hard AC/DC helmet elicits a lot of comments at stop lights. Not particularly quiet but fits well and is very aerodynamic at speed. I can look all around and the helmet surface doesn't seem to 'bite' at any angle forcing me to fight against the aero drag. I would have loved to purchased one of their Evel Knievel paint scheme versions of this style but was too late. As it was this one was on a discontinued close out special for $99.00.

c699d832249541229be1d2e8fd9550f4.jpg


This Captain America clone was given to me by a friend of mine who sold his Harley. It is the least protective by far not just because of the lack of the chin wrap around but because when you pick it up it's almost a third in weight of the other helmets shown here. I wear it infrequently but REALLY like the wide, unobstructed peripheral vision it provides. I also like the chrome visor as t's 100% UV rated and really cuts down the blazing Utah mid day sun in the summer. Loud as all get out and I mostly feel guilty when wearing it due to the lack of protection.

cb952e0288c18cd76740d60f465df94a.jpg


This "Iron Man Helmet" was bought because the red in it matches the CB's tank and it had an internal sunvisor and at that time i'd never owned a helmet with one. Note. There are a couple of Iron Man helmet styles. One goes for about $500 +/- or so and I think this one was marked down 2 years ago from $299 to $249. It's quiet enough. I've worn it in rain and didn't have any leaks around the visor or via the neck gaiter. I found I REALLY like that internal visor option. Having it has allowed me to ride on hot days with the visor u but increased eye protection for bugs and sun. I usually wear a set of sun glasses under it and that provides all the sun mitigation I've ever needed. One bonus I didn't key in on is that the orange visor really increases detail on overcast/cloudy days or in the late evening before sunset. Riding through the southern Utah desert with the orange visor down on an overcast day makes it look like the surface of Mars. Very unique landscape appearance. The internal visor spring is starting to wear out (visor is very slow to lower and sometimes needs an assist. However, I've been exceedingly happy with this helmet and would buy one again I believe they are being phased out and have seen them on sale on a couple of websites at what I consider to be a very good price.

29cfee6837c6dd2e4ef4b9b59774de9a.jpg


Having owned the Iron Man helmet above with the internal visor for 2+ years I have to so I was so impressed with that option that I pretty much told myself from here on out any helmet I buy will have that or I'm not buying it. Well, one day 2 months ago I'm in Cycle Gear and knowing that I would be n that store as an incidental stop after I was done doing my primary sopping I checked their website the night before and saw this Bell helmet on sale. I've always liked this kinda throwback WW2 styling on a couple of versions of their helmets. While I was n the store I asked the sales clerk if they honor their web specials explaining that the helmet was $50 less. He said yes. so I picked it up and checked it out noting right away it didn't have an internal visor. It did however have their "Transitions Lense". The clerk allowed me to take it outside in the parking lot and BANG, the lens turned dark almost instantaneously in the sunlight. Wearing it, it wasn't all that dark on the inside however and I found that I really didn't need sun glasses. The lens appeared to be very optically correct around the curvatures on both sides. Just no distortion that I could ascertain. Well, I picked it up for $199.00 plus tax. The lens, the price, and the fact I think they're being phased out all pushed me to purchase it sans visor. Plus, I REALLY do like that paint scheme. The helmet isn't particularly quiet. In fact, it may be the loudest of the 3 full face ones shown here but if it is, it's not by much. Around town it's not an issue and out on the road I usually wear plugs anyways. Peripheral vision is OK and I love that lens. I've worn it for several hours now and find it exceedingly comfortable. No buffeting at speed when looking around.

7089c59a66da942b94246ce6cfed9d21.jpg


Note: All colors are more vibrant than the pictures indicate.

I'll try to post up some more helmets over the next few days time allowing. I think in the next month or two I'm going after one of those helmets with the Isle of Man graphics.
 
Bigskyorbust_imp said:
What goggles are those ? They are killer . I love Biltwell Gringo helmets and the biltwell goggles ( have 3 pair , bit you can never have too many goggles right ?)



Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
GoldOxide_imp said:
So fortunate too that everything ended up in the ditch vs. in a busy lane.

I had a similar experience once, however, it was downhill and the impact was shoulder, hip and helmet side. Your video feels almost the same. In my case the bike landed on top of me when all stopped moving.
Ouch .. impact on shoulder and then have to bench press the bike off you ? I bet that was not pleasant at all

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Ouch .. impact on shoulder and then have to bench press the bike off you ? I bet that was not pleasant at all
Thanks Bigsky. I was lucky. I thought I broke a leg, but was walking after 30 minutes. I was limping for many days. The hip was seriously bruised from a crushed FRS radio that was there. The LiON battery began smoking. I believe the luck was the shoulder not breaking. Tensed muscle and padding likely made the difference. I recall saying, "Wha the f-bomb" [ ... in slow motion ... ] while going down. The boots definitely saved my ankles as they were tied up in the underframe and exhaust system. Yes, pushing the bike off the legs uphill I recall being a chore - and I also remember the engine not killed. The good news was three weeks later I was riding down to NH for some glorious country cruising, albeit with a smashed windshield.
 
Wow .. crazy . So glad you got through it and right back on with little downtime .

We get so used to firing it up and riding all the time without any issues ( other than the normal exercise of making your way along amongst idiots on 4 wheels ) .. in a way I imagine it is good to be reminded that we can go down at anytime , and just prepare ourselves for it as much as is possible and hope and pray that it never happens .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Bigskyorbust_imp said:
Wow .. crazy . So glad you got through it and right back on with little downtime .

We get so used to firing it up and riding all the time without any issues ( other than the normal exercise of making your way along amongst idiots on 4 wheels ) .. in a way I imagine it is good to be reminded that we can go down at anytime , and just prepare ourselves for it as much as is possible and hope and pray that it never happens .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Thanks Bigsky. Full helmet and decent shoulder pad and riding boots played key roles.
 
Back
Top